• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Question Service provider section in android still displays old provider after switching provider

Search This thread
Hi everyone,

I came across a very perculiar problem for which I am hoping you all might have a solution other than try a factory reset (this is time very consuming) or rooting (I don't want to root).

I recently changed provider. I live in The Netherlands and moved from Vodafone to Simyo (a KPN company). I used the option to retain my mobile number but I got a brand new (nano) sim card from Simyo.

Now first of all, the service of my new provider is working fine, I can call, have 4G internet and the app recogizes my usage so no complaints there.

I have an unlocked phone, purchased straight from the Samsung website, my Vodafone subscription was prepaid, my current Simyo subscription is sim only.

So what I found is that when I go in to connection settings, there is an entry in the menu displaying service provider. This entry still lists my old provider and when I click on it, it recommends me to install the app of my old provider.

What I've tried so far: turning off phone, taking out sim card, waiting 10 minutes, turn on phone, then the service provider section is gone, then turn off phone, put back the Simyo sim card, wait 10 minutes, turn on phone. ---> After a short while the section service provider apears in the menu again and displays Vodafone. I also tried manually selecting my new provider from the scanned list but this did not change anything either.

Now the above makes me think that this service provider might be linked to the phone number itself, however I can't rule out it somehow stored this somewhere and just reads it from backup.

Anyway, I don't want to go do a factory reset. Setting all my authenticators, bank apps, government apps, etc is such a chore :p.

Below some screenshots to clarify what I am talking about:

Service Provider 1.jpg

Service Provider 2.jpg

Thanks for your help and time!

Last edited:

Ipse_Tase

Feb 29, 2012
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Could it be that Simyo roams on Vodafone? If not (mine shows "Partner" when roaming) then try putting the phone in airplane mode for a while, see if that helps.

You won't be able to force a provider from the list, in my experience at least where I live that has never worked in the last 10 years. Leave it auto.

Everything else failing, call Simyo to check the subscriber provisioning.

Reactions: Ryan3041981
Just a wild thought: Would clearing cache and storage from "Carrier Services" help?

It's a benign experiment so you could try it and see if it makes a difference... Put phone in Airplane mode first, then find Carrier Services under Settings>Apps and then Force Stop, then under Storage, clear Cache and then clear Data.

I don't have any solid scientific basis for recommending this, but since Google recommends the same to fix broken RCS due to carrier issues, I thought you just might have a little luck trying it out. Nothing to lose.

Reactions: Ryan3041981
Could it be that Simyo roams on Vodafone? If not (mine shows "Partner" when roaming) then try putting the phone in airplane mode for a while, see if that helps.

You won't be able to force a provider from the list, in my experience at least where I live that has never worked in the last 10 years. Leave it auto.

Just a wild thought: Would clearing cache and storage from "Carrier Services" help?

It's a benign experiment so you could try it and see if it makes a difference... Put phone in Airplane mode first, then find Carrier Services under Settings>Apps and then Force Stop, then under Storage, clear Cache and then clear Data.

I don't have any solid scientific basis for recommending this, but since Google recommends the same to fix broken RCS due to carrier issues, I thought you just might have a little luck trying it out. Nothing to lose.

Hi Ipse and Enigmaamit,

Thank you for your suggestions.

First regarding the roaming, I am fairly certain this is not the case. The network it selects is the KPN one and is shows Simyo as provider. I also disabled roaming to try it out. KPN used to be the Dutch state network and inherited that infrastructure. If anything Vodafone probably uses some of the KPN network structure. I also live in one of the bigger cities in a low building area so I expect the coverage is not an issue.

As for the cache clearing, I forgot to mention that I went in to recovery mode and cleared my android cache. I also tried clearing the carrier services but that cache is already 0 and it also indicated its not my default program. I did clear all data but to no effect.

I fear what happened is that as soon as I inserted the vodafone prepaid sim it somehow aquired some piece of software from the network and installed this on my phone. I am wondering still if it is possible that this software is number bound and if android has some option to look up what provider uses that number and then suggests the software of that number.

The helpdesk of Simyo is also not able to provide an explanation.

Its OK for me, I don't mind it showing Vodafone in some obsucre part of the menu structure but I am curious if there is a solution and what is causing this :p

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.