Set custom sms/email sounds on Samsung Ativ S

Search This thread

silvestro1

Sep 16, 2013
Vienna
(I'm posting this in the Questions Forum because i have not enough posts to either create a topic in the Development and Hacking Forum or reply to the registry hacks-thread.
But since it's also somehow a question I hope it's ok in here.)

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Edit October 15th, 2013: With the GDR3-Update you get this feature built-in, so no more need to do this then!

Hi Folks,

while AlvinPhilemon found out a registry tweak to set custom sounds on the Samsung Ativ S (as explained in this post), it is not quite practical, since you can't see the sound in the list with the others, so you can't choose or switch them without always edit the registry.

I found another way to do this, and I think it's a bit more elegant (see attachment to have a look), although it only can change the sms, e-mail or mailbox sounds.

This is what you need:
1. Interop Unlock
2. Registry Editor (use SamWP8 Tools)
3. Full File System Access (use SamWP8 Tools)
4. Your Notification sound (I tried mp3-, wav- and wma-format, all worked)

This is how you do it:
1. On your PC, browse to your Phone\PROGRAMS\CommonFiles\Sounds\ and paste your new sound there.
2. To make it visible in your sounds selection list inside the Settings-app you have to create a registry entry: Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shell\OEM\Sounds\Notifications\ (This is the Samsung specific location for notifications; I tried the whole thing with the standard Microsoft sound location HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shell\Sounds\Notifications\ but it didn't work). In this registry location you can see a list of the the existing Samsung notification sounds ("Knock.wma", "On time.wma" and "Whistle.wma") and how their name is displayed in the Settings-app ("Knock", "On time" and "Whistle").
3. Create a new key and set the Value to the name of your soundfile (for example "Silvestro.mp3"), the Type to String and the Data to the name how you want it to be displayed. There might be an error notification after writing, but just read the key to check you wrote it correctly.
4. Done! Go to the Settings-app and choose the newly created sound as message, mailbox, or e-mail-sound!

What do you think of this solution? Of course it would be nice to pack this feature in an app that first lets you choose a soundfile from the Public or SD-Folder, then copies it, then creates a registry entry and then also is able to delete those things an put everything back to normal, but since I'm just starting with C# there's no way I can do this myself. Anybody interested in trying?
Thanks for your comments!

Attachments

• wp_ss_20130930_0005.jpg
    wp_ss_20130930_0005.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 751
Last edited:

GoodDayToDie

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 20, 2011
Seattle
Very nice work, and good tutorial. It would, indeed, be good to get an app to automate this. You would need ID_CAP_SOUND_CONTROL (may require full capability unlock); this capability should enable both the requisite file system and registry access.

sinister1

Feb 28, 2009
Houston
It's a shame that is not available by default like on every other smart and dumb phone in the world. This is one of WP many short comings that MS refuses to address.

Donge900

Nov 27, 2006
Stiens
Thanks

Nice tuturial, thanks.

I am a satisfied galaxy s4 owner. Before this phone i had the htc 8x. I liked wp8 a lot, but unfortunally some essential apps (for me) where still missing. Beside the very good os, i also like all the default sounds. Thats where my question comes in.

I'm looking for the complete set of Windows phone 8 notification sounds. Is it possible to copy them from a wp8 phone and post them here? I would like to have the windows sounds in my galaxy.

silvestro1

Sep 16, 2013
Vienna
Great news!

With the GDR3-update comes the feature to set custom sounds for Messages/Mailbox/Reminder!
So this is no longer needed...

hans1961

Dec 30, 2013
more easy way

I just renamed my ringtone the same as the existing tone in the map \PROGRAMS\CommonFiles\Sounds\.
Then I renamed the original sound (I have put "old" in front of the original tekst.)
Now I copied the rington in the map \PROGRAMS\CommonFiles\Sounds\.
Choose the ringtone on your phone, and it plays your ringtone.
I converted the mp3 ringtone to wma. I didn't try if it plays mp3.
The name of the original ringtones doesn't match the name in the phone, but you can play them first on your pc, to see witch one to replace.

Reactions: rvsrf

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    (I'm posting this in the Questions Forum because i have not enough posts to either create a topic in the Development and Hacking Forum or reply to the registry hacks-thread.
    But since it's also somehow a question I hope it's ok in here.)

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Edit October 15th, 2013: With the GDR3-Update you get this feature built-in, so no more need to do this then!

Hi Folks,

while AlvinPhilemon found out a registry tweak to set custom sounds on the Samsung Ativ S (as explained in this post), it is not quite practical, since you can't see the sound in the list with the others, so you can't choose or switch them without always edit the registry.

I found another way to do this, and I think it's a bit more elegant (see attachment to have a look), although it only can change the sms, e-mail or mailbox sounds.

This is what you need:
    1. Interop Unlock
    2. Registry Editor (use SamWP8 Tools)
    3. Full File System Access (use SamWP8 Tools)
    4. Your Notification sound (I tried mp3-, wav- and wma-format, all worked)

This is how you do it:
    1. On your PC, browse to your Phone\PROGRAMS\CommonFiles\Sounds\ and paste your new sound there.
    2. To make it visible in your sounds selection list inside the Settings-app you have to create a registry entry: Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shell\OEM\Sounds\Notifications\ (This is the Samsung specific location for notifications; I tried the whole thing with the standard Microsoft sound location HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shell\Sounds\Notifications\ but it didn't work). In this registry location you can see a list of the the existing Samsung notification sounds ("Knock.wma", "On time.wma" and "Whistle.wma") and how their name is displayed in the Settings-app ("Knock", "On time" and "Whistle").
    3. Create a new key and set the Value to the name of your soundfile (for example "Silvestro.mp3"), the Type to String and the Data to the name how you want it to be displayed. There might be an error notification after writing, but just read the key to check you wrote it correctly.
    4. Done! Go to the Settings-app and choose the newly created sound as message, mailbox, or e-mail-sound!

What do you think of this solution? Of course it would be nice to pack this feature in an app that first lets you choose a soundfile from the Public or SD-Folder, then copies it, then creates a registry entry and then also is able to delete those things an put everything back to normal, but since I'm just starting with C# there's no way I can do this myself. Anybody interested in trying?
    Thanks for your comments!
    more easy way

I just renamed my ringtone the same as the existing tone in the map \PROGRAMS\CommonFiles\Sounds\.
    Then I renamed the original sound (I have put "old" in front of the original tekst.)
    Now I copied the rington in the map \PROGRAMS\CommonFiles\Sounds\.
    Choose the ringtone on your phone, and it plays your ringtone.
    I converted the mp3 ringtone to wma. I didn't try if it plays mp3.
    The name of the original ringtones doesn't match the name in the phone, but you can play them first on your pc, to see witch one to replace.