Set DNS app

Search This thread

okantomi

Feb 20, 2011
Boston, MA
I have tried this - however, I use OpenDNS at home and saw improvement

Im going out on a limb here and guessing the app will only work if ou have DNS set up on the network in which you are connected to.
Hmmm...seems to really work with several different networks, including my Clear Wimax MiFi. Placebo effect? I don't care, if it works. Especially for those never ending market updates...

Last edited:

StrifeSoldierVII

Mar 3, 2011
Hah that's funny! I actually just went about changing up my DNS servers again for my home network. I actually have my wireless router and all other devices set up with a great DNS server setup. The primary DNS is Google's main public server, which is 8.8.8.8, meanwhile my secondary is the server that is closest to my actual location, which is good. Just in case the main server fails I will still have a close server connection, which means an overall good connection to fall back on.

Best tool to use all around to find out if your primary and secondary DNS servers are really fast and reliable? Google's own tool called namebench. It can be found here: http://code.google.com/p/namebench/

It will recommend to you the fastest server as the main, showing the percentage of how much better it is compared to your current, and it will also show the closest server based on your location for the secondary. Works like a charm every single time. ;)

Actually, I have been using Google's DNS for like 2 years now as my main, but my secondary is what has recently changed. No complaints here at all. It chugs along like it should without so much as a hiccup.

Anyone reading this: Once you find the best DNS servers for yourself, you should go about applying them to all of your internet enabled devices as I have done myself. For example: wireless router, computer, phone, tablet, Wii, PS3, and any other device you can think of! You shan't regret it!

Last edited:
Reactions: okantomi

okantomi

Feb 20, 2011
Boston, MA
Hah that's funny! I actually just went about changing up my DNS servers again for my home network. I actually have my wireless router and all other devices set up with a great DNS server setup. The primary DNS is Google's main public server, which is 8.8.8.8, meanwhile my secondary is the server that is closest to my actual location, which is good. Just in case the main server fails I will still have a close server connection, which means an overall good connection to fall back on.

Best tool to use all around to find out if your primary and secondary DNS servers are really fast and reliable? Google's own tool called namebench. It can be found here: http://code.google.com/p/namebench/

It will recommend to you the fastest server as the main, showing the percentage of how much better it is compared to your current, and it will also show the closest server based on your location for the secondary. Works like a charm every single time. ;)

Actually, I have been using Google's DNS for like 2 years now as my main, but my secondary is what has recently changed. No complaints here at all. It chugs along like it should without so much as a hiccup.

Anyone reading this: Once you find the best DNS servers for yourself, you should go about applying them to all of your internet enabled devices as I have done myself. For example: wireless router, computer, phone, tablet, Wii, PS3, and any other device you can think of! You shan't regret it!
Yes, I chose Google DNS for my main when on the go (using MiFi usually) and will set to whatever works best at home (haven't checked yet but will use that namebench app you recommend). I have seen a real improvement so far.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone