Set multiple backgrounds in the lock screen (Tested in One UI)

Search This thread

danimanz98

Apr 22, 2017
There's a Samsung feature that only works in some devices, and it is the ability to select several pictures to set them as the background of the lock screen, so it changes every time the screen is turned on. The only way to do this officially with A7 (2018) is through Samsung Themes, choosing a "multi-pack" background. There's no other possible way (you cannot select a couple of images from Gallery and set them as background, for example).

But there is a "hidden" app that is called My Interests, which lets you to choose multiple backgrounds for the lock screen. The problem with this is that if you try to launch it through an activity launcher it says that the app needs the storage permission to work, but you can't enable it because the request of that permission has not been declared in the app code. So I've edited it to add that request, and it works properly.

If you want to do it yourself, or just want to know what I have done:

To make this APK, I've edited the original APK with APK Editor Pro, and I've added in the AndroidManifest.xml the following line between the other requests for permissions:
Code:
<uses-permission android:name="android.permission.READ_EXTERNAL_STORAGE" />
Then I've built the app, and the generated APK file has been cloned with APK Cloner, in order to avoid conflicts with the original app.

To install it:
  1. Install the attached APK
  2. Install and open QuickShortcutMaker
  3. In the search box, write updatos, it should appear one result which icon is a picture of a mountain
  4. Open it and select the first element of the list, and then select "Try"
  5. Accept the permission
  6. Now you are able to choose the images you want with the "+" button, and then set them as the background of the lock screen
You can also add a widget to your home screen to add the activity as an icon, so it is quicker to change the backgrounds.

Attachments

• com.samsung.android.keyguardwallpaperupdatos.apk
    1.4 MB · Views: 1,279

Satsumomo

Feb 18, 2014
I'm getting a "Clones are device locked" error when I do the "Try it" option.

I installed app cloner but I can't seem to do anything with it. Any ideas?

Edit: I made a clone of com.samsung.android.keyguardwallpaperupdatos.apk but when I try to set permissions, there is none available for storage. Agh.

Last edited:

danimanz98

Apr 22, 2017

Edit: I made a clone of com.samsung.android.keyguardwallpaperupdatos.apk but when I try to set permissions, there is none available for storage. Agh.

So it looks like if I clone an app it can only be installed in the same device...
When I have time I will upload the edited APK without cloning and change the steps, because you will need to clone it.

Thanks for the feedback

Reactions: Satsumomo

Satsumomo

Feb 18, 2014
So I did your steps, I downloaded the original APK from APKMirror, edited the XML and then cloned it.

I was able to launch the shortcut, and it let me select multiple backgrounds but it only applies one. I think Samsung might have blocked this... I'm currently using a Galaxy A50. Maybe I should try an older version?

danimanz98

Apr 22, 2017
So I did your steps, I downloaded the original APK from APKMirror, edited the XML and then cloned it.

I was able to launch the shortcut, and it let me select multiple backgrounds but it only applies one. I think Samsung might have blocked this... I'm currently using a Galaxy A50. Maybe I should try an older version?

It changes, but it takes some time. In other devices (where this feature is official) it changes every time you see the lockscreen, but with this method the change is not that frequent.

danyv77

Nov 14, 2013
Buenos Aires

could you share the APK file to try? Thank you

Snowpirate07

Jan 26, 2015
Lahore
after doing all the installtion steps do this;
in quickshortcut maker app search ''updator'' instead of ''updatos''
there will be 2 search results open the first one and tap try now it should allow you to do this.
the trick is to open the one with updator mentioned in it. thats the official one preinstalled in the phone.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200518-225101_QuickShortcutMaker.jpg
    Screenshot_20200518-225101_QuickShortcutMaker.jpg
    208.5 KB · Views: 70

danimanz98

Apr 22, 2017
after doing all the installtion steps do this;
in quickshortcut maker app search ''updator'' instead of ''updatos''
there will be 2 search results open the first one and tap try now it should allow you to do this.
the trick is to open the one with updator mentioned in it. thats the official one preinstalled in the phone.

I know. But the thing is that the one that is preinstalled doesn't have the needed permissions registered, so they can't be enabled. That's why the APK file has to be edited, to manually add those permissions.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    There's a Samsung feature that only works in some devices, and it is the ability to select several pictures to set them as the background of the lock screen, so it changes every time the screen is turned on. The only way to do this officially with A7 (2018) is through Samsung Themes, choosing a "multi-pack" background. There's no other possible way (you cannot select a couple of images from Gallery and set them as background, for example).

But there is a "hidden" app that is called My Interests, which lets you to choose multiple backgrounds for the lock screen. The problem with this is that if you try to launch it through an activity launcher it says that the app needs the storage permission to work, but you can't enable it because the request of that permission has not been declared in the app code. So I've edited it to add that request, and it works properly.

If you want to do it yourself, or just want to know what I have done:

To make this APK, I've edited the original APK with APK Editor Pro, and I've added in the AndroidManifest.xml the following line between the other requests for permissions:
    Code:
    <uses-permission android:name="android.permission.READ_EXTERNAL_STORAGE" />
    Then I've built the app, and the generated APK file has been cloned with APK Cloner, in order to avoid conflicts with the original app.

To install it:
    1. Install the attached APK
    2. Install and open QuickShortcutMaker
    3. In the search box, write updatos, it should appear one result which icon is a picture of a mountain
    4. Open it and select the first element of the list, and then select "Try"
    5. Accept the permission
    6. Now you are able to choose the images you want with the "+" button, and then set them as the background of the lock screen
    You can also add a widget to your home screen to add the activity as an icon, so it is quicker to change the backgrounds.

So it looks like if I clone an app it can only be installed in the same device...
    When I have time I will upload the edited APK without cloning and change the steps, because you will need to clone it.

Thanks for the feedback