Question Set SD card as default Whatsapp memory for images, video...

Search This thread

jmcaimi

Aug 5, 2022
I tried hardly to set the external SD card as Whatsapp default memory for images, video on the Redmi Note 10Pro... With no success.
Tried from within the app and from the phone, no way. WhatsApp stuff will slowly eat the memory for no reason. I managed to set it as a default for the camera, but not for WhatsApp.
Anybody has a way or a workaround? Hints are highly appreciated.
Jean-Marc

HiQual

I tried hardly to set the external SD card as Whatsapp default memory for images, video on the Redmi Note 10Pro... With no success.
Tried from within the app and from the phone, no way. WhatsApp stuff will slowly eat the memory for no reason. I managed to set it as a default for the camera, but not for WhatsApp.
Anybody has a way or a workaround? Hints are highly appreciated.
Jean-Marc
Not allowed by WhatsApp when SD used as removable storage - I guess it's something to do with security ?

CaptainChrom

Jan 3, 2018
If you are rooted you can mount the internal Whatsapp folder to your sdcard. That way all data which is supposed to go into that folder on the internal storage is saved on the sdcard instead. But you would need to format it as f2fs, or ext2/3/4 for that to work. If you do that it will only be readable under linux. It wont work on Windows, or inside digital cameras, recorders, etc.

Reactions: Laptapper

x3r0.13urn

Nov 1, 2012
Not allowed by WhatsApp when SD used as removable storage - I guess it's something to do with security ?
WhatsApp has implemented scoped storage https://developer.android.com/training/data-storage#scoped-storage, means you won't be able to store app data outside their own boundaries unless you use the sd card as adoptable storage https://source.android.com/devices/storage/adoptable

It's understandable why most flagship doesn't have any microsd anymore. To put it simply, it wasn't easy just to put apps data into a removable storage anymore, as we perceive removeable storage as, well, removable, while it's not anymore - it's part of your phone, to extend your phone internal storage. Losing it, accidentally breaking it, can cause data lost for some apps. For the sake of convenience, easier to use, and manufacture's benefits, it's more preferred to remove the microsd altogether instead.

xn0live

Dec 22, 2012
i have root
is there no a module or app? there was app called "folder mount" it was working but android 12 not working more

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    If you are rooted you can mount the internal Whatsapp folder to your sdcard. That way all data which is supposed to go into that folder on the internal storage is saved on the sdcard instead. But you would need to format it as f2fs, or ext2/3/4 for that to work. If you do that it will only be readable under linux. It wont work on Windows, or inside digital cameras, recorders, etc.