Setting custom sliding keyboard open/close sounds

Search This thread

TalynOne

Jun 25, 2007
  • It requires some registry editing, so as usual, mess with this at your own peril.

Here are the steps:

1.) Prepare/get two sounds files. One will be used for the sound when your keyboard slides open, and the other closing the keyboard. I'm not sure what sound files formats are acceptable. The ones that I used, which work fine, are 22khz 8bit mono PCM .wav files.

2.) Name the closing sound #_in.wav and the opening sound #_out.wav (where # is any number greater then 2 because 0 1 and 2 are taken up by the default sounds). I am assuming you can add as many as you want, and just keep them in the numerical sequence. You might be able to name the sounds files anything you want also, as long as they have a corresponding entry in the registry, but again I haven't tested that assumption.

3.) Copy the sound files to the \Windows folder on the Mogul (not in a sub folder below Windows!).

4.) Using a registry editor navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\HTC\SlidingSound.

5.) Create a new key with value of the next available number (eg. 3)
    ----A.) In this new key, set the (Default) string value to a friendly name for your sound (eg. Star Trek Communicator)
    ----B.) Create a new String named in with a value set to name of your sliding in sound file (eg. 3_in.wav).
    ----C.) Create a new String named out with a value set to name of your sliding out sound file (eg. 3_out.wav).

6.) Close the registry editor, and go to Start->Settings->Personal tab, and tap on the "SlidingSound" icon to pick and test your new sliding sound set.

Here's a link to several slider sounds I put together:
    Rapidshare Link to Mogul Sliding Keyboard Sounds

Included are a long and short transformers sound set, and a light saber sound set. The light saber set is courtesy of PDAPhoneHome forums member Wizzums. The long Transformers sound set I made by downloading it off a website, and reversing it in a audio editor for the closing sound. I thought the sound was too long, so I made shortened/sped up version. I also included .reg files you can import, for those too lazy/scared to create the registry entries themselves.

Sources:
    PDAPhoneHome.com Forums
    PPCGeeks.com Forums

XmentalX

Nov 23, 2006
Bay Area
www.google.com
if you look at the ppc geeks thread you can see where i also posted a shotgun sound set too :)

im glad you enjoy that hack i got bored one day and was browsing the registry and saw that set, fiddled a bit (just used logic mostly) and it worked

klyons538

Aug 13, 2007
new!

im new to this forum thing. but i have the sprint 6800 & im trying to do this sliding sound thing. but how do i do the registry thing? where do i go for that? is it in the phone or something i have to download? please help!

zcink

Jun 29, 2007
Middle Earth
There is a really easy way to do this on the HTC Wing

1. Set your Sliding Keyboard to Wind chimes sound. 2. ActiveSync. 3. Copy and Paste these two files into the Windows directory. It will ask you if you want to replace/overwrite the ones that are already there. Now when you open and close the Keyboard you will hear The Star Trek Original series Sliding door sound. No registry editing needed. Its really cool.

If you want to save the Wind Chimes for later use just copy and paste the files with these two names out of your Windows directory to a file on your PC.

Enjoy!

zcink

Jun 29, 2007
Middle Earth
One Additional Thought

You can also go into the Registry afterward and change the name from Wind Chimes to Star Trek Door or whatever you want and it will show in the menu on your Keyboard Sliding App.

Also you can change the other two default sounds and rename them.

zcink

Jun 29, 2007
Middle Earth
replace all 3 sounds

Here is a zip file to replace all 3 default sounds on your wing just copy and paste these into the window directory on your phone and replace the default sounds.

You can rename all three

HKLM\Software\HTC\SlidingSound......

0 = change to Star Trek Door
1 = change to Whistle
2 = change to Transformers

Enjoy!!!!

5.0stang

Jul 6, 2007
I did this a while ago when it was 1st posted over on ppcgeeks. My problem though is I can only add one set of sounds when i try to add a 5th sliding sound it wont come up on the sliding sounds menu just the stock 3 plus my star trek doors ive done. can there be more the 4 choices or am i gonna have to copy over one. Ive done the same reg edits that i did to make the doors work

defaultdotxbe

Jul 17, 2007
Chicago
I did this a while ago when it was 1st posted over on ppcgeeks. My problem though is I can only add one set of sounds when i try to add a 5th sliding sound it wont come up on the sliding sounds menu just the stock 3 plus my star trek doors ive done. can there be more the 4 choices or am i gonna have to copy over one. Ive done the same reg edits that i did to make the doors work
i have 6 on mine, stock 3 plus 3 custom

make sure you are adding a new (and unique) reg key for each set of sounds you want

DoulaVal

Sep 16, 2007
Has anyone figured this out for WM6? I had changed my sliding sounds before I upgraded the ROM, and now when I try to put it all back, the registry isn't the same. Help?

ChumleyEX

Oct 12, 2007
Temple
If your placing the sounds into the windows folder doesn't it get over written every boot? I've tried to make this work with my tilt using the sounds from this side. I can preview them but I can't get the noise to happen when I slide it. There is no noise at all infact unless I pic the old ones.

Last edited:

(V)eGa

Nov 1, 2006
I also have custom sounds at my website. I can also make your sounds into a cab installer that will install and un-install the sounds. I have made a few so far. Check it out.

MeGa

PS - Info is in my sig

DancherBoi

Oct 19, 2007
Peoria, AZ
This same process works for the HTC TYTN II/AT&T Tilt.

This is what I put on mine. It's the shotgun reload sound from Half-Life. There is a short and long version. Short for the open, and long for the close.

Delgreco13

Oct 31, 2007
cool excellent work guys.... i was actually just thinking of doing that the other day... I have a good 1 to add to the list. Whos a FINAL FANTASY FAN HERE LOL.... Victory sound that would be GREAT to add !! =)

envy174

Dec 2, 2007
1. Set your Sliding Keyboard to Wind chimes sound. 2. ActiveSync. 3. Copy and Paste these two files into the Windows directory. It will ask you if you want to replace/overwrite the ones that are already there. Now when you open and close the Keyboard you will hear The Star Trek Original series Sliding door sound. No registry editing needed. Its really cool.

If you want to save the Wind Chimes for later use just copy and paste the files with these two names out of your Windows directory to a file on your PC.

Enjoy!

hey wats good i fallowed ur step by step instruction the the wing but i get an error saying cannot copy slider0_in be certain that thurs enough memory(witch i have)that the destination is not write protected and that the file is not currently in use please tell me wat needs 2 b done

timothydonohue

Oct 2, 2007
Portland, Maine
this is the one i use...
door opens for out
door closes for in

i made star trek files as well, but the bridge door wav that has saturated the intertubes doesn't reverse well (sounds the same), likewise with the light saber.
i thought about getting the simpsons sounds where ralph is playing with the flag on a mailbox...up = laugh (or out, for us), in = cry (in, for us) but everytime i start going through wav sites, i end up spending too much time downloading things for ringtones and alerts, lol. i have a jetsons messaging notification, and oodles of ringtones and alert sounds now...

Attachments

• door.zip
    103.6 KB · Views: 286