Setting default install path in android

Search This thread

edwin270

May 2, 2010
Tema
www.edsysinc.webs.com
This post is to help you set your phones default install path to your phones sd card on any android device.

so here we go..............>>

1. First you have to enable USB debugging on your Android device from Settings > Applications > Development > USB debugging.

Now you need to download and install the Android SDK on your computer from google....please google it.
Once setup is downloaded and installed you click on Available Packages to the left.

should you get any error message at this point, enable “Force (url) in the Settings then from the list of available packages, select “Usb Driver package”, click on the Install Selected button in the bottom right corner and follow the prompts.

2. Connect your phone to your computer with a USB-cable. Your OS will prompt you to install new drivers.
Choose to install them from
C:\Program Files\Android\android-sdk\extras\google\usb_driver folder
when you are asked to install drivers

(If for some reason you are not asked to install drivers as it happens sometimes in windows 7. Go to device manager and look for your phone under the usb device list..............right click and choose update drivers....navigate to C:\Program Files\Android\android-sdk\extras\google\usb_driver folder" to update) If you do not know how to update then google it.

NOTE: You need not mount your device; you only need to plug-in the cable.

3. Next, run a command prompt and navigate to the Android-SDK/platform-tools folder. In Windows, this is done by selecting Run from the Start Menu (or by pressing Win+R) and typing cmd. You change drives in the command prompt by entering the drive letter followed by a colon :)), and change folders with the CD command. For example, to enter the Android-SDK folder, simply type C: cd android-sdk.

4. Whiles in the Android-SDK/platform-tools folder, type in

adb devices

you should get a serial number starting with “H” in return. All you have to do next is enter

adb shell pm setInstallLocation 2

You’re done! Android will now install apps to the SD card by default.

To switch back to storing software on the internal memory,
enter

adb shell pm setInstallLocation 0

With everything done correctly you should not have that "annoying memory getting full" message anymore.:p

Last edited:

AndDiSa

• Dec 2, 2009
    Heidelberg
    If you have a terminal application installed on your phone you can use also that for entering the commands and you should notice, too, that it works only with 2.x roms.

Sent from my Gingerbread on Dream using XDA App

Vaesir

Jul 26, 2015
    Hi,
    I've done this and it worked. however I changed my sd card from 2Gb to 4Gb and now it will not work anymore.
    I've redone the steps above and, got confirmation that [external] memory is being used, however when I want to install a new app I get the same error message "not enough space"
    Android GT-S5830i
    ver 2.3.6

Any suggestions
    Thanks

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
      This post is to help you set your phones default install path to your phones sd card on any android device.

so here we go..............>>

1. First you have to enable USB debugging on your Android device from Settings > Applications > Development > USB debugging.

Now you need to download and install the Android SDK on your computer from google....please google it.
      Once setup is downloaded and installed you click on Available Packages to the left.

should you get any error message at this point, enable “Force (url) in the Settings then from the list of available packages, select “Usb Driver package”, click on the Install Selected button in the bottom right corner and follow the prompts.

2. Connect your phone to your computer with a USB-cable. Your OS will prompt you to install new drivers.
      Choose to install them from
      C:\Program Files\Android\android-sdk\extras\google\usb_driver folder
      when you are asked to install drivers

(If for some reason you are not asked to install drivers as it happens sometimes in windows 7. Go to device manager and look for your phone under the usb device list..............right click and choose update drivers....navigate to C:\Program Files\Android\android-sdk\extras\google\usb_driver folder" to update) If you do not know how to update then google it.

NOTE: You need not mount your device; you only need to plug-in the cable.

3. Next, run a command prompt and navigate to the Android-SDK/platform-tools folder. In Windows, this is done by selecting Run from the Start Menu (or by pressing Win+R) and typing cmd. You change drives in the command prompt by entering the drive letter followed by a colon :)), and change folders with the CD command. For example, to enter the Android-SDK folder, simply type C: cd android-sdk.

4. Whiles in the Android-SDK/platform-tools folder, type in

adb devices

you should get a serial number starting with “H” in return. All you have to do next is enter

adb shell pm setInstallLocation 2

You’re done! Android will now install apps to the SD card by default.

To switch back to storing software on the internal memory,
      enter

adb shell pm setInstallLocation 0

With everything done correctly you should not have that "annoying memory getting full" message anymore.:p
      On some updated SDK version its "set-install-location"
    Our Apps
    Get our official app!
    The best way to access XDA on your phone
    Nav Gestures
    Add swipe gestures to any Android
    One Handed Mode
    Eases uses one hand with your phone