Setting Unique ringers for Known, Unknow, and calls while Roaming

Search This thread

-Mr. X-

Apr 13, 2007
Ontario
One feature i am missing from my move from treo's to the HTC Diamond is the ability to select different ringers styles/sounds for Known, Unknow and Roaming callers.

i know its in the registry and i have made some good advancements but im stuck. here is where i stand

Note: i dont mention the roaming caller ring profile here but its the same concept as the "know caller" profile i just didnt want to retype the whole blurb.

Ive added the key:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\ControlPanel\Notifications\Known Caller]
@="Phone: Known Caller"
"Options"=dword:80000000
"Wave"="\Windows\Ring-WindowsMobile.wma"
"DisplayOrder"=dword:00000002
"Duration"=dword:00000001

This shows in the Sounds and Notifications settings as Known Caller

Ive changed

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\ControlPanel\Notifications\Phone]
"DisplayOrder"=dword:00000002 <------ default was "1"
@="Phone: Unknown Caller" <----- Default was "Incomming Call"
"Options"=dword:80000000
"Wave"="\\Windows\\Ring-Innovation.wma"
"Duration"=dword:00000001

these both show in the Sounds and Notifications.

then i navigated too:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\ControlPanel\Sounds\KnownCallerR ing0]

this key allows you to set a ringer for Known Callers that do not have a custom ringer set already in yoru contacts. it was empty so p populated it like this

"Sound"="\Windows\Ring-WindowsMobile.wma"
"Category"="Ring"
"Script"="apw3r"

The "Unknown Caller" ringer ringer settings are located here:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\ControlPanel\RingTone0]
"Sound"="\Windows\Ring-Birds2.wma"
"Category"="Ring"
"Script"="apw3r"

So the problem is. under "Sounds and Notifications" if i change the ringer in one they both change ( both known and unknown callers are still pointing to RingTone0)

now i know that KnownCallersRing0 sets the ring for people in your contacts because i have tested it and it does work. the issue is that i cannot get the Notification "Key" to map back to
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\ControlPanel\Sounds\KnownCallerR ing0] rather then
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\ControlPanel\Sounds\RingTone0].

(in simple terms, Known caller and unknown caller map back to the same ringer style and sounds and they shouldn't be. i cannot get the "know Caller" setting to go to KnownCallerRinger0 Via "sounds and Notifications" even though this working you have to change your ringer via reg edit and i want to be able to do it in "sounds and Notifications" GUI)

Any one have some insight?

"Sound"="\Windows\Ring-WindowsMobile.wma"
"Category"="Ring"
"Script"="apw3r"

Above sets ringer for Known callers in your contact list that DO NOT already have a custom ringer

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\ControlPanel\Sounds\RoamingRing0]
"Sound"="\Windows\Ring-Birds2.wma"
"Category"="Ring"
"Script"="apw3r"

Above sets ringer for calls receiver while roaming

Note: set up both keys the way you see it. change "Sound" to a different ringer file to change ring tone.

i wish i could get this to work with the "sounds and notifications" GUI

you may need to create the whole key or just some of the entries.

KnownCallerRing0 has a space in it when posting. it should not in the registry. i dont know why the forum does this.

Last edited:

-Mr. X-

Apr 13, 2007
Ontario
awesome post, perhaps someone can make an application so we can set the ringtones for each via a GUI ? :D
we dont need a new app :) if we can figure out how the "phone" notification maps to ringtone0 then we can do the same for "known callers" and "roaming caller" the treo didnt need a third party app to do this :)

it must be something simple im missing :(

Last edited:

-Mr. X-

Apr 13, 2007
Ontario
I spent all last night searching every registry entry to see how the Phone notification calls up the RingTone0 sound entry with no luck. some one smarter then me needs to hop in and hely a brother out :)

Addicteddddd

Aug 23, 2008
we dont need a new app :) if we can figure out how the "phone" notification maps to ringtone0 then we can do the same for "known callers" and "roaming caller" the treo didnt need a third party app to do this

it must be something simple im missing

nono, i just meant a GUI to easily change ringtone for each :) i don't want to have to go into the registry and manually change the keys every single time i change ringtone :p