Setting up Evo for fastboot

Search This thread

cordell12

Inactive Recognized Developer
Sep 22, 2010
Dayton, TX
I am wanting to get Fastboot commands working on my Evo, Currently when I try a command they do not work. I read that I need a different H-Boot for fastboot to run correctly on my phone. So searching I found the correct H-Boot, but it seems my partitions are wrong for the H-Boot. Here is what my set up is...

CM7
Hardware 0003
H-Boot 2.10.0001 S-OFF via Unrevoked
Baseband 2.15.000.11.19
PRI 1.90_003
Software 3.70.651.1
When I run "cat /proc/mtd" in shell I am 00040000 for erasesize

Is there a work around I can do? I found a way to fool H-Boot into thinking its .76 BUT it says NOT to use the method if I have new partitions, erasesize 00040000, which I have :(

Could I RUU to a earlier software, then apply the .76 H-Boot, or will my 0003 hardware cause conflicts? So much dev for the Evo, but so many restrictions on what you can and cant do, depending on hardware, h-boot, baseband, its crazy! lol If it is possible please give as much info as you can. I dont want to get even more confused on what I can and cant do to get fastboot up and running :)

Thanks

teh roxxorz

Recognized Contributor
Nov 21, 2010
If you've fooled HBOOT, kudos to you. But the latest HBOOT isn't downgradable, and if you RUU on your current software, it'd take you back to stock blah blah, but I think on the current HBOOT. I don't have all the answers, but I think you may be stuck on this one...

cordell12

Sep 22, 2010
Dayton, TX
If you've fooled HBOOT, kudos to you. But the latest HBOOT isn't downgradable, and if you RUU on your current software, it'd take you back to stock blah blah, but I think on the current HBOOT. I don't have all the answers, but I think you may be stuck on this one...

No, I havent fooled it. I found a thread on how to, but not with my partitions sizes, I have the 40k partitions. So that being said I can not as of yet downgrade my H-Boot to ENG .76 :( I thought to myself, I am still S-OFF so I should be able to flash simple splash screen, nope!

c:\android-sdk\tools>fastboot flash splash1 evosplash1.rgb565
sending 'splash1' (750 KB)...
OKAY [ 0.350s]
writing 'splash1'...
FAILED (remote: not allowed)
finished. total time: 0.354s

Seems I cant do that because of the way I rooted, Unrevoked. I had the HTC Hero a while back and that phone was so easy to mess with. Then I played with a Intercept, trash! I got a LG Optimus S, another phone that is a PIA! Now I got my dream phone, been wanting a Evo since it cam out, 2 months after I got my Hero, grrrrrrrr :mad: Anyway, now that I have a Evo I cant do as I was able to do with my Hero. I thought because it was HTC it would be the same. The other 2 phones not being HTC was the problem, lol. I guess these phone companies are doing more and more to try and lock the end user out of rooting the device. Sucks for us who want to be flashing this or that, in any method we choose.

Now that I am done ranting, lol It looks like most of the stuff i want to do can be done via PC36IMG.zip's. Flashing recoveries, flashing splash screens, radios, all that junk. Is there a good thread explaining how to create these zip's and what they can and cant be used for?

lovethyEVO

Sep 1, 2010
Schofield Barracks

My replacement evo came with 3.70, hw003, hboot 2.10, 2000 erasesize and I still downgraded my hboot to .76. It's the newer block sizes and hw004 that have problems downgrading.

EndlessDissent

Oct 18, 2010
Chicago
No, I havent fooled it. I found a thread on how to, but not with my partitions sizes, I have the 40k partitions. So that being said I can not as of yet downgrade my H-Boot to ENG .76 :( I thought to myself, I am still S-OFF so I should be able to flash simple splash screen, nope!

c:\android-sdk\tools>fastboot flash splash1 evosplash1.rgb565
sending 'splash1' (750 KB)...
OKAY [ 0.350s]
writing 'splash1'...
FAILED (remote: not allowed)
finished. total time: 0.354s

Seems I cant do that because of the way I rooted, Unrevoked. I had the HTC Hero a while back and that phone was so easy to mess with. Then I played with a Intercept, trash! I got a LG Optimus S, another phone that is a PIA! Now I got my dream phone, been wanting a Evo since it cam out, 2 months after I got my Hero, grrrrrrrr :mad: Anyway, now that I have a Evo I cant do as I was able to do with my Hero. I thought because it was HTC it would be the same. The other 2 phones not being HTC was the problem, lol. I guess these phone companies are doing more and more to try and lock the end user out of rooting the device. Sucks for us who want to be flashing this or that, in any method we choose.

Now that I am done ranting, lol It looks like most of the stuff i want to do can be done via PC36IMG.zip's. Flashing recoveries, flashing splash screens, radios, all that junk. Is there a good thread explaining how to create these zip's and what they can and cant be used for?

There's a thread on Android Central HERE that explains how to make a flashable PC36IMG.zip splash screen. i assume the process for any other PC36IMG.zip is similar.

cordell12

Sep 22, 2010
Dayton, TX
My replacement evo came with 3.70, hw003, hboot 2.10, 2000 erasesize and I still downgraded my hboot to .76. It's the newer block sizes and hw004 that have problems downgrading.

I have hardware 0003 but its is equipped with new partitions 40k size. Are you saying I can downgrade Hboot?

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

cordell12

Sep 22, 2010
Dayton, TX
You could try and theoretically it "could" work but I can't say for sure because there haven't been much reports of the 40k sized 003hw's having success with it.

I see, so theoretically it could also brick me. I am within my 30 days, and have a dead pixel. Thing is they know I root my phones, they were checking out my wifes LG Optimus S with 2.3 and were really interested on how to root. One of the reps wants to root his Evo but is scared due to all the versions and what not. Cant say I blame him, but you think working for sprint they can easily get a replacement phone, no?

Has anyone had success with hardware 0003 and NEW partitions (40,000 block size), or have anyone bricked while trying?

Thanks for input :)

rugedraw

Jun 25, 2010
Miami, FL
I see, so theoretically it could also brick me. I am within my 30 days, and have a dead pixel. Thing is they know I root my phones, they were checking out my wifes LG Optimus S with 2.3 and were really interested on how to root. One of the reps wants to root his Evo but is scared due to all the versions and what not. Cant say I blame him, but you think working for sprint they can easily get a replacement phone, no?

Has anyone had success with hardware 0003 and NEW partitions (40,000 block size), or have anyone bricked while trying?

Thanks for input :)

My girl got her Evo in December. It's an 003 model but I'm not sure about the partition size as that is news to me. I rooted with whatever version of Unrevoked was out at the time, and simply grabbed the .76 hboot from Toast's part 2 thread and flashed it. It worked without any issue.....in this case. After I did that, I read that a lot of people were having trouble downgrading to the engineering SPL and were bricking, and I breathed a heavy sigh of relief that it didn't happen to me and my girl's 4 hour old Evo. lol

Come to think about it, I don't even know why I did it to her phone. I always experiment with my own phone before flashing anything new on hers, so in retrospect, downgrading to that hboot in her phone just for fastboot commands was a risk not worth taking.