Settings/tips to brighten the display on the LG G Pad 8.3

Search This thread

MRCANNADY

Mar 13, 2009
Hello fellow G pad owners!

As much as I absolutely love my LG G Pad (black model). I think that LG really dropped the ball on the display brightness levels on the screen. For gaming, internet browsing, everything looks fine, but try and watch a movie with the display below 60% and it's really hard to see anything during the darker scenes in a movie. Well, I wanted to start this thread for people to share their settings/tips to help others who want a better better display on their devices. For me, I have been using an app called Screen Adjuster, which does not require root. While it does not brighten the screen as much as I would like, it does "lighten" up the contrast a bit for me which helps during those dark scenes when viewing movies. My settings using the app are:

App brightness: 100%
Contrast: -71%
System brightness at 65%

With this setting, my display looks much "brighter" and my battery life is still great. I can get through an entire day of gaming, web surfing and video streaming without having to charge my device.

Please post your comments, questions and all suggestions on your display settings recommendations here to help others.

Thanks

roustabout

Feb 12, 2011
Yep, this is why I'm going to be looking hard at the HP slate 8 when it comes out. I really wish the dog hadn't knocked the note 8 out of my lap - I could continue using it happily for many months more, aside from the damaged screen.

The gpad is too dim for me to use, even with making screen adjustments as best I could, since I use my devices outdoors as well as indoors.

MRCANNADY

Mar 13, 2009
Yep, this is why I'm going to be looking hard at the HP slate 8 when it comes out. I really wish the dog hadn't knocked the note 8 out of my lap - I could continue using it happily for many months more, aside from the damaged screen.

The gpad is too dim for me to use, even with making screen adjustments as best I could, since I use my devices outdoors as well as indoors.

I saw you mention this over at Androidcentral.com. Bad dog, bad dog!! lol
I don't know man, my screen is fine now regardless of whether I'm using it indoors or outdoors now. Even without my settings listed, I never had a problem playing games or surfing the internet, it was only when watching dark-scene movies where it became an issue.

If you really look at it, this tablet has much more pros than cons about it. I don't remember the last Android tablet that I owned that had such an amazing resolution, solid build quality, great battery life and works great out of the box with no reboots/glitches to speak of! I mean, really, I had to double check to make sure that I was using an android tablet and not an Ipad! lol

This tablet works really smoothly, without a hitch. And being able to hold it with one hand while reading on that beautiful, high res screen is awesome!

TonyBigs

Apr 14, 2011
The gamma is a bit on the low side -- around 2.0.

On many (most?) tablets the "brightness" is really the backlight control rather than a true brightness control (adjusting black level). The two controls should be independent for optimum results.

f1ux

Jan 2, 2011
At the moment, using that appi have it set to:

Blue +6
Contrast -55
System brightness:35-45% night-day

f1ux

Jan 2, 2011
I just tried your settings, but it makes the screen pretty dark

For me with your settings it is far too washed out and lacking detail make it harder to read.

I set mine by using my retina ipad as a comparison. Adding the blue makes the white more natural and the colours match more. E.g. the Facebook app blue now matches.

mustbepbs

Nov 19, 2011
For me with your settings it is far too washed out and lacking detail make it harder to read.

I set mine by using my retina ipad as a comparison. Adding the blue makes the white more natural and the colours match more. E.g. the Facebook app blue now matches.

Mind posting your numbers?

MRCANNADY

Mar 13, 2009
I already did 4 posts up

You are right about my settings making things appear a little more washed out. I need to find the perfect balance for casual reading and movie watching on this thing. I do prefer a brighter screen than a duller looking one though, so I have to keep tinkering around with the settings.

Jun 10, 2010
Just so you know, the video player app has its own independent brightness setting. when you hit the menu button you should see an option for brightness.

Sent from my LG-D800 using XDA Premium HD app

brian566

Jan 29, 2014
West Yorks
Screen Brightness

As much as I absolutely love my LG G Pad (black model). I think that LG really dropped the ball on the display brightness levels on the screen. For gaming, internet browsing, everything looks fine, but try and watch a movie with the display below 60% and it's really hard to see anything during the darker scenes in a movie. Well, I wanted to start this thread for people to share their settings/tips to help others who want a better better display on their devices. For me, I have been using an app called Screen Adjuster, which does not require root. While it does not brighten the screen as much as I would like, it does "lighten" up the contrast a bit for me which helps during those dark scenes when viewing movies. My settings using the app are:

System brightness at 65%

With this setting, my display looks much "brighter" and my battery life is still great. I can get through an entire day of gaming, web surfing and video streaming without having to charge my device.

Please post your comments, questions and all suggestions on your display settings recommendations here to help others.

Thanks

Glad I have just seen your post I have just bought mine still on the time to take back have been impressed with everything great tablet it just the movie watching that's spoiling it as you say to dark to watch :cool:
Will try this App Before I send back

Reactions: MRCANNADY and pike5

pike5

Dec 31, 2011
Filter Your Screen App

I posted this in the Help and Troubleshooting forum on Saturday. Perhaps it needs to be here, too.

The "Filter Your Screen - Free" app has dramatically improved video playback using the LG Video viewer, BS Player, and MX Player. The settings that work for me are: Alpha 30; Red 200; Green 200 and Blue 220. I'm sure there are many variations, but I tried to keep it simple.

When not viewing a video, I turn the Filter off and it seems to help extend battery life.

One question: Does anyone have any experience with this app? If so, does it damage a display over time?

Thanks.

Reactions: LeighR

philled

Jun 19, 2011
I'm thinking of getting one of these to go with my G2 which I love. However I will definitely be using it outside a lot and I've read mixed reviews on that. Some say it's unusable outside, while others say it's fine. Could some people here who own one please share their views on outdoor usage?

ASW1

Dec 2, 2013
Staatsliedenbuurt
I'm thinking of getting one of these to go with my G2 which I love. However I will definitely be using it outside a lot and I've read mixed reviews on that. Some say it's unusable outside, while others say it's fine. Could some people here who own one please share their views on outdoor usage?
I wouldn't get one for outdoor use.
Indoors is no issue.

brian566

Jan 29, 2014
West Yorks
Brightness

As we are all aware bright sunlight kills mobile phone screens and tablets have just the same issue .
But due to the LG 8.3 brightness issues as this review

At 273 lux, the G Pad's screen is far dimmer than the tablet category average of 359 lux and well off the iPad mini's mark of 432 lux. The Galaxy Tab 3 8-inch offered a higher rating of 477 lux, while the Kindle Fire HDX topped out at 480 lux.

Then I think the LG 8.3 is not for you sorry as its great little tablet

cappa662

Dec 27, 2013
As we are all aware bright sunlight kills mobile phone screens and tablets have just the same issue .
But due to the LG 8.3 brightness issues as this review

At 273 lux, the G Pad's screen is far dimmer than the tablet category average of 359 lux and well off the iPad mini's mark of 432 lux. The Galaxy Tab 3 8-inch offered a higher rating of 477 lux, while the Kindle Fire HDX topped out at 480 lux.

Then I think the LG 8.3 is not for you sorry as its great little tablet

Yea my only complaint is the screen is too dark for watching movies.

cappa662

Dec 27, 2013

System brightness at 65%

Thanks
:good: great tip

Reactions: MRCANNADY

Pman

Oct 28, 2013
UK
Xiaomi Redmi Note 4
Xiaomi Mi Mix 3
Im using the Screen Adjuster app but for some reason it changes colours/contrast for everything besides the navigation bar (looks more noticeable when contrast is changed).

Im using Madhi Rom, so not sure if it's the rom or the app. Anyone else have this problem?

RaiderWill

Jul 11, 2011
NEW ROMULUS

As much as I absolutely love my LG G Pad (black model). I think that LG really dropped the ball on the display brightness levels on the screen. My settings using the app are:

System brightness at 65%

With this setting, my display looks much "brighter"

Please post your comments, and all suggestions

my screen is fine now regardless of whether I'm using it indoors or outdoors now.
I don't remember the last Android tablet that I owned that had such an amazing resolution, I mean, really, I had to double check to make sure that I was using an android tablet and not an Ipad! the high res screen is awesome!
Not so long ago.. I used to feel just like you about the LG G-Pad 8.3.. :cool:
I know it's been a few months since you commented... even so, This photo SHOCKED ME into Crystal Clear Reality...

DAMN_zps387255f7.jpg

I knew our G-Pad's screen was not the best when it came to brightness.. but this picture Forces one to Face the Truth...
And Yes.. the G-Pad's brightness is set to 100%..
Ouch..
For Me, it's time to Re-Think the equation. :cool:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I have cleaned the thread guys.. This is not about Samsung, Asus, or any other tablet. This thread is about improving the tab you own.. if you don't own it, move on please...

System brightness at 65%

Thanks
    Just so you know, the video player app has its own independent brightness setting. when you hit the menu button you should see an option for brightness.

Sent from my LG-D800 using XDA Premium HD app
    Screen Brightness

System brightness at 65%

Thanks

Glad I have just seen your post I have just bought mine still on the time to take back have been impressed with everything great tablet it just the movie watching that's spoiling it as you say to dark to watch :cool:
    Will try this App Before I send back
    I'm using this http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2741405 and it really brought new life to my gpad. Gamma almost perfect and a nice speed boost :good:

yah, and combined with this http:// http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2621904ROM the Pad is flying... :)