[SGH-T999] CF-Auto-Root

Search This thread

Aerowinder

Aug 11, 2012
Not sure what the issue is here, but, I've tried rooting a friends T-Mobile SGS3 on 4.1.2 using this method and I get a FAIL in Odin when pushing the PDA file to the phone.

Drivers are installed, Odin is running and seeing the phone and the phone is in download mode.

Remove battery cover and battery to get the model number. There are several T-Mobile SGS3s. Some models may not be supported.

Kortekn

Nov 12, 2011
Chicago
I think it was the cable, it wasn't a standard Samsung cable and I've had issues with random cables before. If a new cable doesn't work, I'll provide the model.

Sent from my SM-N900P using xda app-developers app

Kortekn

Nov 12, 2011
Chicago
I think it was the cable, it wasn't a standard Samsung cable and I've had issues with random cables before. If a new cable doesn't work, I'll provide the model.

Sent from my SM-N900P using xda app-developers app

It wasn't the cable. Used a standard Samsung USB cable and the file still failed during push.

T-Mobile Model #: SGH-T999
Android: 4.1.2
Build: JZO54K.T999UVDMD5
Kernel: 3.0.31 - 1128078
se.infra@SEP-128 #2
SMP PREEMPT Mon Apr 15 11:59:10 KST

Adryanxxx

Jun 8, 2010
OnePlus One
Samsung Galaxy J6
CF-Auto-Root is not working on my SGH-T999 with the latest firmware T999UVUEMJC, it said SuperSu is blocked after restart. Is a problem with this firmware or I'm just stupid ??? :crying:

Last edited:

rangergm

Aug 11, 2010
Southern California
twitter.com
CF-Auto-Root is not working on my SGH-T999 with the latest firmware T999UVUEMJC, it said SuperSu is blocked after restart. Is a problem with this firmware or I'm just stupid ??? :crying:

I read this article about firmware T999UVUEMJC having a new bootloader: HERE - Wonder if this will not allow root access to stick after a reboot? My S3 is rooted with CWM recovery with stock 4.1.2 firmware and I was planning to unroot back to stock recovery and then OTA update to 4.3 OS and use CF-Root, but sounds like it might not work for now?

Maybe need to wait for devs with rooted version which removes KNOX?

Reactions: Adryanxxx

Adryanxxx

Jun 8, 2010
OnePlus One
Samsung Galaxy J6
I read this article about firmware T999UVUEMJC having a new bootloader: HERE - Wonder if this will not allow root access to stick after a reboot? My S3 is rooted with CWM recovery with stock 4.1.2 firmware and I was planning to unroot back to stock recovery and then OTA update to 4.3 OS and use CF-Root, but sounds like it might not work for now?

Thank you so much !!! I'll try !!!

bpleat

Feb 4, 2010
(snipped) Wonder if this will not allow root access to stick after a reboot? My S3 is rooted with CWM recovery with stock 4.1.2 firmware and I was planning to unroot back to stock recovery and then OTA update to 4.3 OS and use CF-Root, but sounds like it might not work for now?

Seems like Knox blocks (waiting for the Rap version of this...), it overwrites the replacement (TWRP/CWM) and restores properties on SU, etc.

ortind200

Oct 19, 2013
i got a T999 thats unrooted.. whats the best way to root it? so far, i installed the OTA 4.3 update but i didnt install Knox. i got 2 questions:

1) should i use CF-Auto Root or root66?

2) will i be able to use SuperSU?

penser

Jan 17, 2013
I'm sure this has been asked, but do you need an unlocked bootloader to do this?

Sent from my MB886 using Tapatalk

nyijedi

Jul 5, 2008
Long Island, NY
Is it true that the bootloader is unlocked on this model? Can I use the instructions in this forum for this phone running 4.1.2 without worrying about the bootloader?

masondoctorjt

Apr 18, 2010
LG V60 ThinQ
Is it true that the bootloader is unlocked on this model? Can I use the instructions in this forum for this phone running 4.1.2 without worrying about the bootloader?

I believe once you update to the official 4.3 firmware, that your bootloader will then be locked, but before that it is unlocked.

Sent from my SGH-T999L using xda app-developers app

DocHoliday77

May 10, 2011
HuntsVegas!!!
Bootloader isn't locked exactly. You can still flash recoveries, kernels, etc. The main issue is that you can't downgrade your firmware. For example, if you are on build UVUEMJC, you can only flash the same or newer firmware. You can still flash roms based on older builds though. Custom kernels and recoveries will trip the warranty bit on 4.3.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Reactions: masondoctorjt

el_smurfo

Oct 21, 2009
No longer works for current versions of GS3?

It seems from comments back in 2013 that a GS3 running the latest OTA will fail when trying to root via this method? The good/bad ratio on CF web site is about 50/50 which aren't good odds when trying to root the Wife's device. It's also not clear from the CF site or here whether I need to do something special to unlock the bootloader, and whether this will also wipe the device...

Last edited:

DocHoliday77

May 10, 2011
HuntsVegas!!!
It seems from comments back in 2013 that a GS3 running the latest OTA will fail when trying to root via this method? The good/bad ratio on CF web site is about 50/50 which aren't good odds when trying to root the Wife's device. It's also not clear from the CF site or here whether I need to do something special to unlock the bootloader, and whether this will also wipe the device...

Read my post above yours about the bootloader. Ours is not locked. It should not wipe anything, and at least in these forums here, its very rare that I hear anything about this method not working.
If you are not comfortable with it though, I suggest you read our sticky threads. There are several ways to gain root, so just pick the one you are most comfortable with.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

Reactions: el_smurfo

bpleat

Feb 4, 2010
T999UVUENC2 not supported yet?

My SGH-T999 has been updated to T999UVUENC2.
With this, every time I go through the proper process to root...
When it boots, SuperSU is not installed.
I manually install it and can obtain root and block Knox.
However...
Upon second reboot, network access will stop working
Upon third reboot, I'll see "Unfortunately, System Manager Application has stopped" repeatedly.

If I unroot, then the error message stops but networking is not restored (though it looks like it is).

I, unfortunately, can recreate this at will.

Has anyone else seen this?

Is this something ChainFire is going to fix?

How can I tell if CF-Auto-Root-d2tmo-d2tmo-sght999.zip has been updated to fix this?

Thank you.

DocHoliday77

May 10, 2011
HuntsVegas!!!
System manager is carrierIQ. You can remove it. Dont know why its doing that though. Or try another root method.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Check your device model ! Settings -> About device -> Model number. See the third post for exact supported model numbers. If your device is a totally different model, it will not work (may even brick) !

CF-Root is the root for "rooting beginners" and those who want to keep as close to stock as possible. CF-Root is meant to be used in combination with stock Samsung firmwares, and be the quickest and easiest way for your first root.

Donate
    CF-Root has been available for many devices and has clocked over 8 million downloads. This is not even counting custom ROMs that already include it. Don't be a leech, buy me a beer (and use the "Thanks" button!). Imagine if every CF-Root user has donated me $1...

What's installed
    - SuperSU binary and APK
    - Stock recovery

Installation and usage
    Flash the CF-Auto-Root package as PDA in ODIN (details on how to do that are in next post), and your device should reboot into a modified recovery (signified by a large red Android logo) and it will install SuperSU for you and restore the stock recovery, and reboot back into Android.

If you don't get to the red Android logo, boot into recovery manually ("adb reboot recovery", or boot while holding Power+VolUp+Home).

Using this root increases your flash counter. You should run Triangle Away (see below) after rooting to reset the counter. Note that if you want to run custom kernels or custom recoveries, your flash counter will be set to 1 at every boot. Either configure Triangle Away to reset the counter at every boot (Play version only) or only reset the counter when you need to go into warranty.

Did you see the red Android logo during rooting, but SuperSU does not appear? This may sometimes occur due to left-over files and settings, however, you can usually install SuperSU from Google Play at this stage and it'll just work.

Not included - Triangle Away
    Triangle Away can be used to reset the flash counter after installing CF-Root. The flash counter keeps track of how many custom firmwares you have flashed, as this voids warranty. (No idea what this about ? Read up on it, you will want to use this !)

Not included - adbd Insecure
    As this CF-Root does not include a custom kernel, adb shell does not have root access by default (you can still get it by typing su inside the shell), nor is adb remount supported, nor will adb push and adb pull work on system files. adbd Insecure can be used to remedy this situation. (No idea what this is about ? Don't worry about it !)

CF-Auto-Root homepage
    http://autoroot.chainfire.eu/

CF-Auto-Root main thread
    [CENTRAL] CF-Auto-Root
    For requests for new roots and generic discussion - please keep device specific discussion in the thread you are viewing now.

No CWM and such ?
    I have personally moved away from permanent custom recoveries, and I am no longer supporting them. On newer devices they cause flash counter and OTA flashing issues. If you really want one, others do provide versions of CWM and TWRP for most devices. Personally I just use Mobile ODIN to install ZIPs and Titanium Backup for my backup/restore needs. I do always want root though, and as such I'm still supporting CF-Auto-Root as quick way to root.
    ODIN Installation (detailed)

- Follow these instructions to the letter. Do not touch any buttons or checkboxes that are not listed below to touch!
    - Unzip the attached Odin3-vX.X.zip file
    - Download and unzip the CF-Auto-Root-....zip file (see posts below this one)
    - If you end up with a recovery.img and cache.img file, you've extracted twice. You need to end up with a .tar.md5 file - don't extract that one
    - (USB) Disconnect your phone from your computer
    - Start Odin3-vX.X.exe
    - Click the PDA button, and select CF-Auto-Root-....tar.md5
    - Put your phone in download mode (turn off phone, then hold VolDown+Home+Power to boot - if it asks you to press a button to continue, press the listed button, or run adb reboot download command)
    - (USB) Connect the phone to your computer
    - Make sure Repartition is NOT checked
    - Click the Start button
    - Wait for Android to boot
    - Done (if it took you more than 30 seconds, you need practise!)

- NOTE: Sometimes the device does *not* boot into recovery mode and root your device. Just do the entire procedure again if this happens. If it still will not install root and such, make sure that in Odin "Auto Reboot" is not checked. Then after flashing, pull the battery, and boot with VolUp+Home+Power button to boot into recovery manually. This will start the install process.

New to Samsung? Unfamiliar with Odin? Think all the above is a hassle? Get used to it. It's very simple, and us Samsung folk use Odin (or Mobile ODIN ;)) for everything! It's so very very convenient once you get used to it. Notice the 30 second comment above? For experienced users, the entire process indeed takes only 30 seconds!

You may now optionally want to install and run Triangle Away to reset the flash counter.
    Download

2013.05.20 --- CF-Auto-Root

SuperSU: v1.30

Download:

SGH-T999: CF-Auto-Root-d2tmo-d2tmo-sght999.zip

--- History ---
    2013.05.20: SuperSU v1.30
    2013.02.20: SuperSU v1.05
    2012.12.02: SuperSU v0.98
    2012.10.30: SuperSU v0.96
    I have updated all the CF-Auto-Root downloads. The scripts have been slightly improved, the roboto font is now used, and SuperSU has been updated to v0.98 !

There is no need to flash the updated version if you are currently successfully rooted (you'll have gotten the latest SuperSU from Google Play updates already).
    All CF-Auto-Root's have been updated with SuperSU v1.05 today !