• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Shameful OnePlus advertising campaign

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

bennigecko

Nov 2, 2011
Recently OnePLus launched a campaign to advertise it's new smartphone. In my opinion this campaign is totally shameful and reckless because it doesn't care about sustainability and responsibility for the environment at all.
This is why I started a protest website against it: http://smashselfishness.geckosplace.de/en/

Maybe you feel similiar about this campaign, in which case I would ask you to support the matter. In any case I encourage you to discuss is here.

Just for clarification: I think the OnePlus is a very interesting product. But I totally dislike this campaign.

kuromusha38

Feb 16, 2014
Sydney
I agree, that campaign is totally stupid. And very typical of Chinese person/company (I'm Han Chinese too), they have total disregard for their environment and the environment of others and encourages materialism and conspicuous consumption.

johan8

Nov 16, 2010
That is a freakin China company.
That's why I don't use those China brand products, don't use wechat etc.
and the politic in hk is sucks!

LiquidSolstice

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 17, 2008
This is idiotic.

1. There are only 100 phones to be smashed.
2. You are only supposed to smash your phone if you are selected to.
3. There is no requirement that the phone be smashed beyond the point of recycling.
4. The fact they are Chinese is irrelevant.
5. I can almost guarantee you that the Galaxy S4 Mini that you own (based on your posting history) did a LOT more damage to the environment during its production than 100 people hitting their phones with a baseball bat will do. This makes you an utter hypocrite; if you cared so much about enviornmental damage and sustainability, you wouldn't be using a phone created by one of the largest smartphone manufacturers on the planet.

You took a tiny, tiny marketing stunt that makes no dent in the e-waste produced by the world on a daily basis, you made a website "protesting it" (making it about you and your outrage instead about the cause you believe in), and you expect people to agree with you.

No, I don't "feel similar about this campaign" and no sane, intelligent, rational person would feel the same as you about this either.

therealgiblet

Jul 16, 2012
I agree with OP.

(When I told my girlfriend about One plus phone and how good it looked, she asked why I wasn't entering the $1 competition. I told her I didn't think it was right to smash up my S3 just to get the latest tech - even if it is for a dollar).

Stupid marketing ploy with no concern for environment.

Doesn't say good things about the company.

Surely a little bit of common sense and someone with a bit of creativity could of come up with something just as 'catchy' but without the need to encourage mindless destruction of perfectly useable tech.

Why not encourage people to give their phones to someone less fortunate. Might make people feel good and would promote positive image of company.

Idiotic, senseless and badly thought-out marketing strategy.

---------- Post added at 10:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:32 AM ----------

Agreed.

No, I don't "feel similar about this campaign" and no sane, intelligent, rational person would feel the same as you about this either.

Speak for yourself.

kuromusha38

Feb 16, 2014
Sydney
This is idiotic.

3. There is no requirement that the phone be smashed beyond the point of recycling.
5. I can almost guarantee you that the Galaxy S4 Mini that you own (based on your posting history) did a LOT more damage to the environment during its production than 100 people hitting their phones with a baseball bat will do. This makes you an utter hypocrite; if you cared so much about enviornmental damage and sustainability, you wouldn't be using a phone created by one of the largest smartphone manufacturers on the planet.

You took a tiny, tiny marketing stunt that makes no dent in the e-waste produced by the world on a daily basis, you made a website "protesting it" (making it about you and your outrage instead about the cause you believe in), and you expect people to agree with you.

1. 100 phone only because the company is a small one and they can not afford a bigger number. The number is irrelevant, it shows you how stupid and an attention whore this company is.

2. The environment does not discriminate whose phone is smashed. That is one extra phone wasted for no good reason.

3. WTF? Nice logic. Am I suppose to just damage consumer goods so that they can be recycled? Electronic products can not be 100% recycled, some of the components are while the rest go to the dump. So even if the smashed phone is recycled, it is a waste of resource and detriment to the environment.

4. Yeah it has. As I said, I am Chinese and I know Chinese mentality when it comes to stunts like this. You will never see a Western company asking consumers to smash their gadget in order to buy one for $1.

5. WTF? Again, buying from a large or small company have nothing to do with how you as an individual use your device. In fact, Samsung and other large company are more effective at mass production so that their environmental damage caused per phone is much smaller than a smaller tech company can. If I use my Samsung Note 2 for five years while some idiot smash their phone from a small company every year to get a new one, who is doing more damage to the environment? What a stupid logic.

The protection of the Earth is not only the responsibility of the corporation, but also the individual.

I would be more supportive of this stupid ass company if they offered to trade to let me trade in my device for their phone for $1 and then donate my phone to those Chinese who could not afford a smartphone.

Reactions: zee24

therealgiblet

Jul 16, 2012
20,000 phones a day (or more, probably more actually) end up in landfills and garbage, I mean really: you're worried about 100?

Seriously?

I think you misunderstand.

It's the principle of the marketing campaign.

I'm sure one lorry driving 100 miles would (probably) cause more pollution - but that's not the point OP is making is it.

Imagine all companies started promoting there new products in this vain (which they wouldn't as the idea is completely flawed, unsustainable and idiotic - pandering to consumerism at it's worst).

Last edited:
Reactions: kuromusha38

LiquidSolstice

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 17, 2008
1. 100 phone only because the company is a small one and they can not afford a bigger number. The number is irrelevant, it shows you how stupid and an attention whore this company is.

..can not "afford a bigger number". Right. That's why general availability will be coming for the 16GB immediately in May, and full scale availability for the 64 will be in June. Because they can't afford it. What a foolish statement. It's a hundred phones because it's the initial batch to peak people's interest and kick off the invitation system. Anyone with any level of intelligence can see that.

2. The environment does not discriminate whose phone is smashed. That is one extra phone wasted for no good reason.

Amazing! You must have taken every single other avenue that exists out there to bring awareness to the issue of electronic waste to have arrived at this one! Right?

3. WTF? Nice logic. Am I suppose to just damage consumer goods so that they can be recycled?

...are you....sane? No, you're not "suppose[sic]" to do anything. No one is forcing you to do anything. Allow me to propose to you a RADICAL and AMAZING idea, one that most likely has not entered your head yet because you've got the blinders of outrage strapped to your face. Don't. Smash. Your. Phone. Don't do it! If you want the phone, wait until you can pay the normal price, and then recycle your old phone, and that's that, isn't it? Have I utterly blown your mind yet?

Electronic products can not be 100% recycled, some of the components are while the rest go to the dump. So even if the smashed phone is recycled, it is a waste of resource and detriment to the environment.

Right, so do you also demonize people who accidentally break their phones, people who have phones which die, people who buy new phones because their old ones are out of date, people who buy new batteries for their phones, people who get their phones fixed at cellphone repair stores (who may or many not recycle)? Do you get mad at them too? No, you probably don't, because that would require you to be consistent.

4. Yeah it has. As I said, I am Chinese and I know Chinese mentality when it comes to stunts like this. You will never see a Western company asking consumers to smash their gadget in order to buy one for $1.

Yes, I'm sure that's one OnePlus's intention was all along. Not to build a phone and sell it or anything. Not to attract any sort of attention to the device, no, secretly, they're all anti-environment and they want to punish the environment by concocting an evil plan in which they will FORCE people to destroy their phones and pollute th--wait, no, that's not how it is at all and you just want it to be out of your own bias.

5. WTF? Again, buying from a large or small company have nothing to do with how you as an individual use your device. In fact, Samsung and other large company are more effective at mass production so that their environmental damage caused per phone is much smaller than a smaller tech company can. If I use my Samsung Note 2 for five years while some idiot smash their phone from a small company every year to get a new one, who is doing more damage to the environment? What a stupid logic.

What an idiotic, uninformed statement. You think Samsung, because it is large, generates less environmental damage? Do you have any idea how much pollution, in toxins, liquid, an e-waste Foxconn generates on a daily basis? People DIE daily in their factories from inhaling chemicals and drinking water from the area. The social, economical, environmental, and mental damage done by large companies like Samsung in their manufacturing plants TOWERS over 100 people hitting their phones with a hammer. Choosing not to partake in an entirely voluntary marketing scheme where only 100 people smash their phones (and most will probably still be recycled) is NOT the same as a multi-billion dollar company stamping out hundreds of thousands of smartphones every day.

The protection of the Earth is not only the responsibility of the corporation, but also the individual.

So why is this particular individual not refusing to buy or use anything from any company that contributes to the destruction of the Earth? Oh, that's right, because environmentalism is only a topic of discussion when it's convenient for you. You love the idea of "protecting the Earth" but you wouldn't let it get in the way of you enjoying your next mobile device. :)

I would be more supportive of this stupid ass company if they offered to trade to let me trade in my device for their phone for $1 and then donate my phone to those Chinese who could not afford a smartphone.

What a load of bull. You'd be supportive of that because it would be cheap for you, not because of your pseudo-philanthropic claims of wanting to save the environment.

If you cared so much, you'd donate your phone to the Chinese who can't afford it, and you'd do it WITHOUT needing to be bribed by a new $1 smartphone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is idiotic.

Sorry folks, this thread could easily slip into serious off topic arguments and trolling...

Buy the phone, try the phone, interact with the respectful members here. If you do not like the marketing, then do not buy it.

..can not "afford a bigger number". Right. That's why general availability will be coming for the 16GB immediately in May, and full scale availability for the 64 will be in June. Because they can't afford it. What a foolish statement. It's a hundred phones because it's the initial batch to peak people's interest and kick off the invitation system. Anyone with any level of intelligence can see that.

Amazing! You must have taken every single other avenue that exists out there to bring awareness to the issue of electronic waste to have arrived at this one! Right?

3. WTF? Nice logic. Am I suppose to just damage consumer goods so that they can be recycled?

...are you....sane? No, you're not "suppose[sic]" to do anything. No one is forcing you to do anything. Allow me to propose to you a RADICAL and AMAZING idea, one that most likely has not entered your head yet because you've got the blinders of outrage strapped to your face. Don't. Smash. Your. Phone. Don't do it! If you want the phone, wait until you can pay the normal price, and then recycle your old phone, and that's that, isn't it? Have I utterly blown your mind yet?

Electronic products can not be 100% recycled, some of the components are while the rest go to the dump. So even if the smashed phone is recycled, it is a waste of resource and detriment to the environment.

Right, so do you also demonize people who accidentally break their phones, people who have phones which die, people who buy new phones because their old ones are out of date, people who buy new batteries for their phones, people who get their phones fixed at cellphone repair stores (who may or many not recycle)? Do you get mad at them too? No, you probably don't, because that would require you to be consistent.

Yes, I'm sure that's one OnePlus's intention was all along. Not to build a phone and sell it or anything. Not to attract any sort of attention to the device, no, secretly, they're all anti-environment and they want to punish the environment by concocting an evil plan in which they will FORCE people to destroy their phones and pollute th--wait, no, that's not how it is at all and you just want it to be out of your own bias.

What an idiotic, uninformed statement. You think Samsung, because it is large, generates less environmental damage? Do you have any idea how much pollution, in toxins, liquid, an e-waste Foxconn generates on a daily basis? People DIE daily in their factories from inhaling chemicals and drinking water from the area. The social, economical, environmental, and mental damage done by large companies like Samsung in their manufacturing plants TOWERS over 100 people hitting their phones with a hammer. Choosing not to partake in an entirely voluntary marketing scheme where only 100 people smash their phones (and most will probably still be recycled) is NOT the same as a multi-billion dollar company stamping out hundreds of thousands of smartphones every day.

So why is this particular individual not refusing to buy or use anything from any company that contributes to the destruction of the Earth? Oh, that's right, because environmentalism is only a topic of discussion when it's convenient for you. You love the idea of "protecting the Earth" but you wouldn't let it get in the way of you enjoying your next mobile device. :)

What a load of bull. You'd be supportive of that because it would be cheap for you, not because of your pseudo-philanthropic claims of wanting to save the environment.

If you cared so much, you'd donate your phone to the Chinese who can't afford it, and you'd do it WITHOUT needing to be bribed by a new $1 smartphone.
    20,000 phones a day (or more, probably more actually) end up in landfills and garbage, I mean really: you're worried about 100?

Seriously?
    This is idiotic.

3. WTF? Nice logic. Am I suppose to just damage consumer goods so that they can be recycled? Electronic products can not be 100% recycled, some of the components are while the rest go to the dump. So even if the smashed phone is recycled, it is a waste of resource and detriment to the environment.