• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Share Your OnHub Feedback

Search This thread

JasonJoel

Apr 23, 2008
That's kind of a lame answer...

Simply showing the mac on the static ip assignment page would largely fix that issue - regardless if the naming thing is fixed or not.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

adrman

Jul 17, 2012
NYC
Simply showing the mac on the static ip assignment page would largely fix that issue - regardless if the naming thing is fixed or not.
I think the agent I spoke with wasn't exactly all that knowledgeable, as he had to keep placing me on hold to "consult with his team leader". Also, at the time, I was unaware that elsewhere in the app, the mac address is visible. The agent or his "team leader" didn't seem to be aware of it either and left me with the impression that the app wasn't capable of displaying a device's Mac address. I was two minutes from packing the OnHub back up and heading to Best Buy to return it, when I stumbled on the mac address elsewhere. Given that the app does display it, there shouldn't be much of an issue adding it to the static IP page. The question is will they? If I ever get some time, I plan on another call to support just to follow up, since there is a record of the first call on my account.

JasonJoel

Apr 23, 2008
In optimistic that they will add it. Everything is working 'good enough' for me right now, so I have some time to wait and see.

I also submitted a support ticket to google with the request. I thought it would be good to get something official in the system.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Reactions: adrman

nweinfeld

Sep 26, 2015
Got my OnHub almost two weeks ago now with high hopes for better signal strength throughout the house. Unfortunately, after MUCH back and forth with Google Support I STILL cannot get the thing up and running via the required Android App. The phone app "finds" the router fine and etc. but always ends up with the same error message saying that it is unable to obtain an IP address. Google is telling me that I need to try setup with a different device (an idea I'm not at all keen on), and most particularly on the wife's iPhone (!). Said wife will have none of this and so I'm more or less stuck and they seem to have exhausted all ideas. Seems as though I'll need to be returning it to Amazon unless Google Support can come up with SOMETHING sooner rather than later. I must say though that the issue doesn't seem to be "escalating" very far up tech support as I've I've only ever dealt with one rep. Most disappointing.

adrman

Jul 17, 2012
NYC
The phone app "finds" the router fine and etc. but always ends up with the same error message saying that it is unable to obtain an IP address.

Is the app/your phone unable to obtain an ip or is the OnHub unable to pull an IP from your broadband modem/internet provider? Your statement implies the former, but it wouldn't surprise me if it was the latter (and support didn't know how to interpret the error message). What message do you receive?

rossja

Jan 25, 2013
Works pretty well

I've had mine running for 2 weeks now. It works pretty well - setup was simple, the signal has been steady throughout my house (onHub is in the basement, reaches to the 2nd floor np. Signal runs out about 10 feet from the wall on the opposite side of the house on the 2nd floor, so I'm planning to move the onHub to the first floor of the house to give me full coverage).

Like many others here, I find the unnamed device thing annoying, but I haven't gotten around to setting up static leases so it doesn't bother me too much.

I've got a gigE switch plugged into the single port on the onHub, so all the wired devices on my LAN are also running through the onHub. That lets me use the onHub app to see bandwidth for everything in my house, not just wireless devices, which is kind of neat. I've noticed two problems while running this setup:
  1. Wired speeds are ridiculously slow - I think the onHub is prioritizing traffic coming in on the wireless interface over the ethernet one.
  2. For some reason, my Linux laptop (Kubuntu 15.04) can't get a DHCP lease over the wired connection at boot. I have to disconnect the wired interface in network manager, then reconnect it, and it gets a lease no problem that time. I've not looked too hard into wtf is up with that, but it's sort of annoying.

Other than that, things have been great.

narcisco.cruz

Feb 22, 2010
best and worst router!

pros
fixed wifi dropping
fixed coverage issue
fixed speed issue
easy setup

cons
no parental settings
no mac filtering
no qos
no wireless repeating (i bought another onhub to further extend the coverage in my house)

ive had it for 2 months and i love the set it and forget it mentality but i would like to be able to change the cons to pros

jziggy101

Feb 4, 2010
Dearborn
It seems to be working well for me also. My biggest gripe is the "unnamed" devices. With 17 devices and only 3 or 4 that provide a recognizable name to OnHub, perhaps I could give them names? :)

Many of the IoT devices do not report names back to the router or report their names incorrectly. If you have ever used the FING app on you local network you will see some devices as unnamed. If you were to check the mac address via the web you would see that that unnamed device might be a IoT outlet or wireless light bulb etc.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    With the mixed reviews out there, I wasn't expecting much in terms of coverage or perf, but I was pleasantly surprised. Since I live in a fairly large multi story house, I've always had to have range extenders to get upstairs (even with a high-end WAP downstairs). Now, for the first time ever in my house, I have only one WAP (OnHub) and I'm getting 25MB in the farthest reaches of the house. I get 80MB via wifi close to the router (in the same room), but that is similar to what I got before. I get 170MB via wired, so no problem keeping up with a high bandwidth connection, it seems to have plenty of processing power. I suppose putting the OnHub up on a shelf does help with range and perf compared to the old WAP being lower (beneath the TV), but I can't believe placement is making that big of a difference, it seems the range and perf of the OnHub is actually really good. So before where I had 4 wifi networks to deal with (wifi2G, wifi5G, wifi2GExt, wifi5GExt), it's all now just consolidated into one wifi network, which is great. I agree it is kind of a bummer that guest networking is not yet implemented, but I never used it, so not a big issue for me.

I really like being able to do the admin from the mobile app, the simplicity actually takes some getting used to. True, you can't configure security or frequencies (2G, 5G, channels, etc) that I know of, but I'm actually kind of starting to appreciate the simplicity, it is definitely a whole new take on a high-end router/WAP.

Only one LAN port on the OnHub is not really an issue for me because I had more than 4 wired devices (7 to be exact), so I already had an 8 port switch in use, which now (obviously) runs into the one LAN port on the OnHub.

So really my only (minor) issue with it is the standard cables are too short, and I wasn't sure if they were Cat 6, so I just swapped them for 10ft Cat 6 cables I already had; problem solved. I had no problem getting the cover to lock on with normal cables, which sounds different from what others are posting, not sure why, works fine for me.

So far no drops from interference, which was a problem on all my old routers/WAPs since I live in a neighborhood with lots of WAPs in range of my house.

Overall, I'm very happy with it, it has solved most (if not all) my home networking challenges, especially on the wifi side.
    The setup was super easy. Wifi range is much better than the Asus RT-AC66U it replaced. The standard Ethernet cable doesn't fit if you want to keep the outer cover on. The included cables are too short and the power cable is also too short. Otherwise it works well.
    I'm still waiting for mine to arrive tomorrow. Do the "unnamed devices" at least show the mac address, so you can identify what they are? I've been curious about how much control I'd have over settings, ip, etc... I'm currently running a Buffalo router with DD-WRT.

Yes they all at least show the MAC - but that's about it. You can set a static IP and forward ports... but not much else. It's a very simple interface, but I'm assuming it was built that way. I have a feeling as their app evolves they will add more control.
    Here's a screenshot of the "unnamed device" I was talking about.
    Unboxing and set up

http://youtu.be/MW8VeWdCo0I

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk