Shield TV 2019 (non-Pro, tube) ROM Flashing

Search This thread
So I hadn't tried to flash a ROM on my "tube" Shield TV 2019 until the Experience 9 ROMs just leaked. I didn't realize it didn't have a USB port. I have been flashing ROMs on Android phones for over a decade, so I'm good there but what about Fastboot access via network TCP/IP or UDP? I was able to ADB to the Shield with "ADB connect [IP address]" but Fastboot doesn't see the unit at the same IP and I've looked on my router's device list and don't see anything. I have the latest 1.4.3 ADB/Fastboot tools.

So no access to flashing using the SD card slot, ethernet, or network?

THANKS!

jenneh

So I hadn't tried to flash a ROM on my "tube" Shield TV 2019 until the Experience 9 ROMs just leaked. I didn't realize it didn't have a USB port. I have been flashing ROMs on Android phones for over a decade, so I'm good there but what about Fastboot access via network TCP/IP or UDP? I was able to ADB to the Shield with "ADB connect [IP address]" but Fastboot doesn't see the unit at the same IP and I've looked on my router's device list and don't see anything. I have the latest 1.4.3 ADB/Fastboot tools.

THANKS!
I'm sorry, this is slightly off topic, but consider it a bump. haha. A quick question. Do you have a link for the experience rom? I would love to look at it, or do you know what OS they are rolling?

m33ts4k0z

Jul 16, 2011
Örebro

THANKS!
Well I figured it out. First copy the downloaded image to the external sd card of the tube. Then:

1. When you reboot to fastboot using wifi ADB, then first unlock the bootloader.
  2. Then choose "Boot recovery kernel" from the menu. The power button is located above the HDMI port on the tube.
  3. When the dead android image appears, press the power button for 3 seconds and then release.
  4. You should see the recovery menu. If you still see the dead android, then repeat the process by holding the power button pressed for 3-4-5-6 seconds. It can be tricky.
  5. Once in the menu, choose the sd card.
  6. Choose the file.
  7. The process will start. and it should complete after a couple of minutes.
  8. You are then done.
I did some extra steps:

I performed a factory reset and cleared cache from the recovery menu, although this happens automatically when you unlock the bootloader.

I then got back to the fastboot menu and locked the bootloader again. Otherwise you get a warning every time you boot the device.

Be ware that locking/unlocking the bootloader, erases the data of the user partition and the device needs to be setup as from a factory reset. This is by design.

Here is a link with all the images.

Cheers

Last edited:

jenneh

Well I figured it out. First copy the downloaded image to the external sd card of the tube. Then:

1. When you reboot to fastboot using wifi ADB, then first unlock the bootloader.
  2. Then choose "Boot recovery kernel" from the menu. The power button is located above the HDMI port on the tube.
  3. When the dead android image appears, press the power button for 3 seconds and then release.
  4. You should see the recovery menu. If you still see the dead android, then repeat the process by holding the power button pressed for 3-4-5-6 seconds. It can be tricky.
  6. Choose the file.
  8. You are then done.
I did some extra steps:

I performed a factory reset and cleared cache from the recovery menu, although this happens automatically when you unlock the bootloader.

I then got back to the fastboot menu and locked the bootloader again. Otherwise you get a warning every time you boot the device.

Be ware that locking/unlocking the bootloader, erases the data of the user partition and the device needs to be setup as from a factory reset. This is by design.

Cheers
First of all, THANK YOU for this share~ ~! secondly, would you happen to have any idea why my usb ports have stopped working all of a sudden. I swear I didn't step on the shield this time. Lol

jenneh

1. he menu, choose the sd card.
  2. Choose the file.
  3. The process will start. and it should complete after a couple of minutes.
  4. You are then done.
I did some extra steps:

Hello,

trying to do the same but fastboot mode is as far as I get as well. Any ideas on how to flash the image on the tube?

@jenneh

Here you go . The OS is Android 11
false alarm Sir!!! I plugged my mouse in where the usbc cord usually goes, and i have access back! i was about to go return this sield to bestbuy for the 5th time for another hahaha

• Haha
Reactions: m33ts4k0z

tomtom666

Mar 27, 2011
There are links to the recovery firmware 8.2.3 but I can't get past the agree button that shows when klicking on the link..
It could be my old laptop.. but here's the link..

Sinse the update most of my aps are gone or not usable..
I can not fint the shield on my network.. and there is no installable apk showing up in any file manager.
I wil do my best to get back to android 9.

• Love
Reactions: jenneh

tomtom666

Mar 27, 2011
Tried to go back using the 8.2.3 recovery img.. but no luck.
I get an error saying cant flash over newer firmware.

Reactions: jenneh

nvidialuders

Feb 1, 2022
Ugg... I didn't see this post that you can't downgrade until I tried it myself and also got the error. :(

Anybody have any possible work around ideas?

tomyiop

Feb 4, 2022
The same here:
The method I used is the one below according to nvidia's instructions:
Hardware Method:
- Disconnect power cable
- Connect power cable to SHIELD and hold down the remote locator button
- Release the keys once you see the fastboot menu on the screen (it's
red in color)
- If the standard boot process starts, disconnect the power cable and
repeat
the process
FASTBOOT MENU NAVIGATION
Once in fastboot mode (it's red in color), navigate the menus using the
remote locator button on the device.
Short press to navigate and long press for ~2s to select.
FLASHING THE DEVICE
To flash the recovery image to your SHIELD from fastboot, download the
image package.
- Download the image package. Copy the same downloaded zip file with
name
'nv-recovery-image-shield-atv-2019_.zip' to a uSD card that is FAT32
formatted
(where corresponds to the image version of the update being
installed).
Insert uSD card into the uSD card slot on the device
- in fastboot mode select Factory Data reset (opp in Recovery menu
scegli wipe data/factory reset)
- Enter recovery kernel by selecting the option "Boot recovery kernel"
from fastboot menu
- Once the device boots into recovery kernel, you will see a "No
command" image on the
screen
- Long press the remote locator button for ~2s and release button.
Recovery menu should show up (it's blue and green).
If not, please try to long press the button again
- On the recovery menu, select the option "apply update from SD card"
(navigate using short
press of remote locator button and long press ~4s to select and
release button)
- From the SD card contents, select the image package
- At anytime if the display goes back to the "No command" picture, press
the button for ~2s and release button
to go back to the previous screen
- Once the image is selected, the update process should start
Unfortunately the process interrupts with "newer build ....error status
7". I deleted the first two rows of UPDATE-SCRIPT, repacked in ZIP and
reflashed but in vain!! the error was:"Signature failure"
I also use SIGNAPK to sign the new ZIP, but in vain....
Any help?

Reactions: tnomtlaw

kuki68ster

Jul 22, 2012
Luanda
Hello, I have a device that at this moment, after a failed update, ended up blocking..Now I turn it on, I feel that the nvidia heats up, but I don't have a signal on the television or anything, I've tried to do a reset but I haven't been successful because I am unable to enter to the fastboot screen... Does anyone who has gone through the same problem have any tips? Any help would be nice...Thanks

El_Saam

Feb 11, 2016
Turku
Hello, I have a device that at this moment, after a failed update, ended up blocking..Now I turn it on, I feel that the nvidia heats up, but I don't have a signal on the television or anything, I've tried to do a reset but I haven't been successful because I am unable to enter to the fastboot screen... Does anyone who has gone through the same problem have any tips? Any help would be nice...Thanks
This is exactly what's happening to me. For some reason the network stopped working. I tried to see what happens if I factory reset. After the factory reset the device no longer displays anything. It does turn on and I can turn the tv and receiver on and off with the shield remote. I can enter the bootloader though.

Is this a coincidence or did the latest update screw something up?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

THANKS!

THANKS!

6. Choose the file.
    8. You are then done.
    I did some extra steps:

Cheers
    I want to go back from Android 11 to Android 9. It is possible to download a ROM for Shield 2019 Non Pro 8GB ATV 8.2.3? THX
    Hello,

trying to do the same but fastboot mode is as far as I get as well. Any ideas on how to flash the image on the tube?

@jenneh

1. he menu, choose the sd card.
    2. Choose the file.
    3. The process will start. and it should complete after a couple of minutes.
    4. You are then done.
    I did some extra steps:

Hello,

@jenneh

false alarm Sir!!! I plugged my mouse in where the usbc cord usually goes, and i have access back! i was about to go return this sield to bestbuy for the 5th time for another hahaha