Shooting in RAW Vs. RAW+ [Explained]

Search This thread

XDARoni

XDA Community Manager
The OPPO Find X5 Pro is a phone that is packed with photography features. The camera app gives you access to many different photo modes, so you can have a solution for any environment. Professionals who use software to edit their photos tend to shoot with the PRO mode. This mode gives you manual control over all of your camera settings but also has two features called RAW and RAW PLUS. Here's the difference-

WFbM3R91r7qyW2N1_dUlMLLeOYabQmNW4QBLz4SDFd9AGcSd2PaFf-oZFK8B1_k1jVus0hTKWXL_VAmMrj36xo9wgQoiMH37MMzXHaQmNWCj4TCsE0tA0dUEMbzwByhlxjGMDe5a

RAW​

RAW files are uncompressed image files with greater amounts of data in comparison to JPEG files. A RAW file is saved on your phone as a .dng file. These files can be edited with professional photo editing software, but you can also edit them in the ColorOS Photos app.

To shoot photos in RAW go to Camera > PRO mode > settings [three dots in the top right] > RAW

RAW PLUS​

RAW PLUS offers a .dng file that is exactly the same as what you'd get with RAW. The only difference is RAW PLUS will save two files for every picture you take. One file is a .dng and the other is a .jpg. The .jpg is a standard compressed photo that you'd get with the normal PHOTO mode. So what is the point in having both files? The .jpg is much smaller in size and can be shared or previewed easily.

If you're transferring photos to a PC to edit them, you'll find that RAW files do not generate thumbnail previews as .jpg files do. So if you're taking a large number of photos and transferring them to your PC for editing, the .jpg file can act as a preview so you know which photos are which, without having to open them in your editing software.

To shoot photos in RAW go to Camera > PRO mode > settings [three dots in the top right] > RAW PLUS

M3yk9fuTuxset4hP-j_ScIHMK3cA1LBjbZL9-iage-Rw5KxPXyIsZ3lObzHLsHStCG7_qqBkyhkinrOpO289fc5B4vaAhUfO05AhQ1ue6Nl9-oie5UptIaWMbV1sP6LoNIeVLRhH

Since my OPPO Find X5 Pro has a 512GB storage capacity, I don't stress about how much space my photos will take up, and shoot everything in RAW PLUS. Editing these files in the default Photos app is a great experience, with lots of amazing tools to take advantage of.

Thanks to OPPO for supporting this thread

Reactions: TferThomas

hitzestau

Jul 7, 2022
Sorry, but I have no idea where you got this information. The difference between RAW and RAW+ on the OPPO Find X5 Pro is the following:
RAW-Mode: creates a dng and a jpg/heic.
RAW+: only creates a dng.

RAW+ works in a similar way as multi-frame raw. As Oppo themselves explains: RAW+ captures more details and a wider dynamic range.

There might be some confusion with the designation "RAW+". With DSLR´s, RAW+ often refers to the option to save both a dng and a jpg, while RAW only saves a dng.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-07-07 at 12.10.18.png
    Screen Shot 2022-07-07 at 12.10.18.png
    366.1 KB · Views: 16

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    The OPPO Find X5 Pro is a phone that is packed with photography features. The camera app gives you access to many different photo modes, so you can have a solution for any environment. Professionals who use software to edit their photos tend to shoot with the PRO mode. This mode gives you manual control over all of your camera settings but also has two features called RAW and RAW PLUS. Here's the difference-

WFbM3R91r7qyW2N1_dUlMLLeOYabQmNW4QBLz4SDFd9AGcSd2PaFf-oZFK8B1_k1jVus0hTKWXL_VAmMrj36xo9wgQoiMH37MMzXHaQmNWCj4TCsE0tA0dUEMbzwByhlxjGMDe5a

RAW​

RAW files are uncompressed image files with greater amounts of data in comparison to JPEG files. A RAW file is saved on your phone as a .dng file. These files can be edited with professional photo editing software, but you can also edit them in the ColorOS Photos app.

To shoot photos in RAW go to Camera > PRO mode > settings [three dots in the top right] > RAW

RAW PLUS​

RAW PLUS offers a .dng file that is exactly the same as what you'd get with RAW. The only difference is RAW PLUS will save two files for every picture you take. One file is a .dng and the other is a .jpg. The .jpg is a standard compressed photo that you'd get with the normal PHOTO mode. So what is the point in having both files? The .jpg is much smaller in size and can be shared or previewed easily.

If you're transferring photos to a PC to edit them, you'll find that RAW files do not generate thumbnail previews as .jpg files do. So if you're taking a large number of photos and transferring them to your PC for editing, the .jpg file can act as a preview so you know which photos are which, without having to open them in your editing software.

To shoot photos in RAW go to Camera > PRO mode > settings [three dots in the top right] > RAW PLUS

M3yk9fuTuxset4hP-j_ScIHMK3cA1LBjbZL9-iage-Rw5KxPXyIsZ3lObzHLsHStCG7_qqBkyhkinrOpO289fc5B4vaAhUfO05AhQ1ue6Nl9-oie5UptIaWMbV1sP6LoNIeVLRhH

Since my OPPO Find X5 Pro has a 512GB storage capacity, I don't stress about how much space my photos will take up, and shoot everything in RAW PLUS. Editing these files in the default Photos app is a great experience, with lots of amazing tools to take advantage of.

Thanks to OPPO for supporting this thread