Sony Xperia 1 III
We can select customized app for "ShortKey"
Screenshot_20211127-142529.png

Screenshot_20211127-142537.png

hotcakes_shinku

Sep 27, 2016
Xperia XZ2
Sony Xperia 1 III
It is possible that this feature may only come to countries with strong anti monopoly laws. Russia has asked phones sold there to offer local Russian alternatives to set as defaults, and without the ability to customize the button, Sony may have been deemed anti competitive. So they added this option to make sure they don't get fined/kicked out of the Russian market. I assume EU countries may get the same option.

The rest of the world? Ask your government to fine Google for anti competition and maybe we will get that button to be customizable too.

Sakuma_Eitarou

Jul 23, 2016
Sony Xperia 1 III
It is possible that this feature may only come to countries with strong anti monopoly laws. Russia has asked phones sold there to offer local Russian alternatives to set as defaults, and without the ability to customize the button, Sony may have been deemed anti competitive. So they added this option to make sure they don't get fined/kicked out of the Russian market. I assume EU countries may get the same option.

The rest of the world? Ask your government to fine Google for anti competition and maybe we will get that button to be customizable too.
no, it's because European users sh** eaters, almost every android phone has limitations in firmware in the European market (lower volume by 10%, or haven't eq, like my old OP7)

jaseman

Aug 27, 2012
Spring
Well, they better release this for the US!
For now I already have my button remapped. You can find out how to do it right here on XDA.

hotcakes_shinku

Sep 27, 2016
Xperia XZ2
Sony Xperia 1 III
no, it's because European users sh** eaters, almost every android phone has limitations in firmware in the European market (lower volume by 10%, or haven't eq, like my old OP7)
I'm only basing myself on assumptions, but the EU has already fined Google multiple times. Android users in the EU already have a ballot system where they are allowed to pick what browser and what search provider to be installed and used during setup in phones officially sold in the EU with EU region firmware.

This is not about feature limitations. This is about anticompetition. If Sony doesn't allow you to remap the button and forces you to use Google, just report it to your Government, They will fine Sony and tell them to fix it or get out of the EU market. Please read what I post instead of just rambling off your own complaints. I use logic, you are just screaming out of spite.

Edit: added links for your perusal. Please read and understand.

Last edited:

kevinmcmurtrie

Aug 22, 2015
Sony just isn't any good at software. The Xperia 1 III is a beautiful piece of hardware but, damn, it's a mess to use. Sony has made fewer than the minimum number of changes needed for complete functionality. What they have changed tends to malfunction.

hotcakes_shinku

Sep 27, 2016
Xperia XZ2
Sony Xperia 1 III
Sony just isn't any good at software. The Xperia 1 III is a beautiful piece of hardware but, damn, it's a mess to use. Sony has made fewer than the minimum number of changes needed for complete functionality. What they have changed tends to malfunction.
While I agree that Sony is getting from bad to to worse in terms of supporting their own phone's Android, I believe this is purely a marketing decision, either by Google or by Sony, or both.

Simple really. As long as they can get away with it, why not just force Google on everybody. Google gets profit from ads/collecting user data, and Sony gets profit from Google thanks to revenue sharing of those services running on their phones. That option will not be added to roms in countries that do not have strict anti competition laws. It has nothing to do with bugs or poor programming. If a feature isn't added to a software, how can there be a bug preventing it from appearing? It doesn't exist.