Should I change MIUI for a custom ROM?

Search This thread

mGrilo

Feb 11, 2021
Hey there, how are u doing? :)

I just got my Poco X3 NFC (was using Mi A3), and I kinda feel like pure android is really better to use in general than MIUI (at least for me). Wondering if it's better to change it now, since I don't have much on phone (less than 1 week) or just keep MIUI because 12.5 is about to get there.

Was checking the forum and found a lot of ROMs, but I don't really get if's not "the same" as MIUI, since it's an Android ROM with modifications based on... something they wanted to change. Most popular ROMs seem to be ArrowOS, Ressurection-Remix, and others non official ROMs (LineageOS have Android 11 already). I have NO IDEA what I should be looking in general, no idea what is Selinux, permissive, don't flash with some softwares, etc. Not sure if it affects how I will use it commonly tbh.

I mean, I usually use my phone to access social media, use a lot of spotify/youtube, and I probably will need to root to have a good Linux machine running there for my studies (actually using UserLand), that's why I'm wondering about ROMs. Battery is really important since I run a virtual machine imo.

So, what do u think? Should I change MIUI with another custom ROM or just keep it because XIAOMI upgrades it frequently? Would you recommend some ROM in specific? As I said, just want good battery life and QoL using my apps and Bluetooth connection (phones and smartwatch 24/7).

Never used custom ROMs tbh, but would give a shot. Always loved community based stuff :)

SkaboXD

Jan 18, 2017
Ganja
Xiaomi Poco X3 NFC
ArrowOS is my recommendation. Well made ROM. You can also flash F1xy kernel if you want more fluidity with still good battery life.

Only thing is you don't have the features of stock MIUI camera and flashing ANX Camera on ArrowOS didn't worked for me. If you want that, you can use crDroid which has it built-in.

Flash it. It offers better performance, good battery life + it's nice & clean. You can notice it simply by doing basic tasks. Less frames are dropped.

For OTA, do dirty flash of ROM, but I prefer clean flash as it makes sure that there are no bugs related to dirty flashing + I'm starting clean. I do clean flash every time I notice that Device side changelog is changed. I'm using ArrowOS which has updates almost every day. crDroid updates often too. Like once in 7 day, but it's not the fixed schedule. NitrogenOS updates every 15 days-1 month.

NitrogenOS was my ROM before, it was good, but ArrowOS is just better. ArrowOS & basically other ROMs are based on newest sources while NitrogenOS is the only ROM right now that is still based on 12.0.3 firmware. ArrowOS has Enforcing seLinux unlike Nitrogen etc. These small things is what makes ArrowOS better ROM than others. Only crDroid can "fight" with it imo.

Reactions: SoundWave007

badadam

Oct 16, 2010
Copenhagen
Hey there, how are u doing? :)

I just got my Poco X3 NFC (was using Mi A3), and I kinda feel like pure android is really better to use in general than MIUI (at least for me). Wondering if it's better to change it now, since I don't have much on phone (less than 1 week) or just keep MIUI because 12.5 is about to get there.

Was checking the forum and found a lot of ROMs, but I don't really get if's not "the same" as MIUI, since it's an Android ROM with modifications based on... something they wanted to change. Most popular ROMs seem to be ArrowOS, Ressurection-Remix, and others non official ROMs (LineageOS have Android 11 already). I have NO IDEA what I should be looking in general, no idea what is Selinux, permissive, don't flash with some softwares, etc. Not sure if it affects how I will use it commonly tbh.

I mean, I usually use my phone to access social media, use a lot of spotify/youtube, and I probably will need to root to have a good Linux machine running there for my studies (actually using UserLand), that's why I'm wondering about ROMs. Battery is really important since I run a virtual machine imo.

So, what do u think? Should I change MIUI with another custom ROM or just keep it because XIAOMI upgrades it frequently? Would you recommend some ROM in specific? As I said, just want good battery life and QoL using my apps and Bluetooth connection (phones and smartwatch 24/7).

Never used custom ROMs tbh, but would give a shot. Always loved community based stuff :)
I´ve had the phone for around 3 weeks now and it´s the first phone in years that I haven´t unlocked and installed custom Roms.
The reason is that my bank detects unlocked bootloader and I cannot use Google Pay which I use on a daily basis.
After debloating the phone and setting up the relevant apps so they don´t get shut down by the aggresive MIUI battery savings I am really satisfied. I also have a smartwatch connected 24/7 and I get around 8-9 hours SOT. Just normal usage, no gaming.
I also installed the MI Control Center from Play Store to customize the control center which is quite cool giving a bit of a customized look.
The only thing I am not to keen about is the fact that the Android security has not been updated since november 2020.
So far I am sticking with stock and looking forward to see what Miui 12.5 will be like.

Last edited:

mGrilo

Feb 11, 2021
On Xiaomi you can always flash stock and relock bootloader if you need to unlike Samsung (thanks Knox /s)

So, it's like "try it, if u don't like it, just get MIUI back", right? Cool!

ArrowOS is my recommendation. Well made ROM. You can also flash F1xy kernel if you want more fluidity with still good battery life.

OTA is the android updater? I'm kinda wants to update like I do with MIUI. Options > Updates > Update > Restart and Done
I don't use much cameras, just on my job tbh. As I said, just want a good battery to use my Linux on background (I already do it all day basically, I would say), and free ads (disabled all of them on MIUI, I think). Like, for example, installed Vanced YT on my Mi A3 in 5 minutes, while I reinstalled 3 times on POCO X3 and still can't log-on.

I´ve had the phone for around 3 weeks now and it´s the first phone in years that I haven´t unlocked and installed custom Roms.

Not sure if my bank do that... hope it doesn't. Yes, lot of apps are useless and uninstalled already.
I only "game" idle games, which means like 30 mins/day.

Still wondering if I should or not try a ROM. Probably will on weekend since I won't use it.

Oh, and BTW, my night mode is kinda buggy in a few apps, had to disable it on android and use in-app features. Not sure if it's MIUI problem, but never happened on my Mi A3.

badadam

Oct 16, 2010
Copenhagen
With ArrowOS you can use bank apps and google play...
Like I wrote my bank in Denmark detects unlocked bootloaders. So there is no way I can use my bank apps as long as the bootloader is unlocked .
I had problems using ArrowOS on my Redmi Note 8T and called the help service in my bank. When I told him my phone model the helpdesk guy asked me right away if I had unlocked my bootloader which I "admitted" I did. Turns out that the guy knew eveything about custom Roms, unlocked bootloaders and rooted phones. He told me that most banks in Denmark put safety first and do anything to lock out devices with unlocked bootloaders even if Safetny passes without problems.
So I haven´t even tried unlocking the bootloader on my X3 NFC as I use my bank apps and Google Pay everyday.
And I am actually quite satsfied with stock MIUI after debloating and twirking. Looking forward to see how 12.5 will improve the phone.

SkaboXD

Jan 18, 2017
Ganja
Xiaomi Poco X3 NFC
Like I wrote my bank in Denmark detects unlocked bootloaders. So there is no way I can use my bank apps as long as the bootloader is unlocked .
I had problems using ArrowOS on my Redmi Note 8T and called the help service in my bank. When I told him my phone model the helpdesk guy asked me right away if I had unlocked my bootloader which I "admitted" I did. Turns out that the guy knew eveything about custom Roms, unlocked bootloaders and rooted phones. He told me that most banks in Denmark put safety first and do anything to lock out devices with unlocked bootloaders even if Safetny passes without problems.
So I haven´t even tried unlocking the bootloader on my X3 NFC as I use my bank apps and Google Pay everyday.
And I am actually quite satsfied with stock MIUI after debloating and twirking. Looking forward to see how 12.5 will improve the phone.

Wow, what a story. Thanks for sharing.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    With ArrowOS you can use bank apps and google play...
    On Xiaomi you can always flash stock and relock bootloader if you need to unlike Samsung (thanks Knox /s)

Only thing is you don't have the features of stock MIUI camera and flashing ANX Camera on ArrowOS didn't worked for me. If you want that, you can use crDroid which has it built-in.

Flash it. It offers better performance, good battery life + it's nice & clean. You can notice it simply by doing basic tasks. Less frames are dropped.

For OTA, do dirty flash of ROM, but I prefer clean flash as it makes sure that there are no bugs related to dirty flashing + I'm starting clean. I do clean flash every time I notice that Device side changelog is changed. I'm using ArrowOS which has updates almost every day. crDroid updates often too. Like once in 7 day, but it's not the fixed schedule. NitrogenOS updates every 15 days-1 month.

NitrogenOS was my ROM before, it was good, but ArrowOS is just better. ArrowOS & basically other ROMs are based on newest sources while NitrogenOS is the only ROM right now that is still based on 12.0.3 firmware. ArrowOS has Enforcing seLinux unlike Nitrogen etc. These small things is what makes ArrowOS better ROM than others. Only crDroid can "fight" with it imo.
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone