• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Should I flash Stock Firmware to Switch Between ROMS?

Search This thread
Hi all I am on my Redmi Note 8 running Pixel Experience 11+, I would like to switch to CorvusOS to mess around with Kernels (Bear with me it's a phase) and because the Dirty Unicorns thing intrigued me. I started the research phase by reading some articles and watching videos on YouTube, but many of them contradict each other. Some say you need to flash the Stock Firmware before flashing the ROM Zip, some say it doesn't matter no matter what ROM you come from. I'm getting mixed feelings here because they flaunt their ROM in the end of the video after contradicting each other. What should I do here esteemed developers? As an afterthought I also read that flashing Stock firmware would bring the Mi Recovery and I'm afraid it would overwrite TWRP and if I **** something up I wouldn't be able to restore my NANDROID Backups. What do I do?

jwoegerbauer

Jul 11, 2009
European Union
These are the methods of flashing a ROM:

Dirty Flash = Flashing over current ROM
Clean Flash = Wiping EVERYTHING to make way for a new ROM.

A dirty flash keeps system data from the previous ROM. If the ROMs are not compatible with each other, you'll run into problems.

I always do a clean flash even if it's the same ROM... Takes away the headaches of trying to figure out the problems of a dirty flash.

These are the methods of flashing a ROM:

Dirty Flash = Flashing over current ROM
Clean Flash = Wiping EVERYTHING to make way for a new ROM.

A dirty flash keeps system data from the previous ROM. If the ROMs are not compatible with each other, you'll run into problems.

I always do a clean flash even if it's the same ROM... Takes away the headaches of trying to figure out the problems of a dirty flash.
Well PE and CorvusOS are definitely not compatible with each other, and my understanding is that Dirty Flashing Works only when updating a ROM. So should I flash the stock Firmware before flashing CorvusOS or is that not required since I'm planning to format data and then flash Corvus.
Thanks in advance.

jwoegerbauer

Jul 11, 2009
European Union
In my opinion, the only thing that matters is that a backup of the /efs partition is made before installing a new ROM that fits the device.
I can not understand why an intermediate step should be taken. But of course you can do what you think you have to do.