Should I Get A Nook Color?

Search This thread

TheWhiteBandito

Retired Recognized Developer
Jun 15, 2010
NY/CT
Hey guys,

I have a Droid Incredible (been rooted since root was available!) and love it. Anyway, my question is should I get one of these Nook Colors? They seem too good to be true, the price is cheap and it seems like a great tablet when paired with CM7 or other custom roms.

But I guess what I'm here to ask is, how do you guys use your Nook Color? If I already have a rooted smartphone that is with me at all times, what are some of the benefits of the Nook? What DON'T you like about the Nook?

Thanks for your time :)

ramiss

Jan 24, 2008
Orlando
I am sure that answer will ultimately come from you. After all, 10 years ago nobody needed a smartphone either!

The beauty of the Nook is that it is cheap enough to get and then discover its place in your digital life.

Sent from my PC36100 using XDA Premium App

Divine_Madcat

Retired Forum Moderator
Sep 9, 2005
USA
Hey guys,

I have a Droid Incredible (been rooted since root was available!) and love it. Anyway, my question is should I get one of these Nook Colors? They seem too good to be true, the price is cheap and it seems like a great tablet when paired with CM7 or other custom roms.

But I guess what I'm here to ask is, how do you guys use your Nook Color? If I already have a rooted smartphone that is with me at all times, what are some of the benefits of the Nook? What DON'T you like about the Nook?

Thanks for your time :)

Well, as a rooted incredible owner, i feel safe in chiming in.

Frankly, since getting my Nook, my incredible has seen almost 0 use, short of kicking on WiFi tether. The nook with CM7 is amazing, and does everything my Inc did, but better. Its more fun to game on, work on, and browse on, but still small enough to take with me everywhere. I love it.

What don't i like about it? Bluetooth range could be better, but thats about it...

MickMcGeough

May 20, 2011
When I'm not at work on a computer already, it's my go-to browser, email client, news reader, and e-reader.

I'm moderately jealous of the browsing experience on an iPad, and its silky smooth responsiveness.

I wish the Nook had 3G and a mic, but I'm certainly not complaining @ $249.

Sniperet

Mar 26, 2011
My introduction to Android was my Thunderbolt which of course I rooted and played with for awhile. Then the NC caught my eye since I've used a Sony reader for a few years and with a little net research I just had to have the NC.

Primary use = ebook reader
Bonus uses = games, internet and the ability to play with the Android OS with the comfort of knowing that no matter how bad I screw up the NC will boot from the SD card and can be fixed.

My NC normally runs the latest CM7 stable release but I can experiment with other roms whenever I feel like playing around and know that I can always reflash my last stable rom with all my settings and apps. :D

NookyLov3r

May 23, 2011
The nook color is the first "tablet" I've owned. I've played with my friend's iPad enough to feel that a *minimum* $500 price tag was not worth it. Even compared to other tabs like the Xoom and Galaxy, I still feel $500 is not worth it.

The $250 price point is what did it for me. It's got great functionality and I've learned SO MUCH from this site and playing with it. my only gripe is it can get a little laggy. I haven't learned how to overclock it yet but that is probably the key to a more responsive experience.

definitely worth it.

james robinson

Jul 11, 2007
Well, as a rooted incredible owner, i feel safe in chiming in.

Frankly, since getting my Nook, my incredible has seen almost 0 use, short of kicking on WiFi tether. The nook with CM7 is amazing, and does everything my Inc did, but better. Its more fun to game on, work on, and browse on, but still small enough to take with me everywhere. I love it.

What don't i like about it? Bluetooth range could be better, but thats about it...

I don't have a Droid Incredible, however, I do tend to use my Evo 4 G less that I use to because of the NC 7 in screen. With CM7, browsing, reading, gaming, & etc. are way better!!! My advice, get one!!!

buffalosolja42

Aug 19, 2007
Gainesville
The nook color is the first "tablet" I've owned. I've played with my friend's iPad enough to feel that a *minimum* $500 price tag was not worth it. Even compared to other tabs like the Xoom and Galaxy, I still feel $500 is not worth it.

The $250 price point is what did it for me. It's got great functionality and I've learned SO MUCH from this site and playing with it. my only gripe is it can get a little laggy. I haven't learned how to overclock it yet but that is probably the key to a more responsive experience.

definitely worth it.
using dalringo's builds the overclocking is in the settings menu (if that is what you are using)

chefdave12118

Dec 11, 2010
Mechanicville
www.faldonis.com
I also have an Evo 4g and could NEVER put the thing down. Honestly since the nook color I use my Evo as a phone except for wifi tether (well I am flashing mikgs 3.0 Rom as I type this for my Evo. I got my NC on craigslist for $100.00 from a kid that didn't read one book on it, brought it home, rooted it, put cm7 on it and couldn't be happier. I also have a first Gen ipad that I don't even look at anymore. I actually have the ipad on craigslist for a trade for a Xoom. IMO the NC is the best bang for your Buck. It doesn't have a cam or GPS but your Droid Inc does ... SO GO GET IT AND PUT CM7 ON IT! :)

Sent from my Nexus S using XDA Premium App

obsidianblackhawk

May 19, 2010
Citrus Heights, CA
Another Incredible owner here: Other than making a phone call, or playing a high end game that requires my Monstrous laptop my nook has replaced EVERY SINGLE DEVICE in my house, for both myself and the wife.

Now that i have one I'm not sure what i did without it!

mailtoal

Mar 8, 2011
Huntsville, Alabama
I am not using stock firm, but always used CM7 ROMs. I loved when I used Froyo, but with Gingerbread update i hated it due to battery bug. It won't go to sleep and drain the battery in 2-3 days without any use. But since CM7 nightly 82 build, they fixed this bug, and I love my Nook Color with Gingerbread.. You will love this toy. Its great!!!

lyam23

Jun 15, 2010
What do I like? Nearly everything. Web browsing, games, photo display, netflix streaming, email, notes at work, task management at work, etc..

What don't I like? It doesn't support stylus input for ****.

Blue6IX

May 20, 2011
What don't I like? It doesn't support stylus input for ****.

Might be your stylus. I have one I got from best buy, soft rubber tip - forget the manufacturer, but it's all black. I can go find out in a few days if you'd like.

Works great, haven't had an issue with it. I prefer to use my finger most often, but it comes in handy in some games.

In regards to the thread purpose, the Nook is definitely worth it if you are already here in this forum ... you have all the tools in front of you to unlock it's potential.

I don't have a smart phone, can't compare to that, but like others have mentioned before - perfect size of portability vs. usability. I still prefer a real sized monitor if possible, but more often then not there is no real pc around.

It's big enough to make browsing the web worthwhile, and not squinting into a tiny smart phone. I used to have an ipod touch, which is about that size, and it just wasn't a good web experience.

It rides along in one of the cargo pockets of my pants, can't tell you how often i've been glad to have it (even before I rooted it)

The price point makes it. At half the cost of a 'tablet' you get all the functionality, and darn close the power.

I don't think you'll regret picking one up if you do.