Should I get MK808 or MK809 now?

Search This thread

androidtvnoob

Jan 21, 2013
I am new to android tv in general, and I am looking to buy my first android usb stick. I am wondering if you guys would recommend the MK808 or MK809?

So far, I read that the MK808 has amazing support - since many developers and programmers have it but it seems to have a few glitches here and there (wifi and bluebooth etc.)

And the MK809 - the latest in the series. All issues on 808 seems to be addressed, but the 809 lack of support and popularity..

Please share your inputs. Thanks

Mamarosoft

Jan 23, 2013
I am new to android tv in general, and I am looking to buy my first android usb stick. I am wondering if you guys would recommend the MK808 or MK809?

So far, I read that the MK808 has amazing support - since many developers and programmers have it but it seems to have a few glitches here and there (wifi and bluebooth etc.)

And the MK809 - the latest in the series. All issues on 808 seems to be addressed, but the 809 lack of support and popularity..

Please share your inputs. Thanks

Hi there,

I own the MK809, can't comment on the 808, but the 809 works perfectly.

Neptune23

Jan 14, 2013
Hi,
and Hello to everyone.

Also bought the MK809 (T002)

- Runs smoothly without any glitches. Latest official FW installed from mk809.com
If you update the FW dont flash the MK809II Firmware onto the MK809. TV-Dongle runs but some important functions will not work anymore.
Have just tested it to see if i can get Bluetooth support for my MicroBluetooth dongle.

- Antutu 3.0.3 result without tweaking or overclocking: 7983 points

- Controlled by a mini Keyboard Rii mini i8 or the MK802iii remote client app from the PlayStore.

- Runs with my phone charger 5V/1A without problems. But to be on the safe side i also bought an extra 5V/2A power supply for 8bucks.

- Quickly rootable with Zhoudashi tool.

- MX Player shows all FullHD test-vids i tested from blender.org smoothly (Sintel / Tears of Steel)
Resolution 1920/1080/60 using MX players new HW Decoder. Using HW+ i had system freezes causing me to power off the system.

- Cant say anything about digital audio output due to missing equipment. But check the MK809II thread, there is a discussion ongoing.

- Connected devices using a passive usb-hub: 1TB HDD, 16GB Key, RF-Keyboard, USB Gamepad

For sure you can find more custom roms out there for other models, like the MK808.
I also cant say anything about the MK808 but for my needs (as a PC-replacement connected to a big screen :D) the MK809 serves perfect.

Cheers

Last edited:

androidtvnoob

Jan 21, 2013
Hi,
and Hello to everyone.

- Runs smoothly without any glitches. Latest official FW installed from mk809.com
If you update the FW dont flash the MK809II Firmware onto the MK809. TV-Dongle runs but some important functions will not work anymore.
Have just tested it to see if i can get Bluetooth support for my MicroBluetooth dongle.

- Controlled by a mini Keyboard Rii mini i8 or the MK802iii remote client app from the PlayStore.

- Runs with my phone charger 5V/1A without problems. But to be on the safe side i also bought an extra 5V/2A power supply for 8bucks.

- MX Player shows all FullHD test-vids i tested from blender.org smoothly (Sintel / Tears of Steel)
Resolution 1920/1080/60 using MX players new HW Decoder. Using HW+ i had system freezes causing me to power off the system.

- Cant say anything about digital audio output due to missing equipment. But check the MK809II thread, there is a discussion ongoing.

- Connected devices using a passive usb-hub: 1TB HDD, 16GB Key, RF-Keyboard, USB Gamepad

For sure you can find more custom roms out there for other models, like the MK808.
I also cant say anything about the MK808 but for my needs (as a PC-replacement connected to a big screen :D) the MK809 serves perfect.

Cheers

Thanks for the explanation. It seems to me that it really depends on what the user wants to do afterall.

MK809 is flawless for watching/stream movies, while MK808 is more about experimenting with different features / custom rom etc.?
BTW, you got the MK809 right? Not the MK809II or MK809b? (sorry, there are so many different models, that I am confused already)

Reactions: frenchjdk

Neptune23

Jan 14, 2013
Thanks for the explanation. It seems to me that it really depends on what the user wants to do afterall.

MK809 is flawless for watching/stream movies, while MK808 is more about experimenting with different features / custom rom etc.?
BTW, you got the MK809 right? Not the MK809II or MK809b? (sorry, there are so many different models, that I am confused already)

Yes,
i got the MK809 with 4GB. (Model HTC-T002-V0).
4GB is the only limitation so far. I already started using Apps2SD. Bluetooth would also be a nice option.

I have a 2nd MK809 Dongle here (same model) which has some glitches on the HDMI output. I will use this one to play around with Finless ROM and will try to get my USB-DVB-C running. But i will lose WiFi i think due to missing RTL8188 support.
Will report later.

Cheers

androidtvnoob

Jan 21, 2013
Why does everyone want to load finless ROM on their stick tho? I thought MK809 already comes with android 4.1.1 installed jelly bean or whatever. isnt that good enough? What so especial about finless ROM?

hankhandsome

Jul 7, 2010
it helps that the finless rom is rooted because a lot of the best adblocking software available is for rooted models only. it also means you can use titanium backup to drop any of the stock programs you won't ever use either.

it also gives you significantly more space for apps - i have 2gb free now, where I had ( i think ) about 500mb free with the stock rom

rawimage

Jun 16, 2008
Sv: Should I get MK808 or MK809 now?

I have the mk808b Bluetooth model and it works great.
I've read somewhere that it has a different Wifi chip compared to the mk808 and I haven't experienced any problems with poor Wifi. I've got my router in a different room some 8 m away and behind concrete walls and a steel cabinet, still some 70-80% signal.
It came pre rooted so all I had to do when I got it was to add my Gmail account and I was good to go.
No heat issues, it gets no warmer than my phone while watching movies and during normal play it's just a bit over room temperature.
I use a Logitech K400 keyboard with the tiny receiver plugged right into the mk808b 's USB port.
It's been running for 3 days now and no glitches what so ever. Only complaint is that Google Currents is impossible to read, the text is ridiculously small, but that's not the mk808b' s fault :)

I got the mk808b since I wanted Bluetooth and it was cheaper than the others.

Skickat från min LT26i via Tapatalk 2

Neptune23

Jan 14, 2013
As mentioned previously i now flashed the Finless ROM 1.7 onto my 2nd MK809.

I works perfectly, from what i saw until now.

I have the HTC-T002-V0 PCB with RTL8188EUS WIFI. I have no issues. The WIFI runs like before. Fast and stable.

I am using the CPU1272 Kernel which is a little bit overclocked.

peoplenamed

Jan 30, 2013
Linux

I just bought one of these, and I love it so far!! I was wondering about loading Linux on to this..I know you can load a version of Ubuntu on to arm processors... Will it work for this?

jockyw2001

Inactive Recognized Developer
May 17, 2007
Does anyone know how to output raw digital audio via the HDMI ?
Haven't found a setting or player yet that can do this.

player911

Sep 8, 2006
Cincinnati
www.SnapSiteAdmins.com
Check out the thread about the mk812 it looks even better.

Yea i dunno. I got excited about the dual core Cortex A9 CPU until i read the tech specs and it isn't a Cortex but an Allwinner which is meh. I love how it says 1.6 CPU then the specs say different.

The external antenna and Bluetooth is nice but I'd stay away. The different chip probably means little to no dev support.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using XDA Premium HD app

iRiKi

Jul 27, 2007
Lisbon
I'm looking an alternative to a living-room PC which I dont have because I'm poor :D and so I became interested in the Android sticks.

1) Has any1 tested Flash streaming in normal HD ie 720p?
2) Which one has support for linux? the 809II ? or the 809?

Thanks in advance \o\

player911

Sep 8, 2006
Cincinnati
www.SnapSiteAdmins.com
I'm looking an alternative to a living-room PC which I dont have because I'm poor :D and so I became interested in the Android sticks.

1) Has any1 tested Flash streaming in normal HD ie 720p?
2) Which one has support for linux? the 809II ? or the 809?

Thanks in advance \o\

Flash runs great on the MK808 which are the same thing as the 809s I believe, just with Bluetooth.

Ubuntu is coming but I don't see much of it. These guys run Android pretty good and I'd stick with it. Android is much better geared at this stuff and the apps look great on a TV.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Premium HD app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi,
    and Hello to everyone.

Cheers
    Hi,
    and Hello to everyone.

Cheers

I just got the MK808 and I pretty much love it. Plugged it in, messed around with the stock ROM that shipped with it (10 Jan build), then decided to go with Finless 1.6 for all the minor tweaks (e.g., power button being the most important) and I couldn't be happier.

Also, I only used it with the provided power supply for one hour. The very next day, I switched to a PS Vita charger as the power supply as I do not trust these Chinese chargers.

If you're leery of the stock ROM about having "hidden apps" or questionable apps, just install anti-spyware from the Market and run a scan. =) My initial scan came back clean.

Just my two cents. =)
    Have you tried streaming a movie from the Wifi? IMHO the wifi's in these devices are the achile's heels, still haven't decided what to do. I cba doing hw mods, too little time :)

My MK808 streamed a 4 GB MKV file just fine with no stuttering. =)

Speedtests showed no issues as well (i.e., 15 mbps down, about 1 mbps up). I get my maximum 54 mbps on the WIFI network as well (G network).

It's about 3-4 days of being left turned on now and still no issues. =D
    AW: Should I get MK808 or MK809 now?

Have you tried streaming a movie from the Wifi? IMHO the wifi's in these devices are the achile's heels, still haven't decided what to do. I cba doing hw mods, too little time :)

Depends on the source. SD works fine, 720p works good, 1080p no way over wlan for me (perfect signal strenght). It was a 17GB AC3 mkv and some others....

Gesendet von meinem Nexus 10 mit Tapatalk 2