Should I get the 8 Pro vs 8T / 9

Search This thread

azsl1326

Mar 13, 2008
Arizona
OnePlus 8 Pro
OnePlus 8T
Hello All,

I am upgrading my 6T and trying to get some feedback regarding if the 8 Pro is still a good value a year later and worth buying. I know that there are 2 newer OnePlus phones out there, but just trying to get some feedback. Rooting is important to me and I will typically find a ROM and Kernel I like and stick with it. Obviously, the 9 isn't going to have any support for a while. What about the 8T? Is the 8 Pro a better phone than the 8T?

Thanks, in advance.

emirefek

Apr 18, 2017
If you are not anti-samsung. I think you should go for Galaxy S21+. I'm not very happy with my OnePlus 8 Pro, saving some money to upgrade Samsung. They disabled photochrome, they are not keeping their promises about software updates. Screens has too many issues, screens are made by Samsung I know but Samsung's RMA is much better. My father was has Galaxy Note 8 and he had screen burn-in and they replaced it under a hour. We just took a burger and they replaced all around chassic and screen of phone after we came back to Samsung Center, living in Turkey btw I'm not sure they have this quick repair service everywhere.

And OnePlus 9 is just scam for me they are slapping Hasselblad brand to everywhere but Hasselblad isn't designed their camera they just calibrated colors at software level. OnePlus phones are really solid in many ways but they are trying to sell their devices same price with Samsung's. I think the only disadvantage of Samsung is they are cutting software updates too soon and some people does not like OneUI much. Btw If you have questions about 8Pro I can answer them I'm still using it.

Last edited:
Reactions: hadec

azsl1326

Mar 13, 2008
Arizona
OnePlus 8 Pro
OnePlus 8T
If you are not anti-samsung. I think you should go for Galaxy S21+. I'm not very happy with my OnePlus 8 Pro, saving some money to upgrade Samsung. They disabled photochrome, they are not keeping their promises about software updates. Screens has too many issues, screens are made by Samsung I know but Samsung's RMA is much better. My father was has Galaxy Note 8 and he had screen burn-in and they replaced it under a hour. We just took a burger and they replaced all around chassic and screen of phone after we came back to Samsung Center, living in Turkey btw I'm not sure they have this quick repair service everywhere.

And OnePlus 9 is just scam for me they are slapping Hasselblad brand to everywhere but Hasselblad isn't designed their camera they just calibrated colors at software level. OnePlus phones are really solid in many ways but they are trying to sell their devices same price with Samsung's. I think the only disadvantage of Samsung is they are cutting software updates too soon and some people does not like OneUI much. Btw If you have about 8Pro I can answer them I'm still using it.
Thanks for the informative post. Is the S21+ rootable?

emirefek

Apr 18, 2017
Thanks for the informative post. Is the S21+ rootable?
Yes it is but in Samsung root or unlocking bootloader instantly voids your warranty unrecoverable way. Actually after Android 11 hiding root is nearly impossible or you need to do so much work to hide root from banking apps, most of them fails.

Swp1996

Mar 10, 2013
Mumbai

And OnePlus 9 is just scam for me they are slapping Hasselblad brand to everywhere but Hasselblad isn't designed their camera they just calibrated colors at software level. OnePlus phones are really solid in many ways but they are trying to sell their devices same price with Samsung's. I think the only disadvantage of Samsung is they are cutting software updates too soon and some people does not like OneUI much. Btw If you have questions about 8Pro I can answer them I'm still using it.
display issues like ? can you explain little bit.. im thinking to buy 8 Pro because i didnt liked the 9 Series .. and what about heating issue?

jsomby

Dont buy samsung phone unless you can get snapdragon variant. Even then you should go for 8Pro just because it's officially supported on lineageos - which is really nice thing to have if you decide to go that path.

Then again, if you have samsung accessories like watch active 2/3 then staying on samsung's ecosystem will bring you some benefits.

dladz

Aug 24, 2010
Liverpool
Things to note.

If you root the Sammy you will add a 1 to your bootloader counter otherwise known as blowing your efuse chip, you're losing warranty, Samsung will blame anything you have wrong with your phone on this, even if it's completely unrelated, that's a lot of money btw.

With OnePlus it's reversible, Sammy is not.

And let's have it right,, it's a Samsung, there's a lot to dislike, If it's the exynos version, lol you've just bought a turd, it's not even the same phone as the US / south Korean version.

If it were me in your situation i would go with the 9 pro, cameras are superb, the device will make more of the processor / GPU that the Sammy will for sure, dual SIM, probably faster 5G, lighter OS, quicker updates, much better community on XDA, more custom ROMs, better kernels, better screen, faster screen, better audio, better gaming, the list goes on and on.

entropism

Jul 21, 2007
Linden, NJ
OnePlus 7T
Google Pixel 4a 5G
Keep in mind the S21 and S21+ have display issues as well, but it's software based. Samsung calibrated the displays horribly, where Vivid is WAY oversaturated, and Natural is washed out and dull. The Ultra doesn't have the issue, nor does any model of the S20, outside of the S20 FE.

The FE, S21 and S21+ are STILL waiting for fixes, been this way since release for all of them.

I have a spare S21 I'm debating selling to get an 8 Pro, but I'm really hesitant simply based on size and OP's update/software/general issues.

dladz

Aug 24, 2010
Liverpool
Keep in mind the S21 and S21+ have display issues as well, but it's software based. Samsung calibrated the displays horribly, where Vivid is WAY oversaturated, and Natural is washed out and dull. The Ultra doesn't have the issue, nor does any model of the S20, outside of the S20 FE.

The FE, S21 and S21+ are STILL waiting for fixes, been this way since release for all of them.

I have a spare S21 I'm debating selling to get an 8 Pro, but I'm really hesitant simply based on size and OP's update/software/general issues.

The vast majority of people who own an 8 pro do not have issues mate.

Software (updates anyway) has been prompt.

Overheating, screen issues etc, every phone has these issues, 99% of people on each phone won't, but that 1% will definitely be vocal and so would I.

Chances are though you won't get a faulty device..

dladz

Aug 24, 2010
Liverpool
So I can get the 8 Pro for $599 + tax, etc. At this price, Is it a better phone overall than the the 9?

I would never buy a last gen phone when current is available. That being said the jump from 7 to 8 pro was significant, absolutely nothing wrong with the 7 pro at all, but I just feel that the leap to the 9 pro is more of a tweak.

Improvements mostly all around, but development would be lacking compared to the 8 and 8 pro until it gathers speed, knowing the OnePlus community it will pick up. Devs will move on to it.

The choice for me would be obvious but that's me.

CPU and GPU on the 9 are superior, no amount of tweaks will combat that difference.

null0seven

Oct 1, 2013
Iasi
8 Pro is the best from the 8 series. 8T is 6 months newer than 8 pro, but not as good.
9 is one year newer, so you got 1 year plus at the updates. But if you want the best buy 9 pro. Again the best in series.
NO, absolute NO to Samsung ! The best phone at Bloatware !

Reactions: dladz

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Overheating, screen issues etc, every phone has these issues, 99% of people on each phone won't, but that 1% will definitely be vocal and so would I.

8 Pro is the best from the 8 series. 8T is 6 months newer than 8 pro, but not as good.
    9 is one year newer, so you got 1 year plus at the updates. But if you want the best buy 9 pro. Again the best in series.

Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone