Shutoff EVO 3D, won't charge or Turn on without battery pull!!

Search This thread

dfine1966

Feb 25, 2008
What's the AC charger you use? I cannot meet this issue with HTC EVO 3D official AC charger. Maybe you use another brand's Micro USB charger but not HTC EVO 3D official AC charger.

I am using the official charger and cable. I do have the travel charger I bought for the EVO 4G last year. The Manager did say that there was no change to the chargers that the EVO 4G used and EVO 3D.

dfine1966

Feb 25, 2008
One day in, and so far my 3rd EVO 3D is working fine. I haven't had any problems, yet. The only problem is that I can't watch the The Green Hornet, because it won't let me watch unless I do the update, which the Sprint Manager said to hold off on.

Something that has bothered me about this being software related is that it should of effected everyone, especially if it is software related. Doesn't everyone have the same phone with the same hardware? If a software update did this, than most units should have this problem. I am starting to think there was a bad batch of EVO 3D's (just like the EVO 4G had last year) that was released, possibly with a bad power button. It could be some sort of power relay problem in the phone that is shorting it out. Either way, I am still leaning towards a hardware problem as to a software problem. I am going on vacation and would possibly like to watch the movie, especially I have a long 9 hour ride. Do you think I should do the updates or just wait?

Jul 5, 2011
First won't charge / turn on this morning.

After 10 days with the EVO 3D, I also had this problem. And pulling the battery and restarting fixed it. I have Fastboot turned off. Using the Seido wall charger that I used flawlessly with the EVO 4G. I did use the camera last night. I believe it to be unstable in places, and could have contributed to other O/S problems. Swype periodically won't trace.

novanosis85

Jul 9, 2010
Chicago
All updates and no problems. Since premier day.

I feel bad for you guys don't settle for anything less.

I am grateful my phone is trouble free. *knocks on wood*

Jul 5, 2011
TWICE - won't power-on without battery pull in 25 days.

After 10 days with the EVO 3D, I also had this problem. And pulling the battery and restarting fixed it. I have Fastboot turned off. Using the Seido wall charger that I used flawlessly with the EVO 4G. I did use the camera last night. I believe it to be unstable in places, and could have contributed to other O/S problems. Swype periodically won't trace.

Update: July 18th. My phone didn't charge overnight again, and wouldn't turn on...2nd time this has happened. Pulling the battery and reinserting fixed the problem. Just talked to Best Buy rep. They appear to be unaware of this problem, but will replace the phone under the 30 day moneyback guarantee. I can add their $10/month Black Tie warranty for free replacement after the 30 days (this friday). I may bail on the phone and go back to the EVO 4G...it was working flawlessly.

BB did say that Sprint is putting out a Hardware flash update on August 15th to allow more 3D content to run on the phone. (perhaps it will have the rumored boot loader unlock also).

beyond882001

Sep 20, 2007
Lawrence
Update: July 18th. My phone didn't charge overnight again, and wouldn't turn on...2nd time this has happened. Pulling the battery and reinserting fixed the problem. Just talked to Best Buy rep. They appear to be unaware of this problem, but will replace the phone under the 30 day moneyback guarantee. I can add their $10/month Black Tie warranty for free replacement after the 30 days (this friday). I may bail on the phone and go back to the EVO 4G...it was working flawlessly.

BB did say that Sprint is putting out a Hardware flash update on August 15th to allow more 3D content to run on the phone. (perhaps it will have the rumored boot loader unlock also).

First time I heard of this update. Think they gave you a rough date like HTC gave us.... Yea by mid August you will have your Damn bootloaders lol......

Sent from my PG86100 using XDA Premium App

Jul 5, 2011
BestBuy only said the Firmware update was to allow more 3D content providers to work on the phone. Apparently only Sprint's encryption is supported for 3D content. This will allow other providers to put out 3D movies for the EVO.

BobbyWilde

Jun 19, 2010
Honolulu
Woo

Well thanks to you guys I know I'm not crazy. Mine is doing same thing, after turn off just wont turn on until I take out the battery. I wouldn't think it was an update that I did (since I recently did a complete wipe) but perhaps it is. Also, there was one time I woke up to a dead phone and could have swore that I put it on the charger. So I guess that is par with the course as well.

Dang, I just rooted and now I'm feeling I might need to do an exchange. I better go check when my 30 days are up. lol Here is hoping round 2 is better.

ashman2k2

Aug 5, 2011
I've had my Evo3D for about 2 weeks now and have experienced the same issue.
I've contacted my store to have it replaced. Although last night for the first time it did not have the issue after dying..

sn0b0ard - Our problem is when the phone runs out of battery and powers down, the phone does not accept a charge or turn on without removing&installing the battery. It seems like you described a different scenario where the phone randomly restarted, which is not the case here.

CSDeeds

Aug 6, 2011
I've had my Evo 3D for about a week now and have been experiencing similar problems. Four times now I'm gone to click the button to wake the phone up and nothing happens. I've held the button down thinking it shut off for some reason but no luck there either. The only way I can get the thing to come back on is to pull the battery, wait a bit, and then put the battery back in. It will boot up again with no problem.

This seems to happen randomly and for no reason and its driving me nuts! I got the phone on ebay. Does Sprint let you exchange a phone if you didn't get it through them?

I really love this phone, though, definitely a worthy upgrade to my Evo 4G.

burnnhell

Jun 9, 2010
San Francisco
I just got mine 2 days ago and updated right away since it said it had a software update. I immediately started to get the random lock up issues resulting in the need for a battery pull. I just did a full wipe and am going to go without the update to see if it is possibly the cause. I am also in the "bought it on ebay" boat...though it was brand new never opened box I am pretty sure unless you play super dumb (my parents gifted me this and said they bought it at a sprint store) I dont see them giving you the same level of service that you would get had you really bought it at a sprint store.

I am just keeping my fingers crossed that skipping the update works.

pinky059

Oct 8, 2010
Baltimore
Samsung Galaxy S20
Are you guys rooted? I meantioned this as a bug in alpharev initial release of root, but, IEF explained to me that the phone goes into a "non-existent" recovery and is actually still on while charging, while on either AC or USB. Not sure if has been confirmed or not, but, it's pretty much been happening to me since being rooted, whether temp or not.

And yes, fastboot is turned off in settings, I am running the original, OTA updated stock ROM with some MODs I made myself after root.

It's something about how HTC see's there is now a recovery installed after bootloader flash for S-OFF and attempts to load it by itself when plugged into any sort of AC current. Problem is, it's not HTC recovery so it can't get to it. BEFORE ROOT, if you tried recovery, you got the red triangle with nothing on it. NOW after ROOT, it knows there is a recovery, but can't get it to it to load, does nothing but looks like your phone is completely off.

IEF gave me some great detail about it a while ago, like I said, during initial release. Seems to make some sense, cause if you just pull the charger out, wait maybe 10-15 seconds or so, you can boot without even having to do a battery pull.

Hope this explains and helps some people. Once he explained to me, I do exactly what I just said, wait for a few seconds after pulling the plug and press power and it boots fine everytime.....

;)

roar109

Aug 13, 2010
Monterrey
My EVO rogers did the same, but pulling the battery off and back doesn't work just turn the light on for a seconds and nothing happen, but with the cellphone on it charged well.

I can live with this issue meanwhile I didn't completely drain my battery , the problem is I had a extended battery and a stock battery the stock is uncharged and the extended is what i use, but how I can charge the stock one? with another cellphone, a external charger. I tried to pull out the battery, change the charge the cable and nothing seems to work.

Any ideas?

cobraboy85

Aug 25, 2011
went through a similar problem with mine... it would randomly reboot, turn off, bunch of stuff. took it back, got another one, same thing.

replaced my sd card, fixed it immediately. i have experienced the random shutting off as well, seems like it was caused by the battery pins being disconnected randomly (thanks sno for the fix)

to the OP, as far as buying the phone off of ebay, call sprint and get the phone insured. you should be able to even though you bought from ebay. if problems persist, just take it to them and get a new one.

i would also flash xhausx's rpm fix for the motherboard...