[SHV-E160][Root][Kernel]How to Root Korean Note via Tegrak Kernel Setup

Search This thread

jairrab

Oct 3, 2010
Why would I update the kernel of my Korean Note to Tegrak? There are so many kernels out there for Galaxy Note. Why have one specifically for Tegrak?
The primary reason (at least for me) to update to Tegrak Kernel is to be able to root my device. While there are many rooted kernel variants and custom ROM available for International Galaxy Note (N700) and AT&T, there's very few for the Korean note version. In fact, for the english speaking community, it is the only rooted kernel that's well-documented and discussed. In the Korean and Chinese forums there seems to be a handful of custom rooted ROMs, but unless you speak those languages, you would find it almost impossible to register (because of the foreign characters), moreso to download and install the necessary files. Tegrak kernel also appears to be highly popular even for those communities.

For a more technical understanding of the Tegrak kernel, you can find it on it's website (in Korean so you may want to use Google's translate feature) or for an english description, via its Google Playstore kernel app page. Note, as described on the section below entitled "Completing the Rooting Process", you will need to install and configure this app to complete the rooting process.

Are there other means of rooting Korean Galaxy Note aside from updating to Tegrak's kernel?
Yes, you can download a rooted stock binary (Original Samsung firmware, but rooted) and install it. Note that this is a 1.2GB file download. Here's the link on how to do it:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1899200

Are there custom ROMs available for our beloved Korean Note?
There's one I know of that seems to be working well, and it's CM9- Android 4.0.4 (aside from a handful probably that's impossible to download from those Chinese and Korean forums for us english users). A couple of things that has kept me from using it is the lack of support from call recording and inability to connect to infrastructure wireless setup that my company is using. I also like the pen-features built-in with Samsung touchwiz interface. Other than that, it really is very snappy and feels faster than stock. You can find the CM9 rom in this thread:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1969900

Pre-Requisites
  1. Make sure you have Samsung Kies installed so your phone will be recognized during "download mode" (see below)
  2. Download ODIN from the link below and extract it to a folder on your PC
  3. Download the appropriate Tegrak "Recovery" and "Kernel" files that is SPECIFIC to your model
  4. Save the "Kernel" .zip file into the root of your internal storage

Booting into "Download Mode"
  1. Turn off your phone. Connect usb cable to your PC
  2. Hold down the ff buttons: volume down + home + power, you will see a warning sign with korean writing…… press volume up

Installing the Tegrak "Recovery Module" and Booting into it
  1. Run ODIN, you should see a yellow “0:[COM__]” at the left side to continue
  2. Make sure only "Auto Reboot" and "F Partition Time" are checked
  3. Look for a tab that says “PDA” and select the correct "Recovery" .tar file for your model from the links below
  4. Click “Start” and wait for the reboot
  5. Next is turn off the device again, once the device is fully turned off… hold the following buttons: volume up + volume down
  6. While holding down the volume buttons, turn on the device by pressing the power button
  7. You should be in Tegrak’s recovery mode by now, you will be in a black screen with writings saying “Tegrak Kernel Build __″ highlighted yellow at the top of the screen
  8. Congratulations, you have installed Teg
    rak Recovery

Installing the Rooted "Tegrak Kernel"
  1. On the Tegrak Recovery Menu, navigate using the volume buttons and select by pressing the home buttons
  2. Select "install zip from sdcard" under UPDATE
  3. Search for the "Kernel" .zip file you saved into your internal storage and select that with the power button to install
  4. Select "Exit" then "Exit stock recovery" to exit the recovery module
  5. You will go back to system recovery. Click "reboot system now" to boot back to android
  6. If you succesfully boot back to Android- Congratulations, you have installed T
    egrak Kernel

Completing the Rooting Process
  1. Go to Google Play store to install "Tegrak Kernel" and "Superuser" in case you haven't had any of this installed yet
  2. Search and install “Tegrak Kernel”. Run it and click "Enable Rooting"
  3. If you got a succesful rooting confirmation- Congratulations, you have succesfully rooted your device
  4. Search and install “Superuser”. You will need this to facilitate giving root access to your apps
  5. You can also choose to install "Tegrak Overclock" to overclock your CPU. You may want to make sure you are familiar with overclocking and risk associated with it before proceeding

Congratulations- your done. Enjoy debloating and optimizing your phone!
Download Links

IMPORTANT: Make sure the kernel and recovery matches the firmware version listed
Go to "System Settings" --> "About phone" to know your firmware version
I'll try to update this post if new firmware and accompanying kernel/recovery are made available

ODIN
Link- Download and Extract to a folder on your PC

SHV-E160S
Recovery: FA09, UH24
Kernel: FA09, UH24

SHV-E160K
Recovery: FA09, UI24, UK09
Kernel: FA09, UI24, UK09

SHV-E160L

Credits:

Last edited:

senoctar

Oct 10, 2009
Thanks, and FA09 Links

Thanks for the tutorial. Worked like a charm. Finally I can set a lower DPI (with ROM Toolbox).
The liks for the previous kernel/recovery (FA09) can be found here:
rootgalaxynote .com /galaxy-note-root/how-to-root-korean-version-galaxy-note-lteshv-e160s-shv-e160kshv-e160l/

dycz21

Oct 20, 2012
Hi Guys. I will try to root my Korean phone today(e160k). I'm still a root virgin so please help me:

1.) The download links posted by jairrab includes 2 files each (FA09 & UI24). I checked my phone's build number and the last part says .UI24. Does this mean that I will only download the UI24 and ignore the FA09?
2.) Do I need to install Kies on my netbook? I will use a slow windows net book to root. ODIN will not work on my macbook pro.
3.) How do I find the root of my internal storage?
4.) Should I save the Kernel in its zip form or should I unzip it?
5.) Should I enable or disable USB debugging when rooting?
6.) Currently,I can use 4G on my korean note? Is it possible to get LTE signal from this phone (since its an LTE phone) after rooting?
7.) Recommended apps to speed up my phone after rooting? do you know any app that can read external HD tested on korean note?

Sorry for the dumb root questions and for my english.

Thanks.

---------- Post added at 04:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:45 PM ----------

can i use Heimdall instead of ODIN for this?

jairrab

Oct 3, 2010
Hi Guys. I will try to root my Korean phone today(e160k). I'm still a root virgin so please help me:

1.) The download links posted by jairrab includes 2 files each (FA09 & UI24). I checked my phone's build number and the last part says .UI24. Does this mean that I will only download the UI24 and ignore the FA09?
2.) Do I need to install Kies on my netbook? I will use a slow windows net book to root. ODIN will not work on my macbook pro.
3.) How do I find the root of my internal storage?
4.) Should I save the Kernel in its zip form or should I unzip it?
5.) Should I enable or disable USB debugging when rooting?
6.) Currently,I can use 4G on my korean note? Is it possible to get LTE signal from this phone (since its an LTE phone) after rooting?
7.) Recommended apps to speed up my phone after rooting? do you know any app that can read external HD tested on korean note?

Sorry for the dumb root questions and for my english.

Thanks.

---------- Post added at 04:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:45 PM ----------

can i use Heimdall instead of ODIN for this?

1.) The download links posted by jairrab includes 2 files each (FA09 & UI24). I checked my phone's build number and the last part says .UI24. Does this mean that I will only download the UI24 and ignore the FA09? YES
2.) Do I need to install Kies on my netbook? I will use a slow windows net book to root. ODIN will not work on my macbook pro. Kies is mainly intended to install the necessary drivers so that your phone gets detected by ODIN. If your phone works with ODIN even without Kies, then no need to install it. You will need Kies though when you need to update to a new firmware from Samsung
3.) How do I find the root of my internal storage? use Root Explorer
4.) Should I save the Kernel in its zip form or should I unzip it? No need to unzip
5.) Should I enable or disable USB debugging when rooting? not necessary, but suggest you enable USB debugging, especially when you use ADB
7.) Recommended apps to speed up my phone after rooting? do you know any app that can read external HD tested on korean note? Titanium backup to remove bloatware. You can also install Tegrak overclock app.

dycz21

Oct 20, 2012
1.) The download links posted by jairrab includes 2 files each (FA09 & UI24). I checked my phone's build number and the last part says .UI24. Does this mean that I will only download the UI24 and ignore the FA09? YES
2.) Do I need to install Kies on my netbook? I will use a slow windows net book to root. ODIN will not work on my macbook pro. Kies is mainly intended to install the necessary drivers so that your phone gets detected by ODIN. If your phone works with ODIN even without Kies, then no need to install it. You will need Kies though when you need to update to a new firmware from Samsung
3.) How do I find the root of my internal storage? use Root Explorer
4.) Should I save the Kernel in its zip form or should I unzip it? No need to unzip
5.) Should I enable or disable USB debugging when rooting? not necessary, but suggest you enable USB debugging, especially when you use ADB
7.) Recommended apps to speed up my phone after rooting? do you know any app that can read external HD tested on korean note? Titanium backup to remove bloatware. You can also install Tegrak overclock app.

Hi Jai.

Actually before I read your answer I have already rooted my phone using your guide... I was planning to video it but I was so focused with your instructions so I forgot.

Regarding the Tegrak overclock. What is your recommended settings? I'll download Titanium now.

dycz21

Oct 20, 2012
Ok. Already found the Secret Menu for my phone.

for SHV-e160K: Dial-in secret menu: 319712358
Secret Code (KT Admin): 774632

Really nice.... before I seldom get 3G connection... But now .... 4G :DDDDD inside my house!!

Still need the best setting for Tegrak Overclock Ultimate to make my phone faster and less laggy. anyone?

Reactions: Cybernerd

dycz21

Oct 20, 2012
Hi Guys,

I want to do a nandroid back-up. However, it seems that korean galaxy note is not supported by CWM recovery. Any recommendations? Can i use the CWM recovery of AT&T galaxy note to do the nandroid back-up? thanks.

Cybernerd

Nov 3, 2012
Please forgive me for asking this noobish question. But...

Pre-Requisites
1.Make sure you have Samsung Kies installed so your phone will be recognized during recovery mode
2.Download ODIN from the link below and extract it to a folder on your PC
3.Download the appropriate Tegrak "Recovery" and "Kernel" files that is SPECIFIC to your model
4.Save the "Kernel" .zip file into the root of your internal storage (How do you exactly save something into the root of the internal storage without root access in the first place?)

1.Turn off your phone. Connect usb cable to your PC
2.Hold down the ff buttons: volume down + home + power, you will see a warning sign with korean writing…… press volume up

1.Run ODIN, you should see a yellow “0:[COM__]” at the left side to continue
2.Make sure only "Auto Reboot" and "F Partition Time" are checked
3.Look for a tab that says “PDA” and select the correct "Recovery" .tar file for your model from the links below
4.Click “Start” and wait for the reboot (HELP: ODIN says FAIL!) - I am stuck here.
(
<ID:0/004> Added!!
<ID:0/004> Odin v.3 engine (ID:4)..
<ID:0/004> File analysis..
<ID:0/004> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/004> Can't open the serial(COM) port.
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 1)
)
5.Next is turn off the device again, once the device is fully turned off… hold the following buttons: volume up + volume down
6.While holding down the volume buttons, turn on the device by pressing the power button
7.You should be in Tegrak’s recovery mode by now, you will be in a black screen with writings saying “Tegrak Kernel Build __″ highlighted yellow at the top of the screen
8.Congratulations, you have installed Tegrak Recovery

Last edited:

jairrab

Oct 3, 2010
Please forgive me for asking this noobish question. But...

Pre-Requisites
1.Make sure you have Samsung Kies installed so your phone will be recognized during recovery mode
2.Download ODIN from the link below and extract it to a folder on your PC
3.Download the appropriate Tegrak "Recovery" and "Kernel" files that is SPECIFIC to your model
4.Save the "Kernel" .zip file into the root of your internal storage (How do you exactly save something into the root of the internal storage without root access in the first place?)

Don't think you need root access for that. That's root of internal storage (sdcard), not system storage. In fact you can place it anywhere in your internal or external storage, you just need to know where it is so you can locate it.

Sent from my SHV-E160K using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: Cybernerd

Cybernerd

Nov 3, 2012
Perfect! Now I am root! :good:
PS. I only had to reinstall and update KIES to the latest version and everything went smoothly sailing.

Btw, if an update comes via OTA/KIES would I still be able to update my note and retain root? Or do I need to revert it back to non-root? If so, what are the necessary steps to do this? Thanks!

Last edited:

punareay_suon

Sep 26, 2010
unable to flash recovery

Hello guys,

I try to follow the instruction from the first post but I got a serious problem with Odine:

Code:
<ID:0/019> Odin v.3 engine (ID:19)..
<ID:0/019> File analysis..
<ID:0/019> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/019> Initialzation..
<ID:0/019> Get PIT for mapping..
<ID:0/019> Firmware update start..
<ID:0/019> recovery.img
<ID:0/019> Complete(Write) operation failed.

I also to try to flash official firmware back but it still show the same message from Odin (even I try Odin 3.04). I think I miss pit file. Anyone has any idea about that?

attachment.php

jairrab

Oct 3, 2010
Hi Guys, is there an SMS fix for the SHV-E160L that only has 80 Characters?

I tried installing hancent sms and go sms still i cannot send more than 80 characters it all failed

I tried to follow instructions in this thread : http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1775015 but now i cannot send sms.

Please let us know if what would be the fix for the sms.

Thanks!

I think there's a problem when sending sms between 80 to 160 characters. If it exceeds 160 should be okay.

jairrab

Oct 3, 2010
Hello guys,

I try to follow the instruction from the first post but I got a serious problem with Odine:

Code:
<ID:0/019> Odin v.3 engine (ID:19)..
<ID:0/019> File analysis..
<ID:0/019> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/019> Initialzation..
<ID:0/019> Get PIT for mapping..
<ID:0/019> Firmware update start..
<ID:0/019> recovery.img
<ID:0/019> Complete(Write) operation failed.

I also to try to flash official firmware back but it still show the same message from Odin (even I try Odin 3.04). I think I miss pit file. Anyone has any idea about that?

attachment.php

Follow the procedure. You flash the kernel via booting to recovery menu, not via ODIN

Cybernerd

Nov 3, 2012
Hi guys! I hope everyone's doing fine.
An update is avaliable via OTA today for people using Ul24. Not really sure what I should do about it now. Anyone has any light on the matter?

Sent from my SHV-E160K using xda app-developers app

bogdan89

Mar 18, 2012
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Hi guys. I am truly sorry for highjacking this post, but I am a bit desperate with my problem regarding this phone.

I recently purchased it, but I can't use any sms app from the market (like chomp, go sms etc), I can only use the stock one (Any other app doesnt send/receive and sms messages)

Also, in the notification area, I do not see "Vodafone" as my carrier, but a number 22601. Any ideas? The sms is a big problem for me, because i need some functions not available on stock messaging app :(

jairrab

Oct 3, 2010
Hi guys. I am truly sorry for highjacking this post, but I am a bit desperate with my problem regarding this phone.

I recently purchased it, but I can't use any sms app from the market (like chomp, go sms etc), I can only use the stock one (Any other app doesnt send/receive and sms messages)

Also, in the notification area, I do not see "Vodafone" as my carrier, but a number 22601. Any ideas? The sms is a big problem for me, because i need some functions not available on stock messaging app :(

One thing I know is that non stock SMS seems to fail when length is greater than 90 but lower than 160 (or 145). But you said you can't also receive SMS from non-stock, that's unusual.

You may want to try installing CM9, sms works without character limitation even for stock app.

Cybernerd

Nov 3, 2012
Wondering whether anyone has tried doing the OTA update and keeping root by using the "temp unroot" and/or "OTA survival" options in Superuser? If so, was it successful, and would you mind giving a quick rundown of the steps?

Thanks!

Sent from my SHV-E160K using xda app-developers app

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1353043412934.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1353043412934.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 396

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Why would I update the kernel of my Korean Note to Tegrak? There are so many kernels out there for Galaxy Note. Why have one specifically for Tegrak?
    The primary reason (at least for me) to update to Tegrak Kernel is to be able to root my device. While there are many rooted kernel variants and custom ROM available for International Galaxy Note (N700) and AT&T, there's very few for the Korean note version. In fact, for the english speaking community, it is the only rooted kernel that's well-documented and discussed. In the Korean and Chinese forums there seems to be a handful of custom rooted ROMs, but unless you speak those languages, you would find it almost impossible to register (because of the foreign characters), moreso to download and install the necessary files. Tegrak kernel also appears to be highly popular even for those communities.

For a more technical understanding of the Tegrak kernel, you can find it on it's website (in Korean so you may want to use Google's translate feature) or for an english description, via its Google Playstore kernel app page. Note, as described on the section below entitled "Completing the Rooting Process", you will need to install and configure this app to complete the rooting process.

Are there other means of rooting Korean Galaxy Note aside from updating to Tegrak's kernel?
    Yes, you can download a rooted stock binary (Original Samsung firmware, but rooted) and install it. Note that this is a 1.2GB file download. Here's the link on how to do it:
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1899200

Are there custom ROMs available for our beloved Korean Note?
    There's one I know of that seems to be working well, and it's CM9- Android 4.0.4 (aside from a handful probably that's impossible to download from those Chinese and Korean forums for us english users). A couple of things that has kept me from using it is the lack of support from call recording and inability to connect to infrastructure wireless setup that my company is using. I also like the pen-features built-in with Samsung touchwiz interface. Other than that, it really is very snappy and feels faster than stock. You can find the CM9 rom in this thread:

Pre-Requisites
    1. Make sure you have Samsung Kies installed so your phone will be recognized during "download mode" (see below)
    2. Download ODIN from the link below and extract it to a folder on your PC
    3. Download the appropriate Tegrak "Recovery" and "Kernel" files that is SPECIFIC to your model
    4. Save the "Kernel" .zip file into the root of your internal storage

1. Turn off your phone. Connect usb cable to your PC
    2. Hold down the ff buttons: volume down + home + power, you will see a warning sign with korean writing…… press volume up

1. Run ODIN, you should see a yellow “0:[COM__]” at the left side to continue
    2. Make sure only "Auto Reboot" and "F Partition Time" are checked
    3. Look for a tab that says “PDA” and select the correct "Recovery" .tar file for your model from the links below
    4. Click “Start” and wait for the reboot
    5. Next is turn off the device again, once the device is fully turned off… hold the following buttons: volume up + volume down
    6. While holding down the volume buttons, turn on the device by pressing the power button
    7. You should be in Tegrak’s recovery mode by now, you will be in a black screen with writings saying “Tegrak Kernel Build __″ highlighted yellow at the top of the screen
    8. Congratulations, you have installed Teg
      rak Recovery

Installing the Rooted "Tegrak Kernel"
    1. On the Tegrak Recovery Menu, navigate using the volume buttons and select by pressing the home buttons
    2. Select "install zip from sdcard" under UPDATE
    3. Search for the "Kernel" .zip file you saved into your internal storage and select that with the power button to install
    4. Select "Exit" then "Exit stock recovery" to exit the recovery module
    5. You will go back to system recovery. Click "reboot system now" to boot back to android
    6. If you succesfully boot back to Android- Congratulations, you have installed T
      egrak Kernel

Completing the Rooting Process
    1. Go to Google Play store to install "Tegrak Kernel" and "Superuser" in case you haven't had any of this installed yet
    2. Search and install “Tegrak Kernel”. Run it and click "Enable Rooting"
    3. If you got a succesful rooting confirmation- Congratulations, you have succesfully rooted your device
    4. Search and install “Superuser”. You will need this to facilitate giving root access to your apps
    5. You can also choose to install "Tegrak Overclock" to overclock your CPU. You may want to make sure you are familiar with overclocking and risk associated with it before proceeding

Congratulations- your done. Enjoy debloating and optimizing your phone!
    Download Links

IMPORTANT: Make sure the kernel and recovery matches the firmware version listed
    Go to "System Settings" --> "About phone" to know your firmware version
    I'll try to update this post if new firmware and accompanying kernel/recovery are made available

ODIN
    Link- Download and Extract to a folder on your PC

SHV-E160S

SHV-E160K
    Recovery: FA09, UI24, UK09
    Kernel: FA09, UI24, UK09

SHV-E160L

Credits:
    ROOT E160S Updated to ME3

ROOT E160S Updated to ME3

(JZO54K.E160SKSJME3)

Help, guys, how can i root this

Model #:
    SHV-E160S

Android Version:

Baseband Version:
    E160SKSKLL7

Kervel version
    3.0.31-1034927
    [email protected] #1
    SMP PREEMPT Fri May 1712:37:07

Build #
    JZO54K.E160SKSJME3

thanks

Found it!

Here you go,
    0) Download CWM Recovery (v6.0.1) cwm.tar here (* should be replaced)
    drop box.* om/s/cyitd4ce3jq0zb4/ cwm.tar

1) Install CWM using ODIN ( Simple. isn't it? )
    2) Download "UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.25.zip" from
    download. chainfire. eu/315/

3) Place "UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.25.zip" in phone memory, (Internal or SD )
    4) Boot in to "CWM recovery mode"
    5) By using "install zip from sdcard-> choose zip from sdcard" install "UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.25.zip"
    6) reboot

Congratulations,
    You are done,

* install process for cwm using ODIN is same as installing Installing the Tegrak in first post.
    * you can find how to boot in to CWM in first post
    * UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.25.zip and cwm.tar attached
    Just FYI for all of the Korean note users:
    See the super thread located in the general section...
    I've given you a quasi-section for all of your related threads...

Likely you already know this, but with the lack of a full section for your devices, I decided you needed a place to call home, even if it resides within a thread.
    There you will find all combined threads applicable to your devices...

And please PM me if you have further additions that need to be made......g

Edit: this thread has also been added as of today....g
    Good job Jairrab. Very clear instructions and easy-to-follow. Can you also add up all the links of the previous recovery and kernels on each models so it will be much easier just in case someone needs it. Thanks.
    Thanks for the info. Is there any other links for the stock? Link above is not working. Thanks

google is your friend... try http://samsung-updates.com/device/?id=SHV-E160S or http://pspmaster.tistory.com/179
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone