Signal levels on AOSP ROMs vs Stock?

Search This thread

Cpudan80

Nov 9, 2012
Hey,

Sorry if this has been asked/answered before -- search is currently unavailable. Anyway, I notice that in CM 10.1 my phone's signal on Verizon is displayed with only 1 bar, and sometimes none (-110 dbm is the actual value). On stock I would get 1-2 bars in the same location, unfortunately I don't have the actual signal level from the stock ROM. Everything is working, but it seems the signal is lower on CM, has anyone else noticed this?

I've looked around on the forums at other devices and the general consensus seems to be that the stock roms are padded to make it appear as if you have more signal, so I don't think it's a problem -- just wondering what others have observed.

Thoughts/suggestions?

-- Dan

Not_A_Dev

Sep 5, 2012
Chitown
Hey,

Sorry if this has been asked/answered before -- search is currently unavailable. Anyway, I notice that in CM 10.1 my phone's signal on Verizon is displayed with only 1 bar, and sometimes none (-110 dbm is the actual value). On stock I would get 1-2 bars in the same location, unfortunately I don't have the actual signal level from the stock ROM. Everything is working, but it seems the signal is lower on CM, has anyone else noticed this?

I've looked around on the forums at other devices and the general consensus seems to be that the stock roms are padded to make it appear as if you have more signal, so I don't think it's a problem -- just wondering what others have observed.

Thoughts/suggestions?

-- Dan
Yep, noticed the same thing on my XT926. I run the Eclipse AOSP Rom for Android 4.2.2 and I'm lucky to see signals between -70 dbm and -99 dbm. Most of the time it's negative triple digits.

tomas4512

Oct 12, 2013
Albuquerque
Same

I'm seeing the same thing, I'm running the Avatar ROM (CM10.1) and mine keeps switching between 0 and like -104 dBm, but call quality seems perfectly fine. Not sure if you tried this, but go to the "Testing" phone info menu, enter *#*#4636#*#* in the dialer and click on phone info. That gives you a more real-time signal strength. Just because I'm curious, I might load up my stock image tomorrow and see what what that does to it...

Cpudan80

Nov 9, 2012
I'm seeing the same thing, I'm running the Avatar ROM (CM10.1) and mine keeps switching between 0 and like -104 dBm, but call quality seems perfectly fine. Not sure if you tried this, but go to the "Testing" phone info menu, enter *#*#4636#*#* in the dialer and click on phone info. That gives you a more real-time signal strength. Just because I'm curious, I might load up my stock image tomorrow and see what what that does to it...

Yeah I did do the 4636 thing to get some #s. As you state, data/phone connectivity seems to be unaffected even though the singal bar is low (or even empty!). I wonder if there is a patch that we can get for CM to "fake" a higher signal? The low meter doesnt bother me -- but some non techy person might be quite perplexed