• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Question Silent indicator?

Search This thread

foobar66

Jan 8, 2011
Brussels
Google Pixel 6 Pro
When I plug in my phone on USB, since this morning, I'm getting a 'Silent' indication when I pull down the quick settings.
See screenshot.
Any idea why this is there and what it means?
It's not that my sound is on silent, I can receive a call and hear the ringtone.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211127-081157_2.png
    Screenshot_20211127-081157_2.png
    68.2 KB · Views: 43

cd993

May 8, 2009
London
When I plug in my phone on USB, since this morning, I'm getting a 'Silent' indication when I pull down the quick settings.
See screenshot.
It's not that my sound is on silent, I can receive a call and hear the ringtone.

This is normal. Its a silent notification in the sense that you'll be notified by that notification visually only, but it won't make any noise or vibrate, like a text message for example, which would be located above that one

Reactions: roirraW "edor" ehT

roirraW "edor" ehT

Forum Moderator
Staff member
You can potentially change notifications that aren't silent to silent, or silent to not silent by long-pressing any notification, and then click Default or Silent, as appropriate, or you can click the gear icon after long-pressing for even more options. I choose to minimize almost all of my mostly always-running silent notifications. There are a few apps I make silent just so they don't show a status bar icon.

Reactions: foobar66

foobar66

Jan 8, 2011
Brussels
Google Pixel 6 Pro
It's silently notifying you that it is charging the device via USB.
Thanks ... but I'm pretty (99%) sure that it was not like that yesterday. The
You can potentially change notifications that aren't silent to silent, or silent to not silent by long-pressing any notification, and then click Default or Silent, as appropriate, or you can click the gear icon after long-pressing for even more options. I choose to minimize almost all of my mostly always-running silent notifications. There are a few apps I make silent just so they don't show a status bar icon.
Thanks, I managed to change it to a 'normal' notification.

The weird thing is that I still have 2 icons now in the statusbar (when USB plugged in), one for USB debugging and one for USB charging (see screenshit). Is that normal that there are 2 icons? Maybe they were there and I just did not notice that.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211127-165459_2.png
    Screenshot_20211127-165459_2.png
    102.5 KB · Views: 27
Reactions: roirraW "edor" ehT

roirraW "edor" ehT

Forum Moderator
Staff member

The weird thing is that I still have 2 icons now in the statusbar (when USB plugged in), one for USB debugging and one for USB charging (see screenshit). Is that normal that there are 2 icons? Maybe they were there and I just did not notice that.

You're welcome! It is normal as the USB plugged in one defaults to Silent, and since you changed it to Default, that also forces it to show an icon for it. Silent things don't show an icon. USB Debugging is separate, so unless you make that one silent (I do), it's normal for it to show a separate icon.

Reactions: foobar66

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    See screenshot.

This is normal. Its a silent notification in the sense that you'll be notified by that notification visually only, but it won't make any noise or vibrate, like a text message for example, which would be located above that one
    Thanks ... but I'm pretty (99%) sure that it was not like that yesterday. The

You're welcome! It is normal as the USB plugged in one defaults to Silent, and since you changed it to Default, that also forces it to show an icon for it. Silent things don't show an icon. USB Debugging is separate, so unless you make that one silent (I do), it's normal for it to show a separate icon.