Sim toolkit issue with HTC One X+

Search This thread

mrlawi

Oct 6, 2013
I have a problem with the STK App in my HTC One X+.

Here is the thing:
I use Safaricom MSP (Kenya) and their STK comes with 2 main menus:
Safaricom+ for network services and M-PESA - for mobile money transfer.

After a phone restart, if I click on the stk app the first time, I can access the 2 main menus and drill down to the submenus; basically carry out the transaction to the end.
The problem comes if I want to carry out another transaction from either of the 2 menus (Safaricom+ or M-PESA)

When I click on the Stk app, it opens normally and displays the 2 main menus.
That is as far as it goes. If I click on any of the menus, nothing happens. The radial process indicator just turns for like 3 cycles but the app does not open the submenus.
The workaround is to restart the phone (works 100% of the time) or turn the flight mode on, then off (works sometimes).
- I have tested my sim card on other phones with no issue. So, not a sim card issue
- I have tested different sim cards (including different MSP) and they all have the same issue. You can't perform respective STK transactions more than once in one session.
- Another HTC One X+ and an HTC One X exhibits the exact same problem.

Originally I thought it was an issue with HTC software. And I contacted them and they politely told me it's not their freaking problem. To them, STK is a third party app.
So I installed CM11 by following the instructions in cyanogenmod Enrc2b_Info (sorry, not allowed to post external link)

Still same issue :(

Why is this important:
Mobile based payments are a big thing here. I find myself restarting my phone sometimes up to 5 times a day. A typical transaction will involve 2 STK transactions: a) Withdraw from bank, b) Send to payee. I have to restart the phone after a) to proceed to b).