[SKINS] Skinning Kinoma Play !!

Search This thread

l3it3r

Jul 31, 2007
Washington DC
IMPORTANT!! IF YOU DO AN OFFICIAL UPDATE TO KINOMA, CHANGE THE SKIN TO A DEFAULT SKIN FIRST!!! (aka, Blueberry or Wasabi etc..)

NOTE: NONE OF THESE WORK SINCE KINOMA HAS CHANGED THE SKIN PROCESS SEE POST #2 FOR WORKING SKINS!!
Check Post 9 to see my B&W theme
Check Post 16 to see the Final version of my B&W theme
Check Post 28 to see the Final Version of my 'Terminal' Theme
Check Post 35 to see Final version of my 'White Theme'

**WORKING ON COMPLETE RE-SKIN NOW**

Attachments

• HomeScreen.jpg
    HomeScreen.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 824
  • Volume.jpg
    Volume.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 590
  • Home.jpg
    Home.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 490
  • Playing.jpg
    Playing.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 398
  • menu.jpg
    menu.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 286
Last edited:

l3it3r

Jul 31, 2007
Washington DC
SKINS!!

Currently The skins pack includes the default Kinoma Skins, a 'hidden' kinoma skin called "Rice" which is an all-white skin, and one that I am currently working on "L3it3R - Dark" which has a black background on the main screen, a new volume slider, and will eventually have many new graphics throughout the application.

Next up will be layout mods. :)

FOLLOW THE FOLLOWING INSTRUCTIONS EXACTLY AND IT SHOULD WORK.

How to install Skin: (this will change when more are added - for now just follow this)

Connect phone to computer.

Browse to the /Program Files/Kinoma/Bin/ folder

Copy kinoma.zip to your desktop

RENAME THE kinoma.zip THAT REMAINS ON YOUR PHONE "Originalkinoma.zip" for safekeeping!!!
Create a copy of the kinoma.zip file on your desktop as well and rename that "ArchiveKinoma.zip" for further safekeeping.

OPEN KINOMA.ZIP with WinRAR (Open, do not extract!)

Download my Skin file from here

OPEN MY SKIN FILE WITH WINRAR (Open, do not extract!) and position the two WinRAR windows so you can see both

In my Skin file is a single folder. Drag that single folder from its window to the kinoma.zip window (IN WHITE SPACE, DO NOT 'SELECT' A FOLDER TO DROP IT IN) and then click OK on the dialog that pops up.

Close both WinRAR windows and then copy kinoma.zip back to your phone.

Run.

If you have any issues, just delete the kinoma.zip file and rename the "Originalkinoma.zip" to kinoma.zip

Attachments

• L3it3RDark_and_KinomaRice.zip
    70.1 KB · Views: 188
Last edited:

l3it3r

Jul 31, 2007
Washington DC
HACKS

THIS HACK NO LONGER WORKS

Hack 1: "Cover Flow" :cool:

(Always use WinRAR when working with the kinoma.zip file)
goto /program files/kinoma/bin (or /storage card/program files/bin - which ever it's installed to)

Copy Kinoma.zip to your desktop
make a copy for safekeeping
delete Kinoma.zip from the phone
extract to your desktop under /kinoma
edit /kinoma/kp5/scripts/kp5Main.xml in Visual Studio (or what ever you are comfortable using - just don't change the formatting)
Search and 'uncomment' the following:

<!--
<viewer href="viewers/albumViewer.xml">
<type name="application/x-cache-albums"/>
</viewer>
<viewer href="viewers/songViewer.xml">
<type name="application/x-cache-songs"/>
</viewer>
-->

(Delete the first line "<!--" and the last line "-->")
Add this to the kinoma.zip in the same directory /kp5/scripts/ (just open the .zip in winrar, navigate to the folder and drag and drop the newly edited file there)
transfer that back to your phone (overwrite the existing if you didn't delete it)

Last edited:

crissg

Sep 21, 2007
Jackson, MS
Looks great!

I'll be keeping an eye on this. I use KP several times a day, and am not really fond of the stock theme choices. Good luck with it!

l3it3r

Jul 31, 2007
Washington DC
Same here. I sent Kinoma a message that I've been getting into this. From my tinkering, it looks like they are getting ready to release some cool features, least of which is what seems to be the ability to change the background image - But I couldn't wait!!

Still playing with the colors and what not. There's actually a LOT that you can do to customize the look.

l3it3r

Jul 31, 2007
Washington DC
Seriously!! I can't wait to see what this can yield. A quick glance at some of these config files shows that there's A LOT of customization options!

Writing up the 'rough draft' of the how to now.

l3it3r

Jul 31, 2007
Washington DC
I'm going to attach the 'rough' B&W Theme to the Second Post in a few minutes. It's a pretty straightfoward process to install it.

l3it3r

Jul 31, 2007
Washington DC
We're going to have to come up with a better way to add skins down the road as you have to 'hard code' them into the kp5SkinsEN.xml file.

l3it3r

Jul 31, 2007
Washington DC
I'm going to clean up this thread a bit and get the how-to up ASAP. There are a lot of files to edit, and I still haven't gotten into the 'nitty gritty' ... there's A LOT of possibilities!

l3it3r

Jul 31, 2007
Washington DC
Cleaned up my B&W Skin a little. Removed the 'dash' lines from the original skin, added a few touches here and there.

The Music and Internet Streaming shortcut icons are NOT green in the download. I can make that change though.

Attachments

• HomeScreen.jpg
    HomeScreen.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 52
  • Menu.jpg
    Menu.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 36
  • Submenu.jpg
    Submenu.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 40
  • Volume.jpg
    Volume.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 60

l3it3r

Jul 31, 2007
Washington DC
So, anyone install the theme yet? I see about 6 downloads so far.

This site needs a system like vbulletin.org has for tracking downloads and installs.

Joeball88

Apr 19, 2007
Toronto
www.joeball.ca
I'll be creating a theme for Kinoma play within the next week-ish (as I'm going camping in Ottawa tomorrow) It'll be for VGA - an Aqua-Blue theme - to go with a Manila theme I'm working on. Thanks for the inspiration!!

BTW, is your theme for VGA or QVGA? I was going to test 'er out.

l3it3r

Jul 31, 2007
Washington DC
The theme is independant of resolution actually ;)

I'll post up more detailed information about the different files and etc later tonight and over the next few days.