Sky go app for Fire TV "hdmi not supported"?

Search This thread

dreamville

Mar 4, 2013
Hi I am currently using a gen 2 fire TV and recently signed up to sky. I sideloaded the sky go app using the app from my note 4 and anytime I try to play something on my fire tv I get the HDMI not supported error. I saw the list of working apps thread and it said sky go does work but I always keep getting this error. Any way to solve this?? Maybe a previous version of the app can be uploaded? Any help would be great!

mirayge

Jun 29, 2015
Decatur
Most mobile apps from cable or satellite providers don't allow you to view over a wired connection. So, the first thing to try is disconnecting your Ethernet cable to the router and use WiFi only. The app should then recognize your Fire TV as a mobile device.

dreamville

Mar 4, 2013
Most mobile apps from cable or satellite providers don't allow you to view over a wired connection. So, the first thing to try is disconnecting your Ethernet cable to the router and use WiFi only. The app should then recognize your Fire TV as a mobile device.
My fire tv is connected through wifi :confused:

callanish

Mar 5, 2015
I've got 2 fire tv gen 1 models running the latest sky go app ( ver 5.0.4.9) downloaded from aptoide and both Fire TV's are connected by ethernet. Everything on sky go runs fine....except for sky news. That's where I get the HDMI not supported error as well, but as far as sky sports or sky movies or anything else on sky go, everything plays fine. I'm running the app with a wireless touchpad / keyboard ( logitech ) connected using a usb dongle.

http://gavin-blake.store.aptoide.com/app/market/com.bskyb.skygo/50400000/18293366/Sky+Go

Last edited:

mollygeorge66

Jul 11, 2016
I've got 2 fire tv gen 1 models running the latest sky go app ( ver 5.0.4.9) downloaded from aptoide and both Fire TV's are connected by ethernet. Everything on sky go runs fine....except for sky news. That's where I get the HDMI not supported error as well, but as far as sky sports or sky movies or anything else on sky go, everything plays fine. I'm running the app with a wireless touchpad / keyboard ( logitech ) connected using a usb dongle.

can you post a link to the apk you have working please callanish as im having that hdmi not supported message on my amazon 4k fire tv yet my first generation fire tv has the same sky go version and its working

callanish

Mar 5, 2015
Guys, just install Aptoide It's not a questionable website. It's an alternative to the Google app store and works well with the fire tv. Been using it for years.

Last edited:

mollygeorge66

Jul 11, 2016
Thanks Callanish I've tried a few versions but none work I've even transferred the app from my first generation fire tv using es file explorer to my 4k fire tv and i still get the Hdmi not supported message I'll try this later

callanish

Mar 5, 2015
Thanks Callanish I've tried a few versions but none work I've even transferred the app from my first generation fire tv using es file explorer to my 4k fire tv and i still get the Hdmi not supported message I'll try this later

Just guessing, but I wonder if it's an HDMI HDCP issue you're coming across due to the copyright protection handshake between the fire tv and your tv. I've got two fire TV 1st gen's running on two Sony TV's and 1 fire stick running on a Vizio bedroom tv and need to use a bluetooth keyboard / touchpad with the stick and usb wireless keyboard / touchpad for the Fire TV's in order to make skygo function properly since there's no official Fire TV version, but my only HDMI 'not supported' issue I consistently get with Skygo on the Fire TV boxes and stick is when trying to access Sky news. Every movie, sports, other channels available on Skygo work fine.....except for sky news, and like you, I get that HDMI not supported message when I try to stream it. Also using a proxy to make it all work, but I'm not experiencing a channel wide HDMI 'not supported message' in the app like you're coming across. 5.1.0.47 is the latest app version of Skygo. Hopefully it works for you or you figure out where the problem might be.

mollygeorge66

Jul 11, 2016
Tried this version Callanish same message hdmi not supported can't figure out what the hell the problem is I'm baffled how the hell is it working on my original fire tv set up exactly the same way but won't work on the 4k fire tv I'm totally stumped

mollygeorge66

Jul 11, 2016
I'm having to send it back now as i got a system update today and following the update i couldn't connect a bluetooth mouse the powerlight kept blinking or not appearing even when the fire tv was on and then the remote started going mental contacted amazon and they are sending a replacement tomorrow and added bonus I'm getting to keep the remote and they are giving me a £10 credit following the problems hopefully the new one is better

Comalley2016

Jul 16, 2016
Hi Mollygeorge, how do I move files from my Amazon Fire TV stick to my new 2nd gen Amazon Fire TV?

Thanks,

Christian

mollygeorge66

Jul 11, 2016
Replacement 4k fire tv arrived today tried sky go again same message hdmi not supported tried it in the tv which original fire tv is and sky go is working but still getting the damn message also can anyone confirm wether the powerlight should be on when using the 4k fire tv as a light only appears when i use the remote just confused as the original fire tv powerlight is on constantly

callanish

Mar 5, 2015
Tried this version Callanish same message hdmi not supported can't figure out what the hell the problem is I'm baffled how the hell is it working on my original fire tv set up exactly the same way but won't work on the 4k fire tv I'm totally stumped

So, basically what we can surmise from all this is that the Fire TV 2 boxes have aggressive HDCP copyright protection built in to prevent apps like Skygo from functioning. The options remaining, imho, are either A) purchase another Fire TV 1 box used or new if you can find one B) purchase a new Fire TV stick as it's still a version 1 device and I can vouch that it still works with Skygo 2 C) run one of the many Android boxes out there, sideload skygo and do some testing, or D) Do what I did and run a Intel Nuc; (a windows type box) or something similar, and hook it up to a usb Wireless keyboard and run skygo through a browser. That's what I use as a backup option. Yes, you could also use a computer connected with an hdmi cable to a tv, but the Intel NUC, for me, streamlines the process. Probably impractical for your needs, but just want to point out another option. The Point is, unless some other people on the forum chime in telling you that they've gotten skygo to work on the Fire TV 2, and how they've done it, then it might be time to throw in the towel on this one and think about some other options. You know Amazon and Sky are going to continue to make it harder to do what we want, so it might be better to just find a box, like the Fire TV 1 or Fire TV stick and at least get Skygo working again.

For the record, I've got my Fire Tv boxes and stick blocked for any future Amazon firmware updates. I'm thinking that Amazon could introduce an update that prevents the Fire TV 1 and Stick from working with Skygo as well, so better safe than sorry.

Last edited:

mollygeorge66

Jul 11, 2016
Thanks for the reply Callanish I'm thinking I'll just leave it as it is and wait for someone to say wether on not there's a solution for sky go on the 4k version all my other apps bt nbcsn directv play flawlessly and i can't be bothered sending it back again and setting another one up from scratch thanks for trying to help

callanish

Mar 5, 2015
Thanks for the reply Callanish I'm thinking I'll just leave it as it is and wait for someone to say wether on not there's a solution for sky go on the 4k version all my other apps bt nbcsn directv play flawlessly and i can't be bothered sending it back again and setting another one up from scratch thanks for trying to help

Sorry. Wish I could have been more helpful.