• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Slight shock or buzzing effect on OnePlus 5 while charging

Do you feel the shock while charging?

• Yeah, and it feels so weird to hold the phone

Votes: 16 34.0%
  • Nope, are you on dream or something?

Votes: 31 66.0%

• Total voters
Search This thread

small_daddy

Mar 24, 2017
And one more thing to add here is you will not feel the mild buzzing shock if you are wearing your shoes/flip flops or are insulated from earth/ground in any manner. It is an electrical charge after all. :)

The Amazon support person checked my OP5 and has approved a replacement. He also confirmed there are other customers who have raised the same complaint. I am now debating if I should ask for a refund instead since the replacement may have the same issue.
I think it doesnt harm.. so why did u returned the product

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

AlphaX2025

Feb 20, 2014
Mumbai
LMAO.

Either I just called the Amazon support.
I am going to return this pathetic device tomorrow for a full refund.
Guess what I am happy now. Good riddance.
It's a shame the OnePlus hyped this sht so much and failed so hard.

I would Never Settle for OnePlus ever again.

I don't know what you're talking about. Amazon clearly said to me they don't provide Refunds on any Mobile Phone. You can either get a replacement or keep the device. I'm stuck with this 38,000 phone ;)

ManikandanGuru

Aug 9, 2013
Chennai
manikandan.guru
I don't know what you're talking about. Amazon clearly said to me they don't provide Refunds on any Mobile Phone. You can either get a replacement or keep the device. I'm stuck with this 38,000 phone ;)

Today they received the device from me and refund has been initiated. I asked for the refund. They said there is no stock as of now and we are initiating the refund. Amazon can issue refund.
Please call them and confirm. You can get a replacement though if you want.

ManikandanGuru

Aug 9, 2013
Chennai
manikandan.guru
Don`t feel, hear or experience anything. I swear some users are inventing some peculiar issues ;)

Amazon technician came to my house to check the issue and he clearly said that he can feel the shock and he reported Amazon that this device should be replaced or refunded. Amazon called me and said that they don't have the device in stock and initiated the refund.

I am not inventing anything here. That **** OnePlus is selling with this peculiar issues. If you don't feel anything that's good for you that doesn't mean the device I received is not defective or perfect. Ask that Amazon technician guy for confirmation ;p

ManikandanGuru

Aug 9, 2013
Chennai
manikandan.guru

I had an option whether to have this problematic device or return it and get a refund. I chose to return it. What's wrong with that?
If you can live with a device that can mildly shock when you use while it's charging that's your choice that doesn't mean I have to hold on to this device. I made my choice.

ManikandanGuru

Aug 9, 2013
Chennai
manikandan.guru
And one more thing to add here is you will not feel the mild buzzing shock if you are wearing your shoes/flip flops or are insulated from earth/ground in any manner. It is an electrical charge after all. :)

The Amazon support person checked my OP5 and has approved a replacement. He also confirmed there are other customers who have raised the same complaint. I am now debating if I should ask for a refund instead since the replacement may have the same issue.

+1

ManikandanGuru

Aug 9, 2013
Chennai
manikandan.guru
I dont have this issue, using a protective case :)

Like in the 3T midnight black using a case is recommended by OnePlus:
"Note: we're confident that we've innovated a superior coating process for the OnePlus 3T Midnight Black. However, micro-abrasions may result from regular use without a protective case."

Maybe OnePlus should release a statement like:
"Note: we're confident that we've innovated a superior coating process for the OnePlus 5. However, flow of high good energy and vibes may be perceived result from touching or licking the device while charging without a protective case."

It's always a feature for them, for every problem we found they always say it's a feature. ???

gee2012

Recognized Contributor
Jul 13, 2010
Heerlen
Amazon technician came to my house to check the issue and he clearly said that he can feel the shock and he reported Amazon that this device should be replaced or refunded. Amazon called me and said that they don't have the device in stock and initiated the refund.

I am not inventing anything here. That **** OnePlus is selling with this peculiar issues. If you don't feel anything that's good for you that doesn't mean the device I received is not defective or perfect. Ask that Amazon technician guy for confirmation ;p

I believe you, well good luck with your next phone and hope you will enjoy that one more :good:

Sharp-Razr

Jan 14, 2012

None of my other devices exhibit this effect and those devices include mobile phones, laptops and other devices with external power adapters/chargers.

Heck!! The damned OP5 has this issue even when it's plugged into my PC which in turn is plugged into an properly earthed APC Smart-UPS!!

Therefore, I don't see any reason why I should accept a handset that very clearly has a manufacturing fault, a fault that has been verified by a technician AND faced by other OP5 owners. Maybe it is something to do with a particular batch of units shipped to my country. So, it goes back for a replacement or a refund. My enthusiasm for this handset is at an all time low.

Reactions: srt99

Rebel7022

Oct 13, 2016
Las Vegas
None of my other devices exhibit this effect and those devices include mobile phones, laptops and other devices with external power adapters/chargers.

Heck!! The damned OP5 has this issue even when it's plugged into my PC which in turn is plugged into an properly earthed APC Smart-UPS!!

Therefore, I don't see any reason why I should accept a handset that very clearly has a manufacturing fault, a fault that has been verified by a technician AND faced by other OP5 owners. Maybe it is something to do with a particular batch of units shipped to my country. So, it goes back for a replacement or a refund. My enthusiasm for this handset is at an all time low.

Most people don't have that problem, If you get another one and it works you'll like the phone i really like the 5

Sharp-Razr

Jan 14, 2012
Most people don't have that problem, If you get another one and it works you'll like the phone i really like the 5

Yeah, I agree, I admit liking the phone very much...except when it's charging. :)

But I also feel let down as this problem can be construed to be a safety issue. If Amazon offers a replacement I'll take it. And if they're out of stock and offer a refund I'm ok with that too.

Rebel7022

Oct 13, 2016
Las Vegas
Yeah, I agree, I admit liking the phone very much...except when it's charging. :)

But I also feel let down as this problem can be construed to be a safety issue. If Amazon offers a replacement I'll take it. And if they're out of stock and offer a refund I'm ok with that too.

Yea that's what I would do, if my had a charging prob, I would probably just buy the sLatE grey. I like that one & I don't know if I could wait that long for the beast to get in stock. The sLatE Grey is the coolest tone of Grey I ever seen. Have you tried a custom rom or a full wipe. Or format the phone and see if that helps

Sharp-Razr

Jan 14, 2012
Have you tried a custom rom or a full wipe. Or format the phone and see if that helps

Yep, did a clean wipe/reset twice over and set it up from scratch. There's no change, it still gives me that rather disconcerting "buzz" whilst charging.

I believe this issue has something to do with the electronics probably the motherboard & not the firmware.

Sharp-Razr

Jan 14, 2012
<rant alert>So Amazon gave me a refund and advised me to re-order the handset which I did. The handset (assembled/manufactured 11 Jul '17) was delivered today and it still has the same issue albeit milder than the previous unit.

So I thought s***w it, just get a good quality case and it should resolve this peculiar behaviour once and for all. I really, really, like the OP5 but at a loss to understand why this happens when the handset is on charge. <End of rant>

letmedanz

Aug 26, 2010
Bangalore
<rant alert>So Amazon gave me a refund and advised me to re-order the handset which I did. The handset (assembled/manufactured 11 Jul '17) was delivered today and it still has the same issue albeit milder than the previous unit.

So I thought s***w it, just get a good quality case and it should resolve this peculiar behaviour once and for all. I really, really, like the OP5 but at a loss to understand why this happens when the handset is on charge. <End of rant>

True that.
I too did the same, the Sandstone case & i don't feel it anymore.
In fact the sandstone case feels nice to hold too

Top Liked Posts