SlimPort adapters

Search This thread

Aircraft800

Nov 4, 2010
Anyone find a SlimPort adapter that doesn't limit the output current to 500mah? I want to be able to charge my LG G2 while streaming, have tried 2 different adapters with no luck. (Using OEM charger with the adapter) Battery dies way to fast while using the adapter with charger attached. Preferably one with a long Micro USB cord, not the short 4" ones most come with.

Q8-V08

Oct 30, 2013
Semi related question. So for direct streaming to a TV what is the best option?

If I tried miracast via chromecast it would be slightly delayed. But it would play any audio or video, say through mx player? Right?

Yes but audio lags / stutters like crazy on video and games, it may be better on n 5Ghz wifi networks instead of 2.4Ghz b/g.
You can't stream widevine drm protected videos via wifi either "used by 4od and a few others", I don't know about slimport.

Obveron

Jul 31, 2013
Anyone find a SlimPort adapter that doesn't limit the output current to 500mah? I want to be able to charge my LG G2 while streaming, have tried 2 different adapters with no luck. (Using OEM charger with the adapter) Battery dies way to fast while using the adapter with charger attached. Preferably one with a long Micro USB cord, not the short 4" ones most come with.

All adapters seem to limit the charging current. I'm not sure this is a limitation of the adapter but perhaps the tablet itselft won't accept more current when outputting video. I wonder if wireless charging would work better while outputting video??

Aircraft800

Nov 4, 2010
All adapters seem to limit the charging current. I'm not sure this is a limitation of the adapter but perhaps the tablet itselft won't accept more current when outputting video. I wonder if wireless charging would work better while outputting video??
There is one listed in the AppRadio Unchained thread that claims 1.5A, but It didn't work for me. It has a short micro USB lead, I need a 3ft one. I tried a extension but it looses signal. I think wireless charging is also limited to 500mAh.

Krynn!

Jul 20, 2010

Try the Analogix SP1003. It'll support up to 1.5A charging, depending on what power supply you hook it up to.

Krynn!

Jul 20, 2010
Yeah, same here. I've heard that a 5-pin micro USB extension works, but I've not tried that myself.

ZoeBlur

Jan 15, 2015
USB 3.0 to Gigabit Ethernet Adapter

I dont actually tried using Slimport. what i am using at home is USB 3.0 to Gigabit Ethernet Adapter. I bought it from Dlink Shop . Fast Ethernet Connectivity, easy to install and use and energy-saving functionality.

Protonus

Aug 7, 2008
Webster, NY
protonus.ws
FYI, There is a new official SlimPort adapter out now since most of the posts here - the SP1004. You can buy it here: http://www.amazon.com/Official-Slimp...eywords=SP1004

This is latest adapter and from what I'm seeing, it came out in around September of 2014. It supports high speed AC charging thru it's USB port and has fixes for reliability etc. I would say if you're looking to buy one of these adapters, this one for sure, is the one to get.

Analogix, the company that actually makes these, lists it as the latest in the series:
http://www.analogix.com/en/products/adapters/sp1004

I guess they had a lot of problems of not only third party adapters, but also knockoffs of existing models. Even the http://www.slimportconnect.com/ website incorrectly lists the prior SP1003 model.

I'll be ordering one this week, for my G3 and my Nexus 7 (2013), and I'll report back.

Last edited:

howellzhu

Dec 21, 2014
Zhuhai
I want a stable slimport adapter

I have bought 3 slimport adapters, but all of them just can work for few seconds. After a while, the screen turne into blank and mute.

Protonus

Aug 7, 2008
Webster, NY
protonus.ws
FYI, There is a new official SlimPort adapter out now since most of the posts here - the SP1004. You can buy it here: http://www.amazon.com/Official-Slimp...eywords=SP1004

This is latest adapter and from what I'm seeing, it came out in around September of 2014. It supports high speed AC charging thru it's USB port and has fixes for reliability etc. I would say if you're looking to buy one of these adapters, this one for sure, is the one to get.

Analogix, the company that actually makes these, lists it as the latest in the series:
http://www.analogix.com/en/products/adapters/sp1004

I guess they had a lot of problems of not only third party adapters, but also knockoffs of existing models. Even the http://www.slimportconnect.com/ website incorrectly lists the prior SP1003 model.

I'll be ordering one this week, for my G3 and my Nexus 7 (2013), and I'll report back.

I've now received this adapter, and I'm happy to say it works great on both my LG G3 and my Nexus 7 (2013). I recommend you use (and just this) adapter.

jtdc

Aug 17, 2008
Geylang
my order of the USD 11.00 slimport order from eBay arrived (the price includes shipping).

www.ebay.com.sg/itm/331106883094

works fine on both Nexus 5 and Nexus 7 2013. however i will be using it more on the Nexus 7 2013.

i am still figuring out the sequence of 100% success of outputting hdmi, but once it connects, pretty stays connected solid, no lost display.
its going out to a full HD samsung, there are blank black unused space on left and right side like a margin, albeit the TV detecting 1920x1080 60p. controlled by bluetooth keyboard and mouse.

i noticed though even if the slimport microusb is connected to a Sony EP880 1500mAh and original sony cable, the whole setup discharges. meaning eventually the setup will die, as the discharge is faster than the charge. however when the tablet goes to sleep (display off) it charges slowly hence charge recovery is possible at that state.

it also seems the tablet gets a bit warm, (so is the Nexus5). something like its playing a slightly graphic intensive game.

my proof of concept worked to satisfy my curiosity of this kind of setup, however the whole setup isn't as efficient as a windows connected to the screen. stock chrome font still big, unable to force make it smaller. pressing enter as send don't work with usual messaging apps. multi-window in spite of Floating Apps app still leaves much to be desired.

this is an acceptable setup i guess, until maybe the intel compute stick comes along.

Attachments

• IMG_20150127_204738.jpg
    IMG_20150127_204738.jpg
    238.3 KB · Views: 452
Last edited:

sacto7

Apr 18, 2015
Nexus slimport vs Fire HDX slimport ???

I was successful with the PPA slimport for use with the Nexus 7 2013, twice, then used it briefly with the Amazon Kindle Fire HDX 8.9. Now the PPA is dead for both tablets.

Bought the Amazon slimport for the Fire HDX; it worked for a couple hours the 1st time (connected to the charger so the tablet won't discharge too rapidly). Tried it on the Nexus 7 & it didn't work!!! For "piece of mind", used the Amazon slimport on the Fire HDX again & it still worked, whew.

May try again on the Nexus 7 to see if it is the Nexus 7 connection that is "out of whack".

Anyway, will be checking with Monoprice for their slimport since the PPA slimport went to the dump. Forgot to say that had 1st tried a cheapo from Frys that is just slimport cable to hdmi for the Nexus which also didn't work; didn't work with the Fire HDX also but think it needed to be connected to a charger like a "regular" MHL that I had to do for the Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4.

Warbuff

Jul 23, 2010
New York
What are the benefits of a slimport over a ChromeCast?? I'm sure there has to be multiple benefits, since people are buying them.
Personally, I can't understand why anyone would spend $30 on a wired connection, when you can go wireless for the same price...

I can't connect my chromecast to a hotel wifi

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Q8-V08

Oct 30, 2013
my order of the USD 11.00 slimport order from eBay arrived (the price includes shipping).

www.ebay.com.sg/itm/331106883094

works fine on both Nexus 5 and Nexus 7 2013. however i will be using it more on the Nexus 7 2013.

i am still figuring out the sequence of 100% success of outputting hdmi, but once it connects, pretty stays connected solid, no lost display.
its going out to a full HD samsung, there are blank black unused space on left and right side like a margin, albeit the TV detecting 1920x1080 60p. controlled by bluetooth keyboard and mouse.

i noticed though even if the slimport microusb is connected to a Sony EP880 1500mAh and original sony cable, the whole setup discharges. meaning eventually the setup will die, as the discharge is faster than the charge. however when the tablet goes to sleep (display off) it charges slowly hence charge recovery is possible at that state.

it also seems the tablet gets a bit warm, (so is the Nexus5). something like its playing a slightly graphic intensive game.

my proof of concept worked to satisfy my curiosity of this kind of setup, however the whole setup isn't as efficient as a windows connected to the screen. stock chrome font still big, unable to force make it smaller. pressing enter as send don't work with usual messaging apps. multi-window in spite of Floating Apps app still leaves much to be desired.

this is an acceptable setup i guess, until maybe the intel compute stick comes along.

To get rid of the black bars you need to change your device resolution & ratio to 16:9 by default it's 16:10
and the idiots at google thought it'd be a good idea to output the navbar in non immersize mode.
To fix output for hdmi and casting set the following with Second Screen

HDMI: resolution 1920x1080, dpi 288
Casting: resolution 1280x720, dpi 192

Arak-Nafein

Sep 9, 2010
What are the benefits of a slimport over a ChromeCast?? I'm sure there has to be multiple benefits, since people are buying them.
Personally, I can't understand why anyone would spend $30 on a wired connection, when you can go wireless for the same price...

Two different devices, with two different intended uses.

Chromecast is a streaming device. It requires internet, and a "controller device". You can't run straight chromecast with just the 1 device. It gets URLs handed to it, then it does the streaming itself. (Sure, there have been various apps that allow you to mirror your screen, but that's not how it was intended to be used)

Slimport is a straight video/audio output. Everything you see on your screen shows up on the TV you're plugged into. This is a much better option if you intend on using your tablet like a PC with a keyboard/mouse. You don't need internet, you don't need wifi, you don't need another device to act like a "remote control". It's straight up video/audio out.

I own both and I use slimport more. It's just less hassle. You plug it in, and that's it. With the Chromecast, you gotta find wifi somewhere(or create a hotspot) and then run the setup app on a third device (Chromecast, phone for hotspot, and tablet for remote control) that's too much work.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I'd be curious to whether the output is vertically squashed or whether there are black bars on top and bottom of the output and the aspect ratio is kept consistent as well.

I bought the Analogix adapter, and the full Nexus 16:10 display is evenly scaled down to fit within the 16:9 ratio of the tv. This means that the image you see has the correct aspect ratio, but is pillar-boxed on the tv screen. This also means that it's not a 1:1 pixel mapping. In fact, playing back a 1080p 16:9 movie appears both letter-boxed (to fit in the 16:10 Nexus ratio) and pillar-boxed (to fit back into the 16:9 tv ratio) when played back on the tv. The scaling quality is good, but I'd much prefer 1:1.

My Asus 10" tablet handles this much better. When it detects an hdmi connection, it letter-boxes the tablet display and forces Android into an aspect-correct 16:9 mode so that it can mirror the display to the tv. I was really hoping the Nexus would do the same thing, or at least give me an option to reconfigure this, but I haven't found any settings for it. Overall I'm a bit disappointed, this seems like a step backwards.
    I can confirm that the slimport in the link below works perfectly with the new nexus 7, including 1080p video and audio output http://www.amazon.com/SlimPort®-SP1...4962024&sr=8-1&keywords=slimport+hdmi+adapter
    Thanks for the details monouchi. That's most dissapointing. I wonder if Google would ever patch Android to give more display options. The way your Asus tablet works makes the most sense.

Or perhaps there is a custom rom that gives more options.

There is a thread in the Nexus 10 forums about how to switch the native resolution to make it work without scaling. The solution requires you to be rooted. Someone posted info about the Nexus 7 2nd Gen, which is:

Code:
    I have Nexus 7 2nd gen. Native resolution is 1200x1920 and default density is 320 (though technically the density is about 323).

To get it to work correctly in 1080p, I have to run the following commands as root:
    wm size 1080x1920
    wm density 288

To change it back:
    wm size reset
    wm density reset

If I don't change the density to 288 or smaller, the icons and everything get messed up, especially in landscape.

The thread is http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2278508&page=2

I haven't tried it yet as I don't have a slimport adapter.
    Can you guys check if the charging function of SlimPort can keep up with some heavy usage, like HD video streaming or game playing? But of course you should use the wall warp to provide enough juicy to the tablet.

I think there are somethings the SlimPort can improve, like turning off the tablet screen while outputting to external display, or even make it dual display.

I doubt he even has the Nexus 7 at all.

I'm in China and I can't find such $3 SlimPort rip-off product on taobao.com, it's somewhat priced at $20 equivalently:
    http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=21275751349

Some bad news. Initial observations from last night I streamed a movie through plex at 1080p, and the slimport with attached OEM charger and cable I was very slowly losing battery. I want to do more testing, but it seemed like the slimport either took some of the current for itself or the Nexus7 was using a tremendous amount of it. I will do a test later tonight that can measure the current throughput to ensure that it's charging at full current.

I did find, however, that with the slimport attached (without microusb charger plugged into it), you CAN wirelessly charge, but I found it to not keep up with the demands of plex and the attached slimport, just like the standard charger. Note when I was doing this test I only had one charging method active at a time, either wireless or through the slimport charging port.

I will do more tests, but it looks like in general there might not be a way to perpetually output to hdmi through slimport, as I'm not finding a charging method that can keep up with all scenarios, mine using plex as an example streaming 1080p

Oh yeah, and also, the back of the nexus was pretty toasty.
    I just received my slimport from amazon.ca and it works fine.

This is the one: http://www.amazon.ca/SlimPort®-SP10...=UTF8&qid=1376666860&sr=8-1&keywords=slimport

My observations:

-it doesn't require external power (it is powered by my TV, some may not provide power), but this doesn't charge it

-plugging a usb cable into the slimport adapter does charge it

-OTG adapter does not work plugged into the slimport adapter. The slimport adapter trips the ID pin on the usb port, and shuts off the 5v output to avoid current leak. I didn't try with otg adapter + y-cable connect to power source. I will experiment more.

-the hdmi output is 1920x1080 at 60Hz (on my TV, depends on your TV's capabilities) so there is no lag, very smooth (note that many devices limit to 24Hz or 30Hz at 1080p and it looks choppy)

-unfortunately the output is pillarboxed by default. This can be fixed by doing (as root)
    wm size 1080x1920
    wm density 288

then reset with:
    wm size reset
    wm density reset

I don't think this is something to be fixed in kernel, the kernel is doing what it's supposed to with respect to output resolution to lcd and hdmi.

Someone should write a daemon or system service that detects hdmi status and runs these commands automatically.