• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Slow charging while using, faulty phone?

Search This thread

D_Magic

Aug 6, 2010
Got my LG G4 yesterday and when i charge the phone with the included charger it takes 128 minutes if i don't use the phone.

When i use the phone while charging for web browsing it charges a lot slower, it takes around 4 to 6 hours to go from 0 to 100%

On my Note 4 or Galaxy s6 or Nexus 6 the phones also charges a little slower while using the phone, maybe 30 minuten extra but on my G4 it adds a couple hours extra

So wanna know if this is normal or that i have a faulty phone/battery/charger

How are youre G4's charging while using?

rogconnect

Dec 16, 2010
Sin City
Got my LG G4 yesterday and when i charge the phone with the included charger it takes 128 minutes if i don't use the phone.

When i use the phone while charging for web browsing it charges a lot slower, it takes around 4 to 6 hours to go from 0 to 100%

On my Note 4 or Galaxy s6 or Nexus 6 the phones also charges a little slower while using the phone, maybe 30 minuten extra but on my G4 it adds a couple hours extra

Yes...I noticed that too when using the phone its only get around 200 mA. But if you leave it screen off ...it goes up to as high as 1900 mA. I guess its prevent the battery from overheating. Well it charges quite fast for me if I leave screen off. By the way, I uses a Aukery Quick Charge 2.0 charger. Go and install Ampere from Playstore to see it yourself. Now my G4 is charging...quite fast

9c357570360212818229cefe825a08c6.jpg

Sent from LG G3 D855

Last edited:

D_Magic

Aug 6, 2010
Yes...I noticed that too when using the phone its only get around 200 mA. But if you leave it screen off ...it goes up to as high as 1900 mA. I guess its prevent the battery from overheating. Well it charges quite fast for me if I leave screen off. By the way, I uses a Aukery Quick Charge 2.0 charger. Go and install Ampere from Playstore to see it yourself. Now my G4 is charging...quite fast

9c357570360212818229cefe825a08c6.jpg

Sent from LG G3 D855

I noticed this to with currentwidget that it charges with 200 to 600 mA while using the phone and 1600 mA when not using the phone

Problem i have is that when i charge the phone while not using it it doesn't keep charging on 1600 mA cause if it did it would be full in 2 hours and yesterday i started charging from 5% and waited for 2 hours without using the phone and after 2 hours it was at 60% so it didn't charge at 1600 mA for 2 hours

I wonder if more people have this slow charging issue or only the two of us

Think this shows that there is something wrong with the 808 snapdragon also cause if they choose to limit the mA to 200 while using the phone for simpel things like browsing that means it takes ages to get a full charge so youre unable to use the phone while charging

The Note 4 and nexus 6 didn't do that and the LG G3 didn't do that so way would they choose to do that with this phone

Like everything about this phone but the charging is the worst i have ever seen on any phone

Sent from my LG-H815 using XDA Free mobile app

rogconnect

Dec 16, 2010
Sin City
I noticed this to with currentwidget that it charges with 200 to 600 mA while using the phone and 1600 mA when not using the phone

Problem i have is that when i charge the phone while not using it it doesn't keep charging on 1600 mA cause if it did it would be full in 2 hours and yesterday i started charging from 5% and waited for 2 hours without using the phone and after 2 hours it was at 60% so it didn't charge at 1600 mA for 2 hours

I wonder if more people have this slow charging issue or only the two of us

Think this shows that there is something wrong with the 808 snapdragon also cause if they choose to limit the mA to 200 while using the phone for simpel things like browsing that means it takes ages to get a full charge so youre unable to use the phone while charging

The Note 4 and nexus 6 didn't do that and the LG G3 didn't do that so way would they choose to do that with this phone

Like everything about this phone but the charging is the worst i have ever seen on any phone

Sent from my LG-H815 using XDA Free mobile app
Heat play a part too. If battery temperature above 40 C it will charge slow. Higher the temperature it'll stop charging. Now while typing mine is about 900 mA. So overall to me it's working great. Waiting for quick charge 2.0 update. And I never leave my battery less than 80%. I always have battery backup charger with me.

Sent from LG G4 H815 using TMO 4G LTE

silent_bob52637

Jul 15, 2010
edinburgh
Mine charges from 6% to full in 1hr 7mins with the charger that came with it but i shut down wifi bluetooth data and nfc while charging it hits 1630ma in seconds and stays there til charged but i dont use while charging and i get 14 hrs easy on the battery

sent from my pre-release littlebig monster

dipole

Sep 1, 2010
Thank goodness, I thought I had a bad phone when I was using it plugged in the battery was slowly draining

toughthrone

Sep 15, 2012
Thank goodness, I thought I had a bad phone when I was using it plugged in the battery was slowly draining

so i'm not the only one! sorry for the duplicate post.

may i know if you are using the dual sim version?

from my test, when using single sim w/o SD card, it is charging 1% per minute. WIth dual sim and a 64GB Sdcard (with media stored in it), it is charging .5% to .8% per minute.

Teddy Sutanto

May 31, 2015
Mine took about the same too! Just got mine yesterday. Hey my phone always power itself on, everytime i charge it (after being switched off).. Always switched on by itself. Is it the way it is??

rogconnect

Dec 16, 2010
Sin City
Mine took about the same too! Just got mine yesterday. Hey my phone always power itself on, everytime i charge it (after being switched off).. Always switched on by itself. Is it the way it is??
Yes its been this way since lollipop update. My G3 acts this way too. G4 indeed support Quick Charge 2.0 its charge so much faster go get yourself one. Suggest get the one with LED indicator that show when Quick Charge 2.0 is activated.
8b8ad188c6d9909b9a03ff194b7cdf08.jpg

6ff1f264aca5727aab7954b0009619d1.jpg

250c4b45777b7fc7b5f53f5ed1b00b59.jpg

0c7522fedeedc5c7db026138892f92b3.jpg

Its indicated 7.5 V on USB Doctor.

dipole

Sep 1, 2010
so i'm not the only one! sorry for the duplicate post.

may i know if you are using the dual sim version?

from my test, when using single sim w/o SD card, it is charging 1% per minute. WIth dual sim and a 64GB Sdcard (with media stored in it), it is charging .5% to .8% per minute.

I'm on us T-Mobile so single sim

Teddy Sutanto

May 31, 2015
hmmm... since this is my secondary phone, and since the G4 has just been released here in Indoensia, i cant get access to Quick Charge, maybe i will live with it at the moment...:eek:

toughthrone

Sep 15, 2012
mine officially takes 4 hours to finish charging, with the screen off and wifi on. both sim cards with sd card. i hope a software update can fix this..

PunishedSnake

Apr 12, 2014
Fresno
Same here slow

---------- Post added at 12:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:36 AM ----------

Using turbo charger

Julie Phan

Jul 17, 2015
Slow charging LG G4

Oh yeah.. finally I found this issue... I was seaching for a week. I also hot problem with slow charging.. I wonder why? It take around more than 6 hours for me to charge fully with phone standbye.. from 5% to full.. if I shut off phone take around 2,5 hours charging n if I using airplane mode on n with wifi on with off background running app it take around 4 hours full but if I use while charges n play game.. the battery in charge from 97% low till 91 % in 10 minutes.. I don't know what going on or my LG G4 is broken? And yeah, we have 2 slot sim card that only available in Indonesia or it effected slower charge.. while my G2 charge quite quick I use phone n took about 2 hour charge full n standbys only 1.5 hours.

andxit

Oct 22, 2014
Naples
I boought the phone yesterday....
With screen on it charge in 260ma....very very slow....
It's normal or i have a fault phone....

KingFatty

Feb 4, 2009
Guys also keep in mind, I think your USB cable can affect how the phone charges.

So if you have a long cable, or perhaps a thin cable (or just cheaply made/poor quality), then your charge rate will be slower. I confirmed this when I use a thick/official cable that gets a high charge rate, then switch to an extra long skinny cheap cable that gets a low charge rate (use Ampere to confirm).

So try swapping to a good thick short USB cable.

RedOCtobyr

Jun 10, 2015
I boought the phone yesterday....
With screen on it charge in 260ma....very very slow....
It's normal or i have a fault phone....

Unfortunately, this is normal. As the phone gets warm, it reduces the charge rate. My first G4 would usually charge at 280mA with the screen on.

Keep the screen off, and try to avoid apps that may be working hard in the background, to keep the phone cooler, and charging faster.

I did some testing of charge rates vs temperature. The phone CAN still charge quickly with the screen on, but you need to keep it cool to make that happen.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/g4/help/slow-charging-apparently-related-to-t3134443

Last edited:
Reactions: Pfeffernuss

KingFatty

Feb 4, 2009
Another strategy in the car is to use a cup holder to put the phone sticking up/out, and adjust an air conditioner vent to point directly down and over toward the phone. On my car, I can use the passenger vent closest to the center console, and the phone gets nice and cool even while charging with GPS navigation and screen on.

Top Liked Posts