Slow WiFi with screen off

Search This thread

gakio12

Dec 30, 2011
Boise
I am running CM10 on my Nexus 7 and Galaxy Nexus, but I had this issue on stock as well (Galaxy Nexus 4.0.4 worked though).

Whenever I am downloading a large file, I usually turn the screen off. However, when I turn it back on 15 minutes later to check the download, and it only downloaded a small fraction of the file! Both devices have WiFi set to never sleep.

In a short test I just did, 20 mb to 24 mb took 8 seconds with the screen on; 24 mb to 26 mb took 1 minute with the screen off. (Nexus 7, same situation on Galaxy Nexus)

Is anyone else having these issues? I know I am on a nightly ROM, but I had these issues on stock Jelly Bean as well (even some ICS on the Gnex).

Reactions: pabs23

airmaxx23

Jun 25, 2010
Colton, NY
I am running CM10 on my Nexus 7 and Galaxy Nexus, but I had this issue on stock as well (Galaxy Nexus 4.0.4 worked though).

Whenever I am downloading a large file, I usually turn the screen off. However, when I turn it back on 15 minutes later to check the download, and it only downloaded a small fraction of the file! Both devices have WiFi set to never sleep.

In a short test I just did, 20 mb to 24 mb took 8 seconds with the screen on; 24 mb to 26 mb took 1 minute with the screen off. (Nexus 7, same situation on Galaxy Nexus)

Is anyone else having these issues? I know I am on a nightly ROM, but I had these issues on stock Jelly Bean as well (even some ICS on the Gnex).

Supposedly it is a JB feature to throttle down the connection with the screen off. There is an app called WiFi High Performance Widget that you can use to keep it at maximum speed.

It's free but listed as not compatible with the N7 even thoug it works fine. I've uploaded it to my box account, you can download it here.

https://www.box.com/shared/9ae34dfe8dbb99a47a02

Reactions: pabs23 and gakio12

gakio12

Dec 30, 2011
Boise
Supposedly it is a JB feature to throttle down the connection with the screen off. There is an app called WiFi High Performance Widget that you can use to keep it at maximum speed.

It's free but listed as not compatible with the N7 even thoug it works fine. I've uploaded it to my box account, you can download it here.

Wow nice, thanks! Works great. Just wish I could hide the notification. Hopefully this can get baked in to CM10 :good:

FunkyELF

Sep 30, 2009
Will try it later

Thanks. I will have to try this later.

This definitely sounds like a "feature" that should be OPTIONAL.
Crazy that we have to download another application to fix it.

The stock N7 slows down my wifi so much that I have to turn on my screen after every song Pandora plays.

When I turn it on Pandora seems to buffer enough of the song or the entire song and after it is over... nothing, turn on the screen and the next song starts playing.

Perhaps before Google does a new release, they should stress test any application with 50,000,000+ downloads.

FunkyELF

Sep 30, 2009
permissions

I can see why it needs...

System tools
connect and disconnect from Wi-Fi, prevent tablet from sleeping

But why does it need...

Phone calls
read phone status and identity, reroute outgoing calls

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

https://www.box.com/shared/9ae34dfe8dbb99a47a02