SM-996B/DS - not receiving calls, probably as a result of latest update (G996BXXU5CVF3)

Search This thread

sbi1

Oct 7, 2011
Boston area
Greetings,

I suspect that I stopped receiving calls (T-Mobile SIM in US) after latest updated, done sometime last week.
I can make calls.
I am not receiving calls, not through mobile network and not even on my Google Voice.
Tried both Cellular and WiFi calling - nothing.
I tested the SIM in another phone and I calls are received fine.

Already re-booted the phone several times, cleared the cache, played with settings - nothing.

Any idea (other than wipe the phone or buy a new one)?

Thank you.

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
Network reset.
Clear data in Sim toolkit.
Have carrier do a reset on their side.
Try in safe mode.

Rule #1 - if a platform is fast, stable and fulfilling its mission, let it be. Updates and upgrades can and do break things.

sbi1

Oct 7, 2011
Boston area
Network reset.
Clear data in Sim toolkit.
Have carrier do a reset on their side.
Try in safe mode.

Rule #1 - if a platform is fast, stable and fulfilling its mission, let it be. Updates and upgrades can and do break things.

Already did Network Reset - did not help.
I don't see a SIM toolkit.
I doubt it's the carrier. As I mentioned - I put the SIM in my older S10+ and am able to receive calls without an issue.

How do I reboot in Safe mode?

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
I doubt it's the carrier. As I mentioned - I put the SIM in my older S10+ and am able to receive calls without an issue.

Don't know for that phone.
Again ask the carrier for a reset.
As it appears on my Samsung N10+:
Screenshot_20220628-145822_Package Disabler Pro.jpg

vmirrimv

To enter the safe mode, press power button until the action menu appers, touch and hold the power off option and select safe mode

Reactions: sbi1

sbi1

Oct 7, 2011
Boston area
OK, so same behavior in Safe mode - can make calls but not receiving calls.

As I mentioned - the SIM is perfectly fine in another phone, make and receive calls.
Also, I just put my wife's sim in my S21 and it acts the same way - making calls but not receiving them.
So I believe we can confirm that the issue is not the SIM and/or the network, it is something with the phone.

Any other idea?

sbi1

Oct 7, 2011
Boston area
Anyone else? No one has this issue after latest update? Samsung forums have several owners who experience the same issue.

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
Which basically will wipe out everything, or does it not wipe the phone?
It wipes the user data partition I believe which you should do anyway to avoid a conflict.
I never had to reflash any of my Samsung's. Android's aren't the easiest to flash and I avoid it if at all possible. One reason I don't update or upgrade a good load... just not worth the trouble.

Regardless always assume all data will be lost and back it up, redundantly. This should already be the case; while stock Android's are very stable and crashes very rare, they can happen at anytime with little or no warning. Especially if you're messing with the firmware.

sbi1

Oct 7, 2011
Boston area
It wipes the user data partition I believe which you should do anyway to avoid a conflict.
I never had to reflash any of my Samsung's. Android's aren't the easiest to flash and I avoid it if at all possible. One reason I don't update or upgrade a good load... just not worth the trouble.

Regardless always assume all data will be lost and back it up, redundantly. This should already be the case; while stock Android's are very stable and crashes very rare, they can happen at anytime with little or no warning. Especially if you're messing with the firmware.

Thanks @blackhawk .

In this case, I'll probably just do a complete wipe (after a backup of course) and do everything myself. This is really pissing me off that Samsung sends OTA "Update" (no funky business, no roots, stock phone) that basically turns it into a brick.

Reactions: blackhawk

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
Thanks @blackhawk .

In this case, I'll probably just do a complete wipe (after a backup of course) and do everything myself. This is really pissing me off that Samsung sends OTA "Update" (no funky business, no roots, stock phone) that basically turns it into a brick.
Yeah I hear you. In reality anything with Android 9 or higher is relatively secure unless you do something stupid. No saving dumb bunnies anyway...

During a production run Samsung will substitute smaller chipsets if needed. Their firmware instructions may inadvertently not be addressed by an update... and until Samsung realizes this by looking at the phones that got goofed up, no fixes for those effected. Not good especially if it's a low number of phones and that are out of warranty.
I don't trust firmware upgrades or updates🤣

trollsic

Feb 7, 2011
Anyone else? No one has this issue after latest update? Samsung forums have several owners who experience the same issue.
My wife's phone, same model after the latest update, but in her case can't make or receive calls, on AT&T (US).
Came here in the hope to find a solution. Don't want to reset or reflash, until absolutely necessary.
@sbi1 Did you manage to fix it?

sbi1

Oct 7, 2011
Boston area
My wife's phone, same model after the latest update, but in her case can't make or receive calls, on AT&T (US).
Came here in the hope to find a solution. Don't want to reset or reflash, until absolutely necessary.
@sbi1 Did you manage to fix it?
@trollsic - I did not, still not working.
Sent an "error report" to Samsung through the phone, the idiots got back to me saying it wasn't enough information and asked me to "replicate the issue".
I am afradi a reset and reflash is the only solution but like you I am reluctant to do that. Don't know if I'll be patient enough to wait for the next update, hoping it will fix it, or I'll just give up and reset.

stickman67

Jul 1, 2022
I am mainly a lurker here, but created an account to reply to this. I have two S21s (SM-991B/DS) which are XSP (Singapore) phones that were imported into the US and being used on AT&T. Both of them have a problem making or receiving phone calls after the June 1, 2022 patch level. I have sent the following to Samsung's security department after about 2 days worth of getting the run around from AT&T, Samsung, and XSP (Samsung got me in contact with XSP). Samsung keeps wanting me to send my phone in and won't transfer me to engineering or past first level support. I have decided to post this publicly due to helping the community, the future security implications, and Samsung's tech support seemingly not caring at all.

***** start - email sent to '[email protected]" *****
Samsung Security Team,

Hello, my name is <redacted> and I am a security professional. There currently is an issue with the June 1, 2022 patch level on certain S21s phones and I do not know who to talk to since I have been given the run around by my carrier (AT&T), Samsung 1st level support (US), and XSP (Singapore Telco provider). I have two S21s (model #SM-G991B/DS) and upon installing the June 1, 2022 patch level, the phones cannot make or receive phone calls. I have reflashed my phones via Odin3 to the May firmware image for my phone and it resolved the issue. I tried to re-apply the update and it re-produced the problem.

While this issue itself isn't a security issue, I do have to disable updates on my phones in order to not have a $900 brick in my hand. This becomes a security issue since my phones will not be receiving further updates since it breaks the phone and defeats the purpose of that phone (i.e. to make or receive calls). Essentially security is useless if the service is not functional - this is a core tenet and wire balancing act of information security.

I am hoping Samsung is interested in security and will look into this issue. I have spent about 2 days tracking down this issue and I can reproduce the problem.

Thank you,

<redacted>
***** end - email sent to '[email protected]" *****

I guess I will find out if the Mobile Security team even decides to reply back to me.

Reactions: sbi1

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
I am mainly a lurker here, but created an account to reply to this. I have two S21s (SM-991B/DS) which are XSP (Singapore) phones that were imported into the US and being used on AT&T. Both of them have a problem making or receiving phone calls after the June 1, 2022 patch level. I have sent the following to Samsung's security department after about 2 days worth of getting the run around from AT&T, Samsung, and XSP (Samsung got me in contact with XSP). Samsung keeps wanting me to send my phone in and won't transfer me to engineering or past first level support. I have decided to post this publicly due to helping the community, the future security implications, and Samsung's tech support seemingly not caring at all.

***** start - email sent to '[email protected]" *****
Samsung Security Team,

Hello, my name is <redacted> and I am a security professional. There currently is an issue with the June 1, 2022 patch level on certain S21s phones and I do not know who to talk to since I have been given the run around by my carrier (AT&T), Samsung 1st level support (US), and XSP (Singapore Telco provider). I have two S21s (model #SM-G991B/DS) and upon installing the June 1, 2022 patch level, the phones cannot make or receive phone calls. I have reflashed my phones via Odin3 to the May firmware image for my phone and it resolved the issue. I tried to re-apply the update and it re-produced the problem.

While this issue itself isn't a security issue, I do have to disable updates on my phones in order to not have a $900 brick in my hand. This becomes a security issue since my phones will not be receiving further updates since it breaks the phone and defeats the purpose of that phone (i.e. to make or receive calls). Essentially security is useless if the service is not functional - this is a core tenet and wire balancing act of information security.

I am hoping Samsung is interested in security and will look into this issue. I have spent about 2 days tracking down this issue and I can reproduce the problem.

Thank you,

<redacted>
***** end - email sent to '[email protected]" *****

I guess I will find out if the Mobile Security team even decides to reply back to me.
In spite of all the hype your device is likely reasonably secure as long as you don't do real stupid things. I wouldn't sweat it one bit...

stickman67

Jul 1, 2022
In spite of all the hype your device is likely reasonably secure as long as you don't do real stupid things. I wouldn't sweat it one bit...
While I don't disagree with you, I won't take that bet. I have been doing security for a very long time. In addition, the point was to get attention to the issue. Bad press due to a security issue that can be pointed back to something that was known about is not necessarily good for them....

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Let me tell you my saga about this problem. The last build my phone (SM-G996B/DS) worked correctly was G996BXXU5CVDD; after that I received the update G996BXXU5CVF1 it was when the AT&T voice call was broken. Call-in and call-out became impossible. After several talks to Samsung customer service and AT&T support I followed the ultimate option, "factory reset". No fix. The solution was:

1. Fallback to G996BXXU5CVDD using Samsung's tool.
    2. Using adb, uninstall two packages that cause requests for upgrade.
    That means; my phone reached the end of life about upgrades.
    There was another update G996BXXS5CVFB that did not fix the problem too.
    I've just received the August update for my unlocked non-US G998B/DS and it seems to have fixed the not receiving calls issue. I can now use my phone on LTE bands again without missing calls.
    This guy has been following this story and apparently the jewel of the crown, the brand new, S22, is also suffering from this problem after an update.
    It is astonishing that with all this publicity - and this is just one source - and especially now with the S22, that big tech Samsung isn't dropping everything out of their hands and work 24/7 until a fix update is released. It really should not take them more than a week. Absolutely ridiculous.
    Same thing happened to me with my unlocked S21+, but it's an SM-G996U1 in the USA. CVF1 broke text and calls. CVF5 failed to fix the problem. CVDC, the May patch, works perfectly, so I executed a forced downgrade and have been stuck without security updates until this gets resolved.

My carrier is helpless to fix the problem and has hundreds of other people with the same issue. Samsung is absolutely silent.
    Let me tell you my saga about this problem. The last build my phone (SM-G996B/DS) worked correctly was G996BXXU5CVDD; after that I received the update G996BXXU5CVF1 it was when the AT&T voice call was broken. Call-in and call-out became impossible. After several talks to Samsung customer service and AT&T support I followed the ultimate option, "factory reset". No fix. The solution was:

1. Fallback to G996BXXU5CVDD using Samsung's tool.
    2. Using adb, uninstall two packages that cause requests for upgrade.
    That means; my phone reached the end of life about upgrades.
    I've just received the August update for my unlocked non-US G998B/DS and it seems to have fixed the not receiving calls issue. I can now use my phone on LTE bands again without missing calls.
    Did you have to wipe your data / do a factory reset by downgrading?

Yes, and now the phone is working as it should, including receiving calls (pardon my sarcasm towards Samsung).
    I didn't "manually" reset the phone, just did a flash with ODIN and I did CSC insteadof HOME_CSC, this will wipe the device.
    I didn't get to disable updates via ADB yet.
    There was another update G996BXXS5CVFB that did not fix the problem too.
    1. Which exact version did you use?
    2. Can I downgrade without wiping or factory resetting the phone?
    3. Did you use CSC_HOME or CSC?
    4. Is there any "must-do" steps (other than full backup obviously) that should be done before downgrading? Like removing Google and Samsung accounts from the phone prior to downgrading.

Respectively,
    1. For my specific phones, I used 'G991BXXU5CVDD' dated 2022/05/10 on 'sammobile.com'. Something I noticed on my S21s, when I went into the download mode (phone off, plug in USB cable, then hold vol up & down and tap side button), the phone told me the carrier the phone is tied to (in red font no less). In my case this is XSP (Singapore). This might help you figure out exactly what firmware you are supposed to use.

2. I soft bricked one of my phones since I found out that Odin3 doesn't like *any* of my workstation's USB ports (Asrock TRX40 Taichi motherboard running a Threadripper 3970x). I tried a bunch of different ports and different USB cables (side note: I used the latest Samsung USB drivers). The download would start then fail at various points (seemingly never the same point). This actually ended up being my main time suck, otherwise I would have had a resolution much sooner. Switched to my laptop (Lenovo T480s) and it worked flawlessly as before with my S10s, S8s, etc. I fixed the soft brick error using FRP Hijacker.

Neither of the two phones did I do a wipe or factory reset, but I proceeded as if I was as to not have any data loss potential.

3. CSC.

4. Full backup via SmartSwitch and backing up chat history in Signal, Kakaotalk, and WhatsApp. After the firmware write, I did a full restore via SmartSwitch and then the respective chat history restores. Keep in mind this is my specific case. You might have other apps that need specific attention paid to past SmartSwitch.