SM-996B/DS - not receiving calls, probably as a result of latest update (G996BXXU5CVF3)

Search This thread

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
While I don't disagree with you, I won't take that bet. I have been doing security for a very long time. In addition, the point was to get attention to the issue. Bad press due to a security issue that can be pointed back to something that was known about is not necessarily good for them....
Anymore I'm more concerned with updates and especially upgrades breaking the phone than any malware. In 2 years updates have cost more then a few hours to troubleshoot, malware zero hours. The load on this N10+ is now over 2 yo; still fast, stable and still running happily on Pie. Good as it gets.

stickman67

Jul 1, 2022
Anymore I'm more concerned with updates and especially upgrades breaking the phone than any malware. In 2 years updates have cost more then a few hours to troubleshoot, malware zero hours. The load on this N10+ is now over 2 yo; still fast, stable and still running happily on Pie. Good as it gets.
Seems like your assumption is that compromise via malware is the only vector for attack. There are other ways. You get an IP address, you have an attack surface - hosted based firewall or not. Code is made by humans. Humans make mistakes. This has been repeated over and over again. I understand your stance on not trusting updates and such. Again, I do not necessarily disagree with your point. It is just not the stance I wish to take - to each and their own. Software supply chain security issues certainly exist (as do hardware). Look what happened with Bit9/Carbon Black (PKI compromise) or Solarwinds (malicious .dll injected into the official software package by a 3rd party).

I am not interested in debating the security implications - you have your opinion and I have mine. My point is to get a fix and quite frankly the fact that there isn't a reasonable escalation point to someone who actually has a technical understanding is underwhelming. Instead, they give people the run around. They have been given a method of reproduction. I don't know whether this is due to a specific hardware/software combination or not. Personally, in the security world, someone bringing something to my attention in this manner has always received appropriate attention/response, not a run around.

I know how the corporate risk game works with security. This is the reason I sent the email the way I did. Whether you agree or not, doesn't matter to me. Take it or leave it. I tried to contribute to the XDA ecosystem as best as I could and seemingly that isn't appreciated by everyone.

Peace - out

Reactions: blackhawk

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
Seems like your assumption is that compromise via malware is the only vector for attack. There are other ways. You get an IP address, you have an attack surface - hosted based firewall or not. Code is made by humans. Humans make mistakes. This has been repeated over and over again. I understand your stance on not trusting updates and such. Again, I do not necessarily disagree with your point. It is just not the stance I wish to take - to each and their own. Software supply chain security issues certainly exist (as do hardware). Look what happened with Bit9/Carbon Black (PKI compromise) or Solarwinds (malicious .dll injected into the official software package by a 3rd party).

I am not interested in debating the security implications - you have your opinion and I have mine. My point is to get a fix and quite frankly the fact that there isn't a reasonable escalation point to someone who actually has a technical understanding is underwhelming. Instead, they give people the run around. They have been given a method of reproduction. I don't know whether this is due to a specific hardware/software combination or not. Personally, in the security world, someone bringing something to my attention in this manner has always received appropriate attention/response, not a run around.

I know how the corporate risk game works with security. This is the reason I sent the email the way I did. Whether you agree or not, doesn't matter to me. Take it or leave it. I tried to contribute to the XDA ecosystem as best as I could and seemingly that isn't appreciated by everyone.

Peace - out
Quit correct; there are multiple attack vectors. Disabling wifi kills one... in reality a reload would cost me far less time then I already spent troubleshooting just app updates alone. Everything is redundantly backed up and secured so I would just lose the reload time which is only a few hours vs the thousands of hours of trouble free usage. Best bang for the buck; I use whatever comes in handy.

Samsung has been running into a lot of issues with upgrades and updates as has even the Pixels. Maybe this is a blessing in disguise for you. Eventually Samsung will straighten it out.
Be patient... and when it does roll out, let Mikey eat it first!🤣

sbi1

Oct 7, 2011
Boston area
I am mainly a lurker here, but created an account to reply to this. I have two S21s (SM-991B/DS) which are XSP (Singapore) phones that were imported into the US and being used on AT&T. Both of them have a problem making or receiving phone calls after the June 1, 2022 patch level. I have sent the following to Samsung's security department after about 2 days worth of getting the run around from AT&T, Samsung, and XSP (Samsung got me in contact with XSP). Samsung keeps wanting me to send my phone in and won't transfer me to engineering or past first level support. I have decided to post this publicly due to helping the community, the future security implications, and Samsung's tech support seemingly not caring at all.

***** start - email sent to '[email protected]" *****
Samsung Security Team,

Hello, my name is <redacted> and I am a security professional. There currently is an issue with the June 1, 2022 patch level on certain S21s phones and I do not know who to talk to since I have been given the run around by my carrier (AT&T), Samsung 1st level support (US), and XSP (Singapore Telco provider). I have two S21s (model #SM-G991B/DS) and upon installing the June 1, 2022 patch level, the phones cannot make or receive phone calls. I have reflashed my phones via Odin3 to the May firmware image for my phone and it resolved the issue. I tried to re-apply the update and it re-produced the problem.

While this issue itself isn't a security issue, I do have to disable updates on my phones in order to not have a $900 brick in my hand. This becomes a security issue since my phones will not be receiving further updates since it breaks the phone and defeats the purpose of that phone (i.e. to make or receive calls). Essentially security is useless if the service is not functional - this is a core tenet and wire balancing act of information security.

I am hoping Samsung is interested in security and will look into this issue. I have spent about 2 days tracking down this issue and I can reproduce the problem.

Thank you,

<redacted>
***** end - email sent to '[email protected]" *****

I guess I will find out if the Mobile Security team even decides to reply back to me.

Thank you @stickman67 .
I also sent them an email with slightly different wording, I think it is important that someone in Samsung - security, HR or R&D, I don't care who - will hear from as many people as possible about this problem.

Also:

Since my phone is from Guatemal (purchased on Amazon, but use it in the US with US and Israeli SIMs) I went to the Guatemala Samsung web site two days ago and emailed both support and the CEO (there are two options to email them). I am not sure if there is an option like this in all Samsung regions but you should try.

Yesterday morning I received an email response from support with the usual b.s., part of which was "Remember this is a Beta version so expect issues...."
No, it's not a beta version, it is official Android 12 with an OTA update that Samsung sent.

Then yesterday afternoon I received a call (on the working Samsung....always keep the old phone) from Samsung Mexico. They received my email to the CEO.
Long story short, he wanted me to go to a Samsung support center or send the phone, I said my phone is from S. America, US Support won't help. He then suggested shipping it to support in S. America. He also mentioned the Beta version that was mentioned in the Support response.
I stopped him right away and made it clear that this was not a beta version but an official rom that Samsung pushed. He did not argue and said he would escalate it to his supervisors. I asked him to make it clear that there are many users like me that are having the same issue after the recent update and also to emphasize that this is not a beta version, and that Samsung should release an urgent update in an attempt to fix the issue.

Bottom line - try to go to your respective phone's Samsung web site and try to communicate the message the same way. The more they hear from us, the faster we 'might' have a solution.

trollsic

Feb 7, 2011

Peace - out

For me, your input is greatly appreciated! Much more detailed and informative than I found anywhere till this moment.
The very thing that you went through replicating the issue by downgrading, checking that it works on the previous version, and then applying the latest update to verify that issue comes back, is already MUCH more than anyone else suggested (not discarding anyone's attempt to help to fix the issue, all help is welcome).
For that, I personally thank you!
Now, for the interesting part, could you please add more info about the downgrade?
1. Which exact version did you use?
2. Can I downgrade without wiping or factory resetting the phone?
3. Did you use CSC_HOME or CSC?
4. Is there any "must-do" steps (other than full backup obviously) that should be done before downgrading? Like removing Google and Samsung accounts from the phone prior to downgrading.

stickman67

Jul 1, 2022
4. Is there any "must-do" steps (other than full backup obviously) that should be done before downgrading? Like removing Google and Samsung accounts from the phone prior to downgrading.

Respectively,
1. For my specific phones, I used 'G991BXXU5CVDD' dated 2022/05/10 on 'sammobile.com'. Something I noticed on my S21s, when I went into the download mode (phone off, plug in USB cable, then hold vol up & down and tap side button), the phone told me the carrier the phone is tied to (in red font no less). In my case this is XSP (Singapore). This might help you figure out exactly what firmware you are supposed to use.

2. I soft bricked one of my phones since I found out that Odin3 doesn't like *any* of my workstation's USB ports (Asrock TRX40 Taichi motherboard running a Threadripper 3970x). I tried a bunch of different ports and different USB cables (side note: I used the latest Samsung USB drivers). The download would start then fail at various points (seemingly never the same point). This actually ended up being my main time suck, otherwise I would have had a resolution much sooner. Switched to my laptop (Lenovo T480s) and it worked flawlessly as before with my S10s, S8s, etc. I fixed the soft brick error using FRP Hijacker.

Neither of the two phones did I do a wipe or factory reset, but I proceeded as if I was as to not have any data loss potential.

3. CSC.

4. Full backup via SmartSwitch and backing up chat history in Signal, Kakaotalk, and WhatsApp. After the firmware write, I did a full restore via SmartSwitch and then the respective chat history restores. Keep in mind this is my specific case. You might have other apps that need specific attention paid to past SmartSwitch.

Reactions: trollsic and sbi1

jfperez05

Feb 17, 2014
I am in Australia using a SM-991B model with XSA firmware. 5G, VoLTE/ Wi-fi Calling stopped working after latest June update. Note that after I reboot my phone, VOLTE 5G/4G works fine again. But if I go into flight mode, or lose 5G/4G signal and phone switches to 3G for whatever reason then back to 4G/5G, VOLTE/Wi-Fi Calling will no longer works until I completly restart my phone.

I understand in the US some providers have switched off 3G network and therefore calls will only work on 3G VOLTE compatible devices. Would this be somehow be related to the issue you're experiencing? I wonder..

sbi1

Oct 7, 2011
Boston area
I am in Australia using a SM-991B model with XSA firmware. 5G, VoLTE/ Wi-fi Calling stopped working after latest June update. Note that after I reboot my phone, VOLTE 5G/4G works fine again. But if I go into flight mode, or lose 5G/4G signal and phone switches to 3G for whatever reason then back to 4G/5G, VOLTE/Wi-Fi Calling will no longer works until I completly restart my phone.

I understand in the US some providers have switched off 3G network and therefore calls will only work on 3G VOLTE compatible devices. Would this be somehow be related to the issue you're experiencing? I wonder..

I believe that's a different issue.

jfperez05

Feb 17, 2014
I have rolled back to the May firmware and I can confirm I am no longer experiencing my previous reported issue. This means there is definitely a problem with the latest update.

Reactions: sbi1

Wrafas

Jul 4, 2022
I am experiencing the exact same issue on my S21 Exynos. Since the June update I cannot receive phone calls any more. No issue with making the calls myself and no issues with texting.

I really hope this can be fixed without having to erase the data on the phone.

sbi1

Oct 7, 2011
Boston area
If Samsung (all regions, all countries) don't hear from us, they won't know. Please communicate this issue to Samsung in your respective country (email, chat, phone call, etc). When they offer to "troubleshoot" tell them we alread have, we just want to bring this to your attention and ask to escalate it.

jfperez05

Feb 17, 2014
Unfortunatley my issue where VoLTE / WiFi Calling stops working (until I completly reboot my device) has come back again on my S21 a day after it was working perfectly fine with the May 22 firmware.

The last thing I remember I did was to update some apps on Galaxy Store. Would it possible that something there is causing the issue?

I have rolled back to the May firmware and I can confirm I am no longer experiencing my previous reported issue. This means there is definitely a problem with the latest update.

sbi1

Oct 7, 2011
Boston area
Unfortunatley my issue where VoLTE / WiFi Calling stops working (until I completly reboot my device) has come back again on my S21 a day after it was working perfectly fine with the May 22 firmware.

The last thing I remember I did was to update some apps on Galaxy Store. Would it possible that something there is causing the issue?
Could be. Is there a way to see update history in Galaxy Store?

Furious Froyo

May 29, 2020
Samsung Galaxy S21

I rolled back to May and it's been fine for over 24 hours now. However, I never update Samsung apps.

Reactions: jfperez05

jfperez05

Feb 17, 2014
There is a new firmware version available for BTE/BTB which was recently launched. Not sure if that would have any fix. I will have to test that one and see how it goes.

Furious Froyo

May 29, 2020
Samsung Galaxy S21
I rolled back to May and it's been fine for over 24 hours now. However, I never update Samsung apps.
I'm still on May [CVDC, S21] and I haven't had an issue. I can confirm, with about 99% surety, that the latest patch is the issue. I've decided that I'll only manually update my device from this point on. I've completely disabled [via ADB] the update process on the device.

Its Ya Boii

Apr 21, 2018
Athens
I'm having the same problems, except my data will also go in and out. It shows 5G but no actual bars. I did find a temporary work around that helped me!
1. Open Settings
2. Click "Connections" then "Mobile Networks."
3. Turn off "Network Operators" and choose your carrier. (My case was T-Mobile)
You'll have to do this a couple times a day I found out. It seems to me like something is causing it to stop being registered by the network but idk. I'm going to try doing a Cache reset through recovery tomorrow to see if that makes a difference.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I received July's update this morning (BTU). Was optimistic at first but the optimism went away when I clicked on "What's new" and the only thing that was listed was "The security of your device has improved".
    After install and reboot, sure enough as reported before me, Samsung did not fix the problem, so now I am backing up and will fresh flash May firmware.
    I am still on the fence about disabling auto updates. I don't really have to update even when they push them, the only 'annoyance' is the repeated notifications. We'll see.

To me, the really frustrating thing is not that the update screwed my phone. $%^& happens, I get it...it shouldn't have, but it happens.
    The one thing I am pissed about is that Samsung just don't listen and evern worse - there's no one to talk to. You call the US (because you are in the US), they tell you "oh, no, this is a UK phone, we can't help". You call the UK - "Sorry, you are in the US, you need to call Samsung where you are". You try to explain to them that hundreds if not thousands of people are having the same issue with different models, they insist on walk you through the usual bull$%^& of turning airplan mode on/off, etc.
    I emailed Samsung, they received the email because they responded and also called me and confirmed that they read what I reported - but it falls on deaf ears. They just don't care.
    Did you have to wipe your data / do a factory reset by downgrading?

Yes, and now the phone is working as it should, including receiving calls (pardon my sarcasm towards Samsung).
    I didn't "manually" reset the phone, just did a flash with ODIN and I did CSC insteadof HOME_CSC, this will wipe the device.
    I didn't get to disable updates via ADB yet.
    This guy has been following this story and apparently the jewel of the crown, the brand new, S22, is also suffering from this problem after an update.
    It is astonishing that with all this publicity - and this is just one source - and especially now with the S22, that big tech Samsung isn't dropping everything out of their hands and work 24/7 until a fix update is released. It really should not take them more than a week. Absolutely ridiculous.
    There was another update G996BXXS5CVFB that did not fix the problem too.
    Let me tell you my saga about this problem. The last build my phone (SM-G996B/DS) worked correctly was G996BXXU5CVDD; after that I received the update G996BXXU5CVF1 it was when the AT&T voice call was broken. Call-in and call-out became impossible. After several talks to Samsung customer service and AT&T support I followed the ultimate option, "factory reset". No fix. The solution was:

1. Fallback to G996BXXU5CVDD using Samsung's tool.
    2. Using adb, uninstall two packages that cause requests for upgrade.
    That means; my phone reached the end of life about upgrades.
    Let me tell you my saga about this problem. The last build my phone (SM-G996B/DS) worked correctly was G996BXXU5CVDD; after that I received the update G996BXXU5CVF1 it was when the AT&T voice call was broken. Call-in and call-out became impossible. After several talks to Samsung customer service and AT&T support I followed the ultimate option, "factory reset". No fix. The solution was:

1. Fallback to G996BXXU5CVDD using Samsung's tool.
    2. Using adb, uninstall two packages that cause requests for upgrade.
    That means; my phone reached the end of life about upgrades.
    Did you have to wipe your data / do a factory reset by downgrading?

Yes, and now the phone is working as it should, including receiving calls (pardon my sarcasm towards Samsung).
    I didn't "manually" reset the phone, just did a flash with ODIN and I did CSC insteadof HOME_CSC, this will wipe the device.
    I didn't get to disable updates via ADB yet.
    There was another update G996BXXS5CVFB that did not fix the problem too.

Respectively,
    1. For my specific phones, I used 'G991BXXU5CVDD' dated 2022/05/10 on 'sammobile.com'. Something I noticed on my S21s, when I went into the download mode (phone off, plug in USB cable, then hold vol up & down and tap side button), the phone told me the carrier the phone is tied to (in red font no less). In my case this is XSP (Singapore). This might help you figure out exactly what firmware you are supposed to use.

2. I soft bricked one of my phones since I found out that Odin3 doesn't like *any* of my workstation's USB ports (Asrock TRX40 Taichi motherboard running a Threadripper 3970x). I tried a bunch of different ports and different USB cables (side note: I used the latest Samsung USB drivers). The download would start then fail at various points (seemingly never the same point). This actually ended up being my main time suck, otherwise I would have had a resolution much sooner. Switched to my laptop (Lenovo T480s) and it worked flawlessly as before with my S10s, S8s, etc. I fixed the soft brick error using FRP Hijacker.

Neither of the two phones did I do a wipe or factory reset, but I proceeded as if I was as to not have any data loss potential.

3. CSC.

4. Full backup via SmartSwitch and backing up chat history in Signal, Kakaotalk, and WhatsApp. After the firmware write, I did a full restore via SmartSwitch and then the respective chat history restores. Keep in mind this is my specific case. You might have other apps that need specific attention paid to past SmartSwitch.
    I received July's update this morning (BTU). Was optimistic at first but the optimism went away when I clicked on "What's new" and the only thing that was listed was "The security of your device has improved".
    After install and reboot, sure enough as reported before me, Samsung did not fix the problem, so now I am backing up and will fresh flash May firmware.
    I am still on the fence about disabling auto updates. I don't really have to update even when they push them, the only 'annoyance' is the repeated notifications. We'll see.

To me, the really frustrating thing is not that the update screwed my phone. $%^& happens, I get it...it shouldn't have, but it happens.
    The one thing I am pissed about is that Samsung just don't listen and evern worse - there's no one to talk to. You call the US (because you are in the US), they tell you "oh, no, this is a UK phone, we can't help". You call the UK - "Sorry, you are in the US, you need to call Samsung where you are". You try to explain to them that hundreds if not thousands of people are having the same issue with different models, they insist on walk you through the usual bull$%^& of turning airplan mode on/off, etc.
    I emailed Samsung, they received the email because they responded and also called me and confirmed that they read what I reported - but it falls on deaf ears. They just don't care.