How To Guide SM-F926B ONLY!! Android 12 update and ROOT GUIDE - BVA9 rooted firmware provided - if you missed the good news, camera works :)

Search This thread

frwerewolf

Jan 12, 2013
Hi All!!

I have edited this thread to show an initial guide into rooting android 12

Before you start, download "ODIN_A12_F926B_BUL6.7z" from HERE

THIS IS FOR F926B ONLY

PLEASE NOTE THAT WE DO NOT HAVE A FULLY FUNCTIONAL TWRP SO WE NEED TO FLASH BL FROM A11 FIRST!!

The process is semi-complicated and requires knowledge of basic adb and YOU MUST HAVE ADB INSTALLED BEFORE TRYING THIS

PLEASE NOTE FURTHER THAT THIS WILL KILL YOUR DATA SO PLEASE BACK UP FIRST

I will be supplying in a .7z:

- 1st_Odin_Flash_&_ROOT.7z - this contains BL_AUJ7.tar (essential to get TWRP working), AP_F926B_BUL6_exo.tar (this will upgrade the main system bits to A12 along with CP and HOMECSC), Stock CP and HOMECSC & finally the correct and working magisk to use for root -> this must be flashed in TWRP for the phone to boot rooted DESPITE the AP being magisk patched

- 2nd_Odin_Flash_Rec&BL.7z - this contains the BUL6 A12 bootloader in BL_BUL6.tar and the stock BUL6 recovery in AP_Stock-recovery_F926B_BUL6.tar

PROCESS
- STARTING ON STOCK A11 is recommended

1 - Unzip from the main .7z supplied and extract 1st_Odin_Flash_&_ROOT.7z & connect phone to PC (please ensure dev settings are enabled and that you have unlocked bootloader and checked "Oem unlock" is faded out under dev settings)

2 - load ODIN on PC and disable AUTO Reboot - Next load BL_AUJ7.tar in BL, AP_F926B_BUL6_exo.tar in AP, Stock CP in CP and Stock HOMECSC in CSC

3 - Click start to flash the files - when completed, keeping phone connected to PC, press and hold power and volume down and as soon as the screen turns off, press and hold vol up and power UNTIL in TWRP - Hopefully as we have flashed the a11 bootloader, touchscreen still works

4 - Head to the TWRP wipe menu and format device (type yes and press enter) - then reboot TWRP

5 - when TWRP has rebooted, go to the mounts menu and disable MTP -> this will allow us to send app-debug.zip (magisk) to your sdcard

6 - copy app-debug.zip to your adb folder and then open a command window and first confirm adb is working by typing adb devices you should see your device listed and "recovery" next to the device in command window - this means adb is working

7 - type adb push app-debug.zip /sdcard this should send the app-debug.zip to internal storage (or sdcard if you prefer) - go to the TWRP flash menu and you should see this app-debug.zip, flash it to root your A12 device

8 - as stated previously, i have disabled encryption therefore we just need to boot STRAIGHT to Download mode (with phone connected to PC) and load the contents of the second .7z, 2nd_Odin_Flash_Rec&BL.7z -> AP needs AP_Stock-recovery_F926B_BUL6.tar and BL needs BL_BUL6.tar - flash the files :)

9 - once the flash is complete, keeping phone connected to PC, press and hold power and volume down and as soon as the screen turns off, press and hold vol up and power UNTIL in stock recovery (it might take a while and reboot once)

10 - In stock recovery, select "Reboot to system" and let phone start up - you should now see a magisk stub in the app drawer meaning you are rooted :p
Hello
seems that i am Rooted !!!
I followed the exact guide and it worked
I have questions:
The channel in Magisk is canary ?
I have no module to install in magsik even if i use stable channel
Can you help me with this please ?

Thanks a lot

frwerewolf

Jan 12, 2013
Hello
seems that i am Rooted !!!
I followed the exact guide and it worked
I have questions:
The channel in Magisk is canary ?
I have no module to install in magsik even if i use stable channel
Can you help me with this please ?

Thanks a lot

No answer as often here

Anywaus, for whom is interrested, i found a way by downloading the zip files directly from Github and installing it via MAgisk with "install from internal drive" option. But finally i found out that a lot of apps i wanted to use with magisk and edxposed are not compatible with android 12, like instaprefs for example (that was almost the only one i needed)..

• Haha
Reactions: exocetdj

exocetdj

Dec 2, 2011
Jah's making me crazy
No answer as often here

Anywaus, for whom is interrested, i found a way by downloading the zip files directly from Github and installing it via MAgisk with "install from internal drive" option. But finally i found out that a lot of apps i wanted to use with magisk and edxposed are not compatible with android 12, like instaprefs for example (that was almost the only one i needed)..
Turns out a lot of us have lives outside xda so the time i have to answer queries is pretty minimal with everything else i have going on.

Let alone queries about a now defunct magisk feature such as is the module repository - google it and you'll find out what happened to it - its been gone a while on alpha releases. - i do not maintain magisk - this firmware merely utilizes it so ask them!!

So yes - going to the module github pages and downloading them from there is the obvious course of action to take now

Last edited:

pvillasuso

frwerewolf

Jan 12, 2013
Turns out a lot of us have lives outside xda so the time i have to answer queries is pretty minimal with everything else i have going on.

Let alone queries about a now defunct magisk feature such as is the module repository - google it and you'll find out what happened to it - its been gone a while on alpha releases. - i do not maintain magisk - this firmware merely utilizes it so ask them!!

So yes - going to the module github pages and downloading them from there is the obvious course of action to take now
OK thanks a lot for all your work

Now everything works even instaprefs in lsposed. 👍👍

Apart from that :
I found out yesterday (I'm sure it was not like this at the beginning) that in the photo gallery I cannot share any picture with any app. As soon as I choose the share icon, the gallery stops and exit
I still can share files from inside other apps and it works. But no more in the gallery.. What do you think ?

白い熊

Aug 29, 2011
相撲道
OK thanks a lot for all your work

Now everything works even instaprefs in lsposed. 👍👍

Apart from that :
I found out yesterday (I'm sure it was not like this at the beginning) that in the photo gallery I cannot share any picture with any app. As soon as I choose the share icon, the gallery stops and exit
I still can share files from inside other apps and it works. But no more in the gallery.. What do you think ?
If you decrypt /data sharing is borked now on A12 thanks to Samsung. @exocetdj is still investigating a workaround for this.

The only solution is - flash back stock, recovery - wipe /data - this'll encrypt it again and your sharing will work.

frwerewolf

Jan 12, 2013
Oh I have no strengh for this.. I just finished to configure all my apps with my accounts, my password and so on.. 🤣
And it's only in the Samsung gallery that it doesn't work. For example from Google photos app or from any file browser, it works fine.. Weird isnt'it ?

The only New thing I did yesterday before I found out the problem with gallery was to download and install cscfeatures zip posted by @exocetdj in this thread. Once installed I didn't found out how to use it.. So I remove it from magisk assuming that its script would be removed automatically.
That's all.
But I think my problem with gallery has nothing to do with that.

exocetdj

Dec 2, 2011
Jah's making me crazy
F926B users - rooted firmware is now here

This time round i have cooked in @Andrei1973 's WSM fix so no need for any modules to keep wearable pairings (cheers as always mate :) )

Rebased to BUL8 firmware and including A7 TWRP from IanMacD

Removed forrceencrypt and have also used df18bcf5 Magisk Alpha build (aka app-debug.zip) attached to this post for flashing in TWRP

Update procedure

1 reboot to download and load Odin

2 Load the Odin files and uncheck "Auto reboot"

3 Reboot straight to TWRP (remember the button combos!)

4 ONLY IF YOU HAVENT GOT MAGISK ON INTERNAL STORAGE - check that MTP is disabled and copy app-debug.zip to adb folder then in CMD window "adb push app-debug.zip /sdcard"

5 - Flash the app-debug.zip and then reboot to system from TWRP power menu

You will boot rooted, updated and with intact data if all the steps above are followed correctly

Attachments

• app-debug.zip
    16.6 MB · Views: 15

frwerewolf

Jan 12, 2013

This time round i have cooked in @Andrei1973 's WSM fix so no need for any modules to keep wearable pairings (cheers as always mate :) )

Removed forrceencrypt and have also used df18bcf5 Magisk Alpha build (aka app-debug.zip) attached to this post for flashing in TWRP

Update procedure

4 ONLY IF YOU HAVENT GOT MAGISK ON INTERNAL STORAGE - check that MTP is disabled and copy app-debug.zip to adb folder then in CMD window "adb push app-debug.zip /sdcard"

You will boot rooted, updated and with intact data if all the steps above are followed correctly
Is there any advantage to use this procedure after having rooted the fold with your first one ?
Anyways this one is really cool and much more easy . thanks

frwerewolf

Jan 12, 2013

Update procedure

if we have app-debug.zip already on the storage, we skip point 4 but we flash it again then, as said in point 5 ? is this correct ?

milkychipz

Apr 11, 2013
Thanks for your effort and for uploading the BUL8 files and guide

I've been waiting for the BUL8 guide to try again but I'm still having the same issue as the old guide which is that I can't access twrp with the hardware buttons on step 3.

3 - Click start to flash the files - when completed, keeping phone connected to PC, press and hold power and volume down and as soon as the screen turns off, press and hold vol up and power UNTIL in TWRP

All that happens is that after holding vol down and power for 7 seconds, and then holding power and vol up the phone reboots to the 'unlocked bootloader' warning screen and stays there until power is pressed. Then the samsung and android boot screen shows up and it hangs there (can't boot to OS) - so I can't use adb reboot bootloader.

I've tried flashing the files from the original guide, tried the twrp AP posted by pvillasuso, tried the new files, tried pretty much everything.

My bootloader is unlocked, USB debugging is on, and I was on stock Android 12 on an Australian SM-F926B. Odin v3.14.1 dl'd from XDA

Luckily the new files don't wipe any data so I just rebooted to download and flashed stock A12 again to fix the bootloop. But still no root unfortunately.

Side note; crazy that this is my first post in 9 years, xda is very nostalgic for me, it's just been a while since I've cared to root Android phones, and I was with iPhone for a bit. It's all coming back to me though, and seems like some things don't change.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi All!!

This thread will now contain pre rooted Odin files for F926B users to flash and update

Before you start, download "420rom_F926B_BVA9_Odin_EUY.zip" from HERE

THIS IS FOR F926B ONLY

The process requires knowledge of basic adb and YOU MUST HAVE ADB INSTALLED BEFORE TRYING THIS

This will no longer wipe data but it is advisable to backup first anyway - i wont be responsible for any data lost that could have been backed up ;)

PROCESS to update from rooted a11 or a12

1 - Unzip the 4 odin files from the zip provided in the link above & connect phone to PC

2 - load ODIN on PC and disable AUTO Reboot - Next load BL.tar in BL, AP.tar in AP, Stock CP in CP and Stock HOMECSC in CSC

3 - Click start to flash the files - when completed, keeping phone connected to PC, press and hold power and volume down and as soon as the screen turns off, press and hold vol up and power UNTIL in TWRP

4 - Head to the TWRP mount menu disable MTP

5 - ONLY IF YOU DONT HAVE A MAGISK.ZIP ON INTERNAL STORAGE copy app-debug.zip to your adb folder and then open a command window and first confirm adb is working by typing adb devices you should see your device listed and "recovery" next to the device in command window - this means adb is working - type adb push app-debug.zip /sdcard this should send the app-debug.zip to internal storage (or sdcard if you prefer)

6 - go to the TWRP flash menu and you should see the app-debug.zip, flash it to root your A12 device - this needs to be done everytime TWRP is flashed in Odin it seems

7 - reboot to system from TWRP power menu

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PROCESS IF COMING FROM STOCK A12

1 - Unzip the 4 odin files from the zip provided in the link above & connect phone to PC (please ensure dev settings are enabled and that you have unlocked bootloader and checked "Oem unlock" is faded out under dev settings)

2 - load ODIN on PC and disable AUTO Reboot - Next load BL.tar in BL, AP.tar in AP, Stock CP in CP and Stock HOMECSC in CSC

4 - Head to the TWRP wipe menu and format device (type yes and press enter) - then reboot TWRP

5 - when TWRP has rebooted, go to the mounts menu and disable MTP -> this will allow us to send app-debug.zip (magisk) to your sdcard

6 - copy app-debug.zip to your adb folder and then open a command window and first confirm adb is working by typing adb devices you should see your device listed and "recovery" next to the device in command window - this means adb is working

7 - type adb push app-debug.zip /sdcard this should send the app-debug.zip to internal storage (or sdcard if you prefer) - go to the TWRP flash menu and you should see this app-debug.zip, flash it to root your A12 device

8 - as stated previously, i have disabled encryption therefore we just need to boot STRAIGHT to SYSTEM from the TWRP POWER MENU

9 -When phone reboots, set up as normal and you should now see a magisk stub in the app drawer meaning you are rooted :p
    @exocetdj
    I have the same problem with the Gallery, also, when trying to send an image or a video in Telegram I get an error and when using Sync I cant watch videos and images. Maybe it has something to do with storage permission.
    No – this has to do with decrypting /data – I've confirmed this on my setup – you won't be able to get it working after formatting /data in TWRP. BTW you will also not be able to use Dex on your setup like this. That's a gift from Samsung to us.

The only way to overcome this currently is like I have done:

- Follow @exocetdj guide up to and including flashing the Magisk apk in TWRP.
    - From TWRP, reboot to Download mode.
    - In Odin disable autoreboot and flash Stock recovery, you have to make a tar for this from the stock firmware AP, just keep the recovery file in the tar.
    - Reboot to recovery via the key combo in the guide.
    - In stock recovery now, format /data again - this will encrypt it.

Now reboot, you'll set up the system again and you'll have root, sharing will work, Dex will work etc.

However you won't have TWRP. It's possible to flash just the TWRP recovery again after this without formatting /data however without accessible /data it's mostly useless.
    ok no progress on Dex today from my end - seems to be a commonn issue and @abun880007 reported an error message stating that dex wouldn't work due to a modded system

on a side note i have disabled WSM which means watch pairings remain on reboot - this was a fix in my rom already but module dependant meaning that watch pairings would go even if the module was disabled- thanks to @starbucks2010 for the wsm fix as always

ill upload a new firmware tonight with this fix and it has been based on BTB (no difference to MSR firmware as is OXM)

Update procedure

Killing the camera after unlocking the bootloader is a stupid and crappy move by Samsung.
    I remember, oh so long ago, when Samsung actually supported us here on XDA, found quite a large number of things done by devs here suddenly appearing on their "next big thing", then they quietly withdrew their support and went over to the dark side of the Apple-verse.