How To Guide SM-F926B ONLY!! Android 12 update and ROOT GUIDE - BVA9 rooted firmware provided - if you missed the good news, camera works :)

Search This thread

exocetdj

Dec 2, 2011
Jah's making me crazy
Thanks for your effort and for uploading the BUL8 files and guide

I've been waiting for the BUL8 guide to try again but I'm still having the same issue as the old guide which is that I can't access twrp with the hardware buttons on step 3.

All that happens is that after holding vol down and power for 7 seconds, and then holding power and vol up the phone reboots to the 'unlocked bootloader' warning screen and stays there until power is pressed. Then the samsung and android boot screen shows up and it hangs there (can't boot to OS) - so I can't use adb reboot bootloader.

I've tried flashing the files from the original guide, tried the twrp AP posted by pvillasuso, tried the new files, tried pretty much everything.

My bootloader is unlocked, USB debugging is on, and I was on stock Android 12 on an Australian SM-F926B. Odin v3.14.1 dl'd from XDA

Luckily the new files don't wipe any data so I just rebooted to download and flashed stock A12 again to fix the bootloop. But still no root unfortunately.

Side note; crazy that this is my first post in 9 years, xda is very nostalgic for me, it's just been a while since I've cared to root Android phones, and I was with iPhone for a bit. It's all coming back to me though, and seems like some things don't change.
you need to keep phone connected to PC to boot into TWRP with the button combos - this has been a thing since android 11 so you probably missed the boat on the news if you were out the scene a while :)

Reactions: milkychipz

milkychipz

Apr 11, 2013
you need to keep phone connected to PC to boot into TWRP with the button combos - this has been a thing since android 11 so you probably missed the boat on the news if you were out the scene a while :)
I've been following that step - I just leave the cable connected after flashing in Odin. One time I tried unplugging, replugging then waiting. Windows 10 bootcamped on a Mbp, maybe the USB-C is an issue, I'll try all this on my desktop and let you know if there's any difference.

L1nk27

Jul 2, 2016
My Fold 3 just arrived and i want to root it.
I just updated it to the latest version Samsung offers me OTA. My AP ends with BUL6 is it okay to flash BUL8 over it?
I just don't get it what the last digits mean :D

EDIT: When i understand that right, BUL8 is just a newer build right? Maybe Samsung does not have released it now in Germany :D
EDIT2: Ok i just flashed the BUL8 over the BUL6 and it works :)

Last edited:

milkychipz

Apr 11, 2013
I've been following that step - I just leave the cable connected after flashing in Odin. One time I tried unplugging, replugging then waiting. Windows 10 bootcamped on a Mbp, maybe the USB-C is an issue, I'll try all this on my desktop and let you know if there's any difference.
Okay so was about to come back again and say it didn't work on my desktop but I feel so stupid! Argh!

I noticed a bit of blue on the inside screen when I turned the device to hold vol up and down so I opened it (for the first time in all the time I've been trying, lol) and there it is, TWRP in all its glory, with the cover screen still just showing the Samsung logo.

It must have also booted to TWRP every single time I tried previously, I just stupidly never noticed because I never once thought to open the inside screen.

So there's a big tip - DO EVERYTHING ON THE INSIDE FOLDING SCREEN, NOT THE COVER SCREEN!!

Rooted, followed the guide to the letter and it worked perfect, thanks so much exo!

exocetdj

Dec 2, 2011
Jah's making me crazy
Okay so was about to come back again and say it didn't work on my desktop but I feel so stupid! Argh!

I noticed a bit of blue on the inside screen when I turned the device to hold vol up and down so I opened it (for the first time in all the time I've been trying, lol) and there it is, TWRP in all its glory, with the cover screen still just showing the Samsung logo.

It must have also booted to TWRP every single time I tried previously, I just stupidly never noticed because I never once thought to open the inside screen.

So there's a big tip - DO EVERYTHING ON THE INSIDE FOLDING SCREEN, NOT THE COVER SCREEN!!

Rooted, followed the guide to the letter and it worked perfect, thanks so much exo!
LMFAAAAAAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!

Yeah that got me too mate :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: milkychipz

jsbutran

Jan 3, 2006
Sorry but I need help with 2 issues before I root:

1.I have A11 Australian OPS/XSA CSC Fold 3 non rooted. Do I need to follow the same procedure and update to A12 and root using the rooted firmware provided.

2. Can I put Indian HomeCSC from the Indian Fold 3 firmware on my Australian fold 3. Will that be OK.

frwerewolf

Jan 12, 2013
I updated to BUL8 Thanks a lot for this brilliant method. Everything is fine and working like before. Only the software version number has changed. Didnt loose or have to reconfigure anything. Top !!!

ps: by the way sharing from gallery app still doesnt work. Sharing works with any other app. But not with samsung gallery anymore.
Is there a way to remove gallery and reinstall it ? i didnt find how. The system doesnt let you desactivated or uninstall or install another version above

icinchy

Dec 18, 2011
If on A11 unrooted can you go straight to this A12 version? Also has anyone with an Australian device confirm if this has worked for them?

Nov 27, 2016
I have a problem, I was already on BUL6 (rooted) and I wanted to upgrade to the last version BUL8,
but now I only get a white screen at first boot during first setup where it should ask for language etc.
After the last reboot (last step on the guide) the phone didn't boot to system but hang on the screen
with the alert sign, I had to force reboot pressing vol down + power and only then it booted with the
white screen.
I reverted to BUL6 but now I get the same problem, the only thing that works now is stock rom from
samfirm/frija, the rom is the last one avaiable with A12 F926BXXS1BUL8.
What did I do wrong? How can I fix this problem?
Thanks

Nov 27, 2016
I have a problem, I was already on BUL6 (rooted) and I wanted to upgrade to the last version BUL8,
but now I only get a white screen at first boot during first setup where it should ask for language etc.
After the last reboot (last step on the guide) the phone didn't boot to system but hang on the screen
with the alert sign, I had to force reboot pressing vol down + power and only then it booted with the
white screen.
I reverted to BUL6 but now I get the same problem, the only thing that works now is stock rom from
samfirm/frija, the rom is the last one avaiable with A12 F926BXXS1BUL8.
What did I do wrong? How can I fix this problem?
Thanks
Has anybody encounter this problem? @exocetdj any ideas? thank you

Nov 27, 2016
sorry i have not seen or heard of this one - i'd backup data and apps and start fresh from stock and reroot
Hi, this is what I've already done, I started from stock but that's the only rom that is working right now.
If I try to install your stock rooted rom it gives me that white screen.
Is there a way to see if something is left inside the phone from the previous root?
Shouldn't be enough to flash the stock rom to start from scratch?

pvillasuso

Hi, this is what I've already done, I started from stock but that's the only rom that is working right now.
If I try to install your stock rooted rom it gives me that white screen.
Is there a way to see if something is left inside the phone from the previous root?
Shouldn't be enough to flash the stock rom to start from scratch?
Go to stock recovery , and do a factory reset ( format ) from there

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi All!!

This thread will now contain pre rooted Odin files for F926B users to flash and update

Before you start, download "420rom_F926B_BVA9_Odin_EUY.zip" from HERE

THIS IS FOR F926B ONLY

The process requires knowledge of basic adb and YOU MUST HAVE ADB INSTALLED BEFORE TRYING THIS

This will no longer wipe data but it is advisable to backup first anyway - i wont be responsible for any data lost that could have been backed up ;)

PROCESS to update from rooted a11 or a12

1 - Unzip the 4 odin files from the zip provided in the link above & connect phone to PC

2 - load ODIN on PC and disable AUTO Reboot - Next load BL.tar in BL, AP.tar in AP, Stock CP in CP and Stock HOMECSC in CSC

3 - Click start to flash the files - when completed, keeping phone connected to PC, press and hold power and volume down and as soon as the screen turns off, press and hold vol up and power UNTIL in TWRP

4 - Head to the TWRP mount menu disable MTP

5 - ONLY IF YOU DONT HAVE A MAGISK.ZIP ON INTERNAL STORAGE copy app-debug.zip to your adb folder and then open a command window and first confirm adb is working by typing adb devices you should see your device listed and "recovery" next to the device in command window - this means adb is working - type adb push app-debug.zip /sdcard this should send the app-debug.zip to internal storage (or sdcard if you prefer)

6 - go to the TWRP flash menu and you should see the app-debug.zip, flash it to root your A12 device - this needs to be done everytime TWRP is flashed in Odin it seems

7 - reboot to system from TWRP power menu

You will boot rooted, updated and with intact data if all the steps above are followed correctly

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PROCESS IF COMING FROM STOCK A12

1 - Unzip the 4 odin files from the zip provided in the link above & connect phone to PC (please ensure dev settings are enabled and that you have unlocked bootloader and checked "Oem unlock" is faded out under dev settings)

2 - load ODIN on PC and disable AUTO Reboot - Next load BL.tar in BL, AP.tar in AP, Stock CP in CP and Stock HOMECSC in CSC

3 - Click start to flash the files - when completed, keeping phone connected to PC, press and hold power and volume down and as soon as the screen turns off, press and hold vol up and power UNTIL in TWRP

4 - Head to the TWRP wipe menu and format device (type yes and press enter) - then reboot TWRP

5 - when TWRP has rebooted, go to the mounts menu and disable MTP -> this will allow us to send app-debug.zip (magisk) to your sdcard

6 - copy app-debug.zip to your adb folder and then open a command window and first confirm adb is working by typing adb devices you should see your device listed and "recovery" next to the device in command window - this means adb is working

7 - type adb push app-debug.zip /sdcard this should send the app-debug.zip to internal storage (or sdcard if you prefer) - go to the TWRP flash menu and you should see this app-debug.zip, flash it to root your A12 device

8 - as stated previously, i have disabled encryption therefore we just need to boot STRAIGHT to SYSTEM from the TWRP POWER MENU

9 -When phone reboots, set up as normal and you should now see a magisk stub in the app drawer meaning you are rooted :p
    ok no progress on Dex today from my end - seems to be a commonn issue and @abun880007 reported an error message stating that dex wouldn't work due to a modded system

on a side note i have disabled WSM which means watch pairings remain on reboot - this was a fix in my rom already but module dependant meaning that watch pairings would go even if the module was disabled- thanks to @starbucks2010 for the wsm fix as always

ill upload a new firmware tonight with this fix and it has been based on BTB (no difference to MSR firmware as is OXM)
    @exocetdj
    I have the same problem with the Gallery, also, when trying to send an image or a video in Telegram I get an error and when using Sync I cant watch videos and images. Maybe it has something to do with storage permission.
    No – this has to do with decrypting /data – I've confirmed this on my setup – you won't be able to get it working after formatting /data in TWRP. BTW you will also not be able to use Dex on your setup like this. That's a gift from Samsung to us.

The only way to overcome this currently is like I have done:

- Follow @exocetdj guide up to and including flashing the Magisk apk in TWRP.
    - From TWRP, reboot to Download mode.
    - In Odin disable autoreboot and flash Stock recovery, you have to make a tar for this from the stock firmware AP, just keep the recovery file in the tar.
    - Reboot to recovery via the key combo in the guide.
    - In stock recovery now, format /data again - this will encrypt it.

Now reboot, you'll set up the system again and you'll have root, sharing will work, Dex will work etc.

However you won't have TWRP. It's possible to flash just the TWRP recovery again after this without formatting /data however without accessible /data it's mostly useless.
    process and files updated on first post for Android 12
    Killing the camera after unlocking the bootloader is a stupid and crappy move by Samsung.
    I remember, oh so long ago, when Samsung actually supported us here on XDA, found quite a large number of things done by devs here suddenly appearing on their "next big thing", then they quietly withdrew their support and went over to the dark side of the Apple-verse.