How To Guide SM-F926B ONLY!! Android 12 update and ROOT GUIDE - BVA9 rooted firmware provided - if you missed the good news, camera works :)

Search This thread

J0gurt

Nov 13, 2019
Can you run Dex?

Can you describe exactly what you mean by that you went back? Were you already on A12 rooted? And you redid which steps in the 1st post?

These describe rooting starting in A11. Can you be specific about what you did - seems you had a process like @pvillasuso and you both are good. I'm not...
I did experiment a bit with my Z-Fold in the last days, by "went back" i mean i flashed an A12 stock rom with Odin downloaded from sammobile, to get a fresh start.

Then i did the steps OP shared with us in hist first post since i read that it could also be done by starting with a A12 stock ROM.

it works fine but i still have the stock recovery not TWRP. Today since i would like to have TWRP tried to follow the steps provided by pvillasuso (started from the same stock rom i mentioned above) but this will end up in a boot loop.

i wanted to have TWRP working to try out OP´s 420 ROM from his other thread. since the steps from https://xdaforums.com/t/magisk-rom-...ch-12-2021-released-08-01-2022.4335197/page-4 post 63 leave me with a broken TWRP where touch inputs wont work.

hope that makes it a little clearer what worked for me and what didn't.

for the DEX question, I am currently flashing a stock ROM, and repeat the steps from the first post and check DEX. give me a couple minutes :)

EDIT: DEX is starting but System-UI keeps crashing.

Last edited:

pvillasuso

Apr 16, 2007
I did experiment a bit with my Z-Fold in the last days, by "went back" i mean i flashed an A12 stock rom with Odin downloaded from sammobile, to get a fresh start.

Then i did the steps OP shared with us in hist first post since i read that it could also be done by starting with a A12 stock ROM.

it works fine but i still have the stock recovery not TWRP. Today since i would like to have TWRP tried to follow the steps provided by pvillasuso (started from the same stock rom i mentioned above) but this will end up in a boot loop.

i wanted to have TWRP working to try out OP´s 420 ROM from his other thread. since the steps from https://xdaforums.com/t/magisk-rom-...ch-12-2021-released-08-01-2022.4335197/page-4 post 63 leave me with a broken TWRP where touch inputs wont work.

hope that makes it a little clearer what worked for me and what didn't.

for the DEX question, I am currently flashing a stock ROM, and repeat the steps from the first post and check DEX. give me a couple minutes :)
I did the same when I was rooted by OP's guide and wanted twrp too.
but just went to download mode and flash twrp file via Odin , rebooted to system , and all fine , got a working twrp .

exocetdj

Hey @exocetdj :) first of all, thanks for the root guide and your work!

is there a way to use Magisk Hide? Unfortunately, I can't find the option in the app that you included, I uninstalled the Magisk app and loaded the apk from Github directly, here I see the option but it doesn't do anything, it deactivates itself as soon as the settings are exited.

I´d like to use it for safetynet fix reasons :)

Is there any known way to get it working or is this not possible at the moment ?

regards
enable zygisk in magisk settings and reboot

then install safteynet fix 2.2.1 and reboot

then install any safteynet checker app from the play store - can confirm passes here :)

Reactions: J0gurt

J0gurt

Nov 13, 2019
enable zygisk in magisk settings and reboot

then install safteynet fix 2.2.1 and reboot

then install any safteynet checker app from the play store - can confirm passes here :)
wow thanks that did the trick :) so, there is no more need for Magisk hide in order to hide root for certain apps ?

Edit: i might have found it, the "Denial list" (hope the translation is correct haha) seems to do the same job as Magisk Hide. maybe it was just renamed ^^

Last edited:

exocetdj

ok no progress on Dex today from my end - seems to be a commonn issue and @abun880007 reported an error message stating that dex wouldn't work due to a modded system

on a side note i have disabled WSM which means watch pairings remain on reboot - this was a fix in my rom already but module dependant meaning that watch pairings would go even if the module was disabled- thanks to @starbucks2010 for the wsm fix as always

ill upload a new firmware tonight with this fix and it has been based on BTB (no difference to MSR firmware as is OXM)

J0gurt

Nov 13, 2019
Can you run Dex?

Can you describe exactly what you mean by that you went back? Were you already on A12 rooted? And you redid which steps in the 1st post?

These describe rooting starting in A11. Can you be specific about what you did - seems you had a process like @pvillasuso and you both are good. I'm not...
I may have figured something out how to get TWRP working.

-start with a A12 stock rom from sammobile or similar (flash CSC_OXM not CSC_HOME_OXM to be completely "fresh")
-root with steps from the first post in this thread (did not started Magisk app yet)
-do initial phone setup
-flash ONLY AP_twrp_F926B_A12.tar with Odin from post nr. 90 (uncheck auto reboot)
-boot to TWRP with hardware buttons and format data
-reboot to recovery with twrp menu
-sideload and flash app_debug.zip
-reboot to system with twrp menu
-finish the Magisk app setup (initial setup when starting the app for the first time)

However TWRP will only start when the phone is connected via USB to my laptop, otherwise it will just vibrate once and boot to system with an error popup:

[PDP]
back-up : fail
setup-wizard [FINISH]

while in TWRP I´m able to mount the data partition to answer your question couple of hours ago :)

@pvillasuso are you able to start TWRP without your phone being connected to a PC ?

EDIT: as @pvillasuso mentioned, this is the expected behaviour for TWRP on A11+ have to use an app to boot to recovery or connect it to a PC

EDIT2: i redid the steps to make sure they were correctly, after formatting data you have to reflash app_debug.zip otherwise Magisk will prompt for a restart every single time you open the magisk app.

Last edited:

pvillasuso

Apr 16, 2007
@pvillasuso are you able to start TWRP without your phone being connected to a PC ?
Yes , I can do that via magisk , or an app I installed
But I can't with the phone off and using hardware buttons
From what I understand it has to be done this way ( connected ) since A11

Edit : I have a note 20 ultra , also rooted with Dr.Ketan A12 ROM , and I asume is the same: to get into Twrp using hardware , it has to be done connected to PC (since A11)

Last edited:
Reactions: J0gurt

pvillasuso

Apr 16, 2007
I may have figured something out how to get TWRP partially working.

-started with a A12 stock rom from sammobile (flashed CSC_OXM not CSC_HOME_OXM to be completely "fresh")
You are right about this , I did CSC_HOME, so that's why at some point I had to factory reset from stock recovery

This is why you didnt get into bootloop this time .

Gonna change and edit the guide I posted earlier

I Think you solved it

白い熊

Aug 29, 2011
相撲道
I may have figured something out how to get TWRP partially working.

-started with a A12 stock rom from sammobile (flashed CSC_OXM not CSC_HOME_OXM to be completely "fresh")
-rooted with steps from the first post (did not started Magisk app yet)
-Flashed ONLY AP_twrp_F926B_A12.tar with Odin from post nr. 90 (uncheck auto reboot)
-boot to TWRP with hardware buttons and formated data
-rebooted to recovery with twrp menu
-I did sideload and flashed app_debug.zip again but was probably not neccessary since it detected a already magisk patched boot.img
-reboot to system with twrp menu
-finished the Magisk app setup (initial setup when first started the app)

However TWRP will only start when the phone is connected via USB to my laptop, otherwise it will just vibrate once and boot to system with an error popup:

[PDP]
back-up : fail
setup-wizard [FINISH]

while in TWRP I´m able to mount the data partition to answer your question couple of hours ago :)

Thanks for this!

Can you run Dex now without crashing?

frwerewolf

Jan 12, 2013
I have a question:
I don't need TWRP. I am on A12 stock now. Is there a way to root the phone with magisk only, like i did when i was on A11 by letting Magisk patch the AP file and then Flash it ? I did it on A11 and it worked fine. But cameras were desactivated. So i went back to stock and closed the booloader.

J0gurt

Nov 13, 2019
Yes , I can do that via magisk , or an app I installed
But I can't with the phone off and using hardware buttons
From what I understand it has to be done this way ( connected ) since A11

Edit : I have a note 20 ultra , also rooted with Dr.Ketan A12 ROM , and I asume is the same: to get into Twrp using hardware , it has to be done connected to PC (since A11)
Ah okay, didnt knew that its that way since A11. My last rooted device with custom recovery is still on Android 10 :D thanks for the information.

Hello everyone,

First of all I apologize for having to use a translator, but my English is pretty bad...
So here I am, I tried to root my fold 3 following the guide. But on second thought, I probably made a big mistake by misunderstanding the flashing process. I used the CP and CSC files contained in the last file downloaded with the Freja tool!
It did not cause any problem during the first flashing (I managed to access TWRP), but when I reflash the recovery at step 8 of the guide, then restarted. Android launched without bootloop and was working properly. But when I ran Magisk to finalize the root of the phone, it didn't work on reboot presumably. Then I finally tried again to perform the root installation by clicking on install somewhere in Magisk (sorry for my lack of precision on this point). This resulted in a system reboot, and the phone has not booted since.
Unfortunately, I tried everything and I can't access the download mode of the phone in any way!
I can only access the basic system recovery...
I hope someone can help me without having to change the motherboard of the phone by Samsung... ?

pvillasuso

Apr 16, 2007
Hello everyone,

First of all I apologize for having to use a translator, but my English is pretty bad...
So here I am, I tried to root my fold 3 following the guide. But on second thought, I probably made a big mistake by misunderstanding the flashing process. I used the CP and CSC files contained in the last file downloaded with the Freja tool!
It did not cause any problem during the first flashing (I managed to access TWRP), but when I reflash the recovery at step 8 of the guide, then restarted. Android launched without bootloop and was working properly. But when I ran Magisk to finalize the root of the phone, it didn't work on reboot presumably. Then I finally tried again to perform the root installation by clicking on install somewhere in Magisk (sorry for my lack of precision on this point). This resulted in a system reboot, and the phone has not booted since.
Unfortunately, I tried everything and I can't access the download mode of the phone in any way!
I can only access the basic system recovery...
I hope someone can help me without having to change the motherboard of the phone by Samsung... ?

1. Try to do a factory reset from stock recovery , and try to boot to system

2. You can boot to download mode from recovery ( look for "reboot to bootloader" option , and connect phone to PC before that )

If you want to go back to stock , fresh install :

Get into download mode
Open Odin, and set the stock A12 files but USE CSC , not HOMECSC

Flash to stock !
And start again with the guide from there

PS.
Download mode (via hardware) =
Phone off
Both volume buttons keep them pressed + connect phone to PC

Good luck

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Azaniel_01
1. Try to do a factory reset from stock recovery , and try to boot to system

2. You can boot to download mode from recovery ( look for "reboot to bootloader" option , and connect phone to PC before that )

If you want to go back to stock , fresh install :

Get into download mode
Open Odin, and set the stock A12 files but USE CSC , not HOMECSC

Flash to stock !
And start again with the guide from there

PS.
Download mode (via hardware) =
Phone off
Both volume buttons keep them pressed + connect phone to PC

Good luck
Thanks a lot to you, the combination of keys worked as written. Here we go for round 2 of my rootage... ;-)

Reactions: pvillasuso

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi All!!

This thread will now contain pre rooted Odin files for F926B users to flash and update

Before you start, download "420rom_F926B_BVA9_Odin_EUY.zip" from HERE

THIS IS FOR F926B ONLY

The process requires knowledge of basic adb and YOU MUST HAVE ADB INSTALLED BEFORE TRYING THIS

This will no longer wipe data but it is advisable to backup first anyway - i wont be responsible for any data lost that could have been backed up ;)

PROCESS to update from rooted a11 or a12

1 - Unzip the 4 odin files from the zip provided in the link above & connect phone to PC

2 - load ODIN on PC and disable AUTO Reboot - Next load BL.tar in BL, AP.tar in AP, Stock CP in CP and Stock HOMECSC in CSC

3 - Click start to flash the files - when completed, keeping phone connected to PC, press and hold power and volume down and as soon as the screen turns off, press and hold vol up and power UNTIL in TWRP

4 - Head to the TWRP mount menu disable MTP

5 - ONLY IF YOU DONT HAVE A MAGISK.ZIP ON INTERNAL STORAGE copy app-debug.zip to your adb folder and then open a command window and first confirm adb is working by typing adb devices you should see your device listed and "recovery" next to the device in command window - this means adb is working - type adb push app-debug.zip /sdcard this should send the app-debug.zip to internal storage (or sdcard if you prefer)

6 - go to the TWRP flash menu and you should see the app-debug.zip, flash it to root your A12 device - this needs to be done everytime TWRP is flashed in Odin it seems

7 - reboot to system from TWRP power menu

You will boot rooted, updated and with intact data if all the steps above are followed correctly

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PROCESS IF COMING FROM STOCK A12

1 - Unzip the 4 odin files from the zip provided in the link above & connect phone to PC (please ensure dev settings are enabled and that you have unlocked bootloader and checked "Oem unlock" is faded out under dev settings)

2 - load ODIN on PC and disable AUTO Reboot - Next load BL.tar in BL, AP.tar in AP, Stock CP in CP and Stock HOMECSC in CSC

3 - Click start to flash the files - when completed, keeping phone connected to PC, press and hold power and volume down and as soon as the screen turns off, press and hold vol up and power UNTIL in TWRP

4 - Head to the TWRP wipe menu and format device (type yes and press enter) - then reboot TWRP

5 - when TWRP has rebooted, go to the mounts menu and disable MTP -> this will allow us to send app-debug.zip (magisk) to your sdcard

6 - copy app-debug.zip to your adb folder and then open a command window and first confirm adb is working by typing adb devices you should see your device listed and "recovery" next to the device in command window - this means adb is working

7 - type adb push app-debug.zip /sdcard this should send the app-debug.zip to internal storage (or sdcard if you prefer) - go to the TWRP flash menu and you should see this app-debug.zip, flash it to root your A12 device

8 - as stated previously, i have disabled encryption therefore we just need to boot STRAIGHT to SYSTEM from the TWRP POWER MENU

9 -When phone reboots, set up as normal and you should now see a magisk stub in the app drawer meaning you are rooted :p
    @exocetdj
    I have the same problem with the Gallery, also, when trying to send an image or a video in Telegram I get an error and when using Sync I cant watch videos and images. Maybe it has something to do with storage permission.
    No – this has to do with decrypting /data – I've confirmed this on my setup – you won't be able to get it working after formatting /data in TWRP. BTW you will also not be able to use Dex on your setup like this. That's a gift from Samsung to us.

The only way to overcome this currently is like I have done:

- Follow @exocetdj guide up to and including flashing the Magisk apk in TWRP.
    - From TWRP, reboot to Download mode.
    - In Odin disable autoreboot and flash Stock recovery, you have to make a tar for this from the stock firmware AP, just keep the recovery file in the tar.
    - Reboot to recovery via the key combo in the guide.
    - In stock recovery now, format /data again - this will encrypt it.

Now reboot, you'll set up the system again and you'll have root, sharing will work, Dex will work etc.

However you won't have TWRP. It's possible to flash just the TWRP recovery again after this without formatting /data however without accessible /data it's mostly useless.
    ok no progress on Dex today from my end - seems to be a commonn issue and @abun880007 reported an error message stating that dex wouldn't work due to a modded system

on a side note i have disabled WSM which means watch pairings remain on reboot - this was a fix in my rom already but module dependant meaning that watch pairings would go even if the module was disabled- thanks to @starbucks2010 for the wsm fix as always

ill upload a new firmware tonight with this fix and it has been based on BTB (no difference to MSR firmware as is OXM)
    F926B users - rooted firmware is now here

This time round i have cooked in @Andrei1973 's WSM fix so no need for any modules to keep wearable pairings (cheers as always mate :) )

Rebased to BUL8 firmware and including A7 TWRP from IanMacD

Removed forrceencrypt and have also used df18bcf5 Magisk Alpha build (aka app-debug.zip) attached to this post for flashing in TWRP

Update procedure

1 reboot to download and load Odin

2 Load the Odin files and uncheck "Auto reboot"

3 Reboot straight to TWRP (remember the button combos!)

4 ONLY IF YOU HAVENT GOT MAGISK ON INTERNAL STORAGE - check that MTP is disabled and copy app-debug.zip to adb folder then in CMD window "adb push app-debug.zip /sdcard"

5 - Flash the app-debug.zip and then reboot to system from TWRP power menu

You will boot rooted, updated and with intact data if all the steps above are followed correctly
    Killing the camera after unlocking the bootloader is a stupid and crappy move by Samsung.
    I remember, oh so long ago, when Samsung actually supported us here on XDA, found quite a large number of things done by devs here suddenly appearing on their "next big thing", then they quietly withdrew their support and went over to the dark side of the Apple-verse.