• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

How To Guide SM-F926B ONLY!! Bootloader Unlock & TWRP/Root guide (NOTE CAMERA ISSUE!) AUI4 Updated

Search This thread

exocetdj

Dec 2, 2011
Jah's making me crazy
Hi All!!

As promised - i have compiled a guide to root the Fold 3 - this assumes that you are starting from stock AND ARE NOT BOTHERED ABOUT LOSING CAMERA DUE TO UNLOCKED BOOTLOADER.

firstly many thanks to @ianmacd for the TWRP and help in rooting this device and for showing me the fstab edit required.

ALSO HUGE THANKS TO MY TEAMMATE @abun880007 FOR WORKING OUT THE FIRMWARES!!

YOU WILL NEED:

1 - MAGISK_PATCHED AP FILE (AUI4) - HERE - N:B - flash the AP File Only!!

2 - a PC with Odin

3 - to backup any data you want before you start!!!

PROCESS - STARTING FROM AUI4 STOCK AND BOOTED IN SYSTEM.

1 - tap build number in software info in settings 7 times to show dev settings

2 - in dev settings, enable oem unlocking and usb debugging - Note: If OEM unlocking doesn't show up, connect to WiFi, search for software updates, close and open settings again and OEM unlock will once again be available

3 - plug phone into PC and reboot whilst holding both vol buttons down to enter download mode - hold up when asked to enter bootloader unlock screen

4 - press up to select yes to unlock bootloader AS WE KNOW, CAMERAS WILL DIE UNTIL BOOTLOADER IS RELOCKED!

5 - the phone will reboot - skip through setup on reboot and head straight back to settings - tap build number in software info in settings 5 times to show dev settings

6 - check OEM unlocking is greyed out and activated, activate USB Debugging and then reboot to download mode again.

7 - extract the zip i have provided to obtain the file to flash in AP slot (leave all other slots blank)

8 - this zip contains TWRP and also a modded super.img with edited fstab to remove encryption - load this in the AP slot in odin

9 - uncheck the auto reboot option in odin and flash the AP file

10 - WITH PHONE UNFOLDED!! - press vol down and power to exit download and immediately hold vol up and power to enter TWRP - hold until TWRP loads (you wint see TWRP on outer screen)

11 - in TWRP - head to the wipe menu and then format data - type yes and hit enter - this will remove encryption (the modded fstab prevents it from re-encrypting)

12 - Reboot to system from the TWRP power menu and setup device - upon checking the app drawer you should see a magisk stub, tab that to setup magisk and follow all prompts - including letting it reboot after it has installed (to do it's final setup)

13 - profit - your Fold 3 should now be fully rooted - just a shame about the cameras!!

PROCESS TO UPDATE COMING FROM PREVIOUS VERSION:

1 - Ensure any rom modules are removed (APPLICABLE IF YOU ARE USING MY ROM ONLY I GUESS)

2 - reboot to download mode and load the AP in AP slot, the BL in BL slot, CP in CP slot and HOMECSC in CSC slot in odin

3 - Very important: make sure auto reboot is unchecked in ODIN

4 - start the flash

5 - Exit download after flash and immediately hold vol up and power to enter TWRP recovery

6 - Reboot to system from TWRP Power menu - Your system should boot, optimize apps and then go to rooted system on AUI4 with TWRP installed (and data will be there also!!)

Last edited:

白い熊

Aug 29, 2011
相撲道
Reuploading patched AP file to Mega and will be available shortly

G-drive too a dump on me last night - apologies for the delay

@ianmacd is working on his disabler soon so we will be able to simplify things a bit also :) - thanks for bearing with me!!
Hi, have you managed to upload it to Mega too? I can’t download it from google drive — it failed three times and now it tells me it’s inaccessible as too many people tried to download it...

ultramag69

Nov 6, 2007
Waratah
Killing the camera after unlocking the bootloader is a stupid and crappy move by Samsung.
I remember, oh so long ago, when Samsung actually supported us here on XDA, found quite a large number of things done by devs here suddenly appearing on their "next big thing", then they quietly withdrew their support and went over to the dark side of the Apple-verse.

exocetdj

Dec 2, 2011
Jah's making me crazy
Killing the camera after unlocking the bootloader is a stupid and crappy move by Samsung.
I remember, oh so long ago, when Samsung actually supported us here on XDA, found quite a large number of things done by devs here suddenly appearing on their "next big thing", then they quietly withdrew their support and went over to the dark side of the Apple-verse.
They don't seem to care as much about the modding community nowadays it seems.

Iv had Sammy phones since s8 and been modding with roms since March last year and they've all been a ***** in some way to root 😂

ultramag69

Nov 6, 2007
Waratah
They don't seem to care as much about the modding community nowadays it seems.

Iv had Sammy phones since s8 and been modding with roms since March last year and they've all been a ***** in some way to root 😂
See, now I'm starting to feel old.
Been here since S2.
Samsung actually had representatives on the forum. They actively helped with rooting and used features that were developed here on XDA, assuming with the dev's permission, in their latest phones (suffice to say most of the features we take for granted today were developed here).
Rooting was EASY. As simple as flashing CWM on to your phone. No worries about KNOX or losing any features. That came around the time of the Note 3 along with region locking.

Reactions: ronaldheld
See, now I'm starting to feel old.
Been here since S2.
Samsung actually had representatives on the forum. They actively helped with rooting and used features that were developed here on XDA, assuming with the dev's permission, in their latest phones (suffice to say most of the features we take for granted today were developed here).
Rooting was EASY. As simple as flashing CWM on to your phone. No worries about KNOX or losing any features. That came around the time of the Note 3 along with region locking.
So from my understanding, Knox was actually designed for dual rom booting, as a way to keep the original firmware in tact and safe, but also be able to flash a custom rom for dual boot. But investors, carriers, and the like decided they weren't happy with that and saw that it could also be used to lock the device down to make everything more secure for their intents. After like 4 iterations where Samsung kept being pushed, it became what it is today.

I'm assuming they thought if they just impliment everything that a person would root for, that it would make people OK with it, but of course not the case. In the end, just like any other major corporation, they let money push them around

If we root, remove bloat, and then re-lock the bootloader, would the bloat still be gone? Knowing Sammy, they would prevent us from removing bloat.

I can handle holding out on flashing a sweet ROM if I can remove garbage like Bixby.
You can remove and/or disable bloat with adb commands for now. There is a thread about it somewhere in our forum

Reactions: dirtybudha

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Generally we're pretty selective with what threads are made into a sticky... And with the flat forum layout that came with the move to XenForo it's easy to filter the type of thread you want to find by clicking the prefix tags at the top of the forum (How To Guide in this threads case), so the need for stickies is even less.

So no, unfortunately, I won't be making this thread into a sticky at this time. Great to see the progress being made here though. Let's hope someone gets a workaround for the camera disabling thing released soon.
    Fair comment there (y)

was a passing query so no bother at all!

Yes there has been very very brief glimmers of hope but sadly nothing yet. I'm sure this forum will explode with action as soon as a fix is found or what apparently has been found already is finally released :)

ta muchly for your time (y)
    @Didgeridoohan hey man - i was wondering if there was anyway this thread could be made a sticky (if people find this thread useful??)

We now have a tested root process and also a seamless rooted update process 😁
    Generally we're pretty selective with what threads are made into a sticky... And with the flat forum layout that came with the move to XenForo it's easy to filter the type of thread you want to find by clicking the prefix tags at the top of the forum (How To Guide in this threads case), so the need for stickies is even less.

So no, unfortunately, I won't be making this thread into a sticky at this time. Great to see the progress being made here though. Let's hope someone gets a workaround for the camera disabling thing released soon.
    As soon as you flash any custom binary then your software is classed as custom and will not boot at all with a locked bootloader. It would soft brick requiring a stock odin flash to revive device most likely
    Hi, have you managed to upload it to Mega too? I can’t download it from google drive — it failed three times and now it tells me it’s inaccessible as too many people tried to download it...
    try this alternative link

If not ill ask my teammate to mirror to Mega :)
    Hi All!!

As promised - i have compiled a guide to root the Fold 3 - this assumes that you are starting from stock AND ARE NOT BOTHERED ABOUT LOSING CAMERA DUE TO UNLOCKED BOOTLOADER.

firstly many thanks to @ianmacd for the TWRP and help in rooting this device and for showing me the fstab edit required.

ALSO HUGE THANKS TO MY TEAMMATE @abun880007 FOR WORKING OUT THE FIRMWARES!!

YOU WILL NEED:

1 - MAGISK_PATCHED AP FILE (AUI4) - HERE - N:B - flash the AP File Only!!

2 - a PC with Odin

3 - to backup any data you want before you start!!!

PROCESS - STARTING FROM AUI4 STOCK AND BOOTED IN SYSTEM.

1 - tap build number in software info in settings 7 times to show dev settings

2 - in dev settings, enable oem unlocking and usb debugging - Note: If OEM unlocking doesn't show up, connect to WiFi, search for software updates, close and open settings again and OEM unlock will once again be available

3 - plug phone into PC and reboot whilst holding both vol buttons down to enter download mode - hold up when asked to enter bootloader unlock screen

4 - press up to select yes to unlock bootloader AS WE KNOW, CAMERAS WILL DIE UNTIL BOOTLOADER IS RELOCKED!

5 - the phone will reboot - skip through setup on reboot and head straight back to settings - tap build number in software info in settings 5 times to show dev settings

6 - check OEM unlocking is greyed out and activated, activate USB Debugging and then reboot to download mode again.

7 - extract the zip i have provided to obtain the file to flash in AP slot (leave all other slots blank)

8 - this zip contains TWRP and also a modded super.img with edited fstab to remove encryption - load this in the AP slot in odin

9 - uncheck the auto reboot option in odin and flash the AP file

10 - WITH PHONE UNFOLDED!! - press vol down and power to exit download and immediately hold vol up and power to enter TWRP - hold until TWRP loads (you wint see TWRP on outer screen)

11 - in TWRP - head to the wipe menu and then format data - type yes and hit enter - this will remove encryption (the modded fstab prevents it from re-encrypting)

12 - Reboot to system from the TWRP power menu and setup device - upon checking the app drawer you should see a magisk stub, tab that to setup magisk and follow all prompts - including letting it reboot after it has installed (to do it's final setup)

13 - profit - your Fold 3 should now be fully rooted - just a shame about the cameras!!

PROCESS TO UPDATE COMING FROM PREVIOUS VERSION:

1 - Ensure any rom modules are removed (APPLICABLE IF YOU ARE USING MY ROM ONLY I GUESS)

2 - reboot to download mode and load the AP in AP slot, the BL in BL slot, CP in CP slot and HOMECSC in CSC slot in odin

3 - Very important: make sure auto reboot is unchecked in ODIN

4 - start the flash

5 - Exit download after flash and immediately hold vol up and power to enter TWRP recovery

6 - Reboot to system from TWRP Power menu - Your system should boot, optimize apps and then go to rooted system on AUI4 with TWRP installed (and data will be there also!!)
    @Didgeridoohan hey man - i was wondering if there was anyway this thread could be made a sticky (if people find this thread useful??)

We now have a tested root process and also a seamless rooted update process 😁

Fair comment there (y)

was a passing query so no bother at all!

Yes there has been very very brief glimmers of hope but sadly nothing yet. I'm sure this forum will explode with action as soon as a fix is found or what apparently has been found already is finally released :)

ta muchly for your time (y)
    Ok guys - sorry for the muck about!! the patched AP file is now live in the first post - therefore you can go ahead and root!

Follow the steps carefully, please also read and make sure you have everything prepared before you start