• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

SM-G7810 (HK) Some concerns

Search This thread

Le_Cee

Jul 1, 2020
Hello,

I just ordered the S20 FE 5G at a pretty good price on Rakuten at 504 € in 128GB / 8GB RAM version. I just received it this morning. I unpack it but not yet turned on. The phone is 100% new, no damage, nothing to report at this time.

Nevertheless, I had a little disappointment when I saw the SIM drawer thinking it was 2SIM + SD Card and in fact it's your choice. Either 2 SIM or 1 SIM + 1 SD card. Anyway ... After doing several searches on the eSIM (since initially, I wanted to use my personal SIM + my pro SIM for work + the SD Card), I came across several concerns:

- Updates for Hong Kong models that seem to arrive last (least serious of all but annoying all the same)
- The flash of an XEF ROM which seems to be a problem
- May be instabilities in Samsung software such as Samsung Pay
- The eSIM which may never happen?
- Network antennas

That being said, do you think that it is still possible to switch it to an XEF version without bricking it?
And are there any SM-G7810 owners here?

Thank you !

Don1003

Dec 6, 2016
Samsung Galaxy S20 FE
I'm not complaining abouth this model so far. It's not buggy, performs well, battery life is great and updates do come as today with February patch. It did skip January. I came from LG and they only updated Europe version each 3 months. Chinese versions got over 4 months to 6 a update.

Le_Cee

Jul 1, 2020
Hi,

Ok thanks for the feedback! If everything works fine, so much the better. My biggest concern is with the eSIM which I think probably won't be available for HK models ...

jtOttawa

Oct 27, 2013
Ottawa
Hello,

I just ordered the S20 FE 5G at a pretty good price on Rakuten at 504 € in 128GB / 8GB RAM version. I just received it this morning. I unpack it but not yet turned on. The phone is 100% new, no damage, nothing to report at this time.

Nevertheless, I had a little disappointment when I saw the SIM drawer thinking it was 2SIM + SD Card and in fact it's your choice. Either 2 SIM or 1 SIM + 1 SD card. Anyway ... After doing several searches on the eSIM (since initially, I wanted to use my personal SIM + my pro SIM for work + the SD Card), I came across several concerns:

- Updates for Hong Kong models that seem to arrive last (least serious of all but annoying all the same)
- The flash of an XEF ROM which seems to be a problem
- May be instabilities in Samsung software such as Samsung Pay
- The eSIM which may never happen?
- Network antennas

That being said, do you think that it is still possible to switch it to an XEF version without bricking it?
And are there any SM-G7810 owners here?

Thank you !
Let me get this straight - you would prefer faster updates, XEF software, no issues with Samsung Pay functionality, and the frequencies you use in France - so why did you buy the HK model again?? :unsure: :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Le_Cee

Jul 1, 2020
Hi,

For the price quite simply and the 2 GB of ram more for the S20 FE in HK version. However, I had not considered this kind of concern.

Otherwise I just started it and so far everything is working fine. The battery, however, is not the best ... A small disappointment at this level. Otherwise, everything else is really there!

jtOttawa

Oct 27, 2013
Ottawa
Hi,

For the price quite simply and the 2 GB of ram more for the S20 FE in HK version. However, I had not considered this kind of concern.

Otherwise I just started it and so far everything is working fine. The battery, however, is not the best ... A small disappointment at this level. Otherwise, everything else is really there!
Try turning 5G off. With 5G turned off, the battery life on the Snapdragon models is excellent.

Le_Cee

Jul 1, 2020
Thanks for your return,

I had already done this seen that I do not have a 5G package yet but no visible difference. Today, for example, I used it to research the internet for over an hour and reply to messages. I went from 80% (this morning at 6.30am) to 44% at the time of writing this message (3.15pm).

I don't know if it's normal but it seems weird to me ...

jtOttawa

Oct 27, 2013
Ottawa
Thanks for your return,

I had already done this seen that I do not have a 5G package yet but no visible difference. Today, for example, I used it to research the internet for over an hour and reply to messages. I went from 80% (this morning at 6.30am) to 44% at the time of writing this message (3.15pm).

I don't know if it's normal but it seems weird to me ...
No, that doesn't sound normal - but the phone will improve over time as it puts unused apps to sleep, etc. Look at your battery usage to see what is causing the most drain. You should be getting at least 4 hours of screen-on time from a full charge. Cell signal can cause battery life to vary widely in my experience, but even then, this phone should get excellent battery life.

Le_Cee

Jul 1, 2020
Ok, thanks a lot for the information.

It's been 4 days since I started it but the analysis program of my habits is not yet finished.

Having said that, I haven't done a full charge yet. I only did 40% to 80% small charges to better preserve the battery as I know full charges damage the battery. Maybe I should do one now?

Le_Cee

Jul 1, 2020
Hi,
I come back to the news. The phone has finished studying my battery usage. It tells me that my battery can last 1 day and 3 hours. A little weak, right?

Especially since I don't play any games. I just use social media / Apple Music / and small calls every now and then. In short, a very common use.

3mel

Aug 23, 2012
London
disable google chrome if you don't use it. I've never even opened it and I've disabled it twice (after updates) and it still has two instances of high battery drain.

Don1003

Dec 6, 2016
Samsung Galaxy S20 FE
My sm- g7810 get 6h screen on time with still 30procent left today.Battery is set at maximum performance and 120hz refresh and I don't use auto optimalisation battery, I restart my device just once a day and that's it.
I debloat most useless apps like chrome and social media I don't use. Also standard mail and Google mail and and exchange service I dumbed because they could cause drain. I use my mail and use opera browser that's much better. I have zero complaints of this phone. Maybe u use optimize battery frequently so could drain your battery faster

Le_Cee

Jul 1, 2020
Hi ! Thanks for the information.

Personally, I did 5 hours of screen yesterday. I started at 90% when I woke up in the morning and I was at 30% around 11pm. On the other hand I am in normal mode, I did not put the performances in maximum mode. I will also try not to use Chrome because I see that it is indeed greedy. Although from what I could see the most greedy are Apple Music and Messenger. The problem is that Messenger, I cannot put it to sleep otherwise I will not receive notifications.

If not, do you think my battery is intact there or should it last longer?

Don1003

Dec 6, 2016
Samsung Galaxy S20 FE

Personally, I did 5 hours of screen yesterday. I started at 90% when I woke up in the morning and I was at 30% around 11pm. On the other hand I am in normal mode, I did not put the performances in maximum mode. I will also try not to use Chrome because I see that it is indeed greedy. Although from what I could see the most greedy are Apple Music and Messenger. The problem is that Messenger, I cannot put it to sleep otherwise I will not receive notifications.

Don't worry to much, everything thing that stream like apple music is a battery eater.I depends on every user how much it affect battery life tru the day. Now I did 5h 11min with 25 procent left. You can't expect the same results

jtOttawa

Oct 27, 2013
Ottawa

Your battery is fine. Try playing around with some of your settings to see if it makes any difference. For example, although I have two SIMs installed, I'm not currently using the second one, so I turned it off. This seems to have helped a lot. Also, 'Double Tap to Wake' etc., drains battery, so make sure your phone is set up as you like/need it (and nothing more) - then stop worrying about it. ;)