• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

SM-G955U being used abroad problems

Search This thread

santet

Sep 10, 2009
Accra
I purchased an S8+ which happens to be an SM-G955U. Thought i was purchasing an international unlocked version, but got the US unlocked version rather. I get this notification for Sprint OMADM constantly in my notification window and sometimes when I reboot the device. The phone works properly though.
My questions are.

1. Will I get full OTA support as on an international unlocked version.
Example. I notice that I only have the June security patch level, whilst my international unlocked note 5 has a more recent version.
2. Will this sprint notification eventually lock up my device sometime in the future?.
3. How do I get rid of this Sprint notification in my notification panel and popping up constantly?.
4. Can I still use this device when I visit the US without some changes being made to my device OTA?.
5. When I make a call. In the right upper corner it says attempting and not dialing. The call however does go through. Is this normal?.

Thanks

vicvon

Dec 31, 2007
The best way is to flash it with the U1 firmware. This will give you the unlocked version of software. If you are on U software my guess is that you have the Sprint version of software.

santet

Sep 10, 2009
Accra
My firmware version is G955USQU1AQFJ.

There is a U1 in there so I assume I'm on the U1 version.correct me if I'm wrong.

Will this receive OTA updates?.

Thanks

vicvon

Dec 31, 2007
I am on AQG2. That is the us unlocked firmware. Use updato to find it.

---------- Post added at 04:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:06 PM ----------

Look for the one that says XAA. That is the generic USA unlocked firmware.

santet

Sep 10, 2009
Accra
Thanks. Found it. Can you point me to a thread where someone has attempted this successfully on the G955U S8+ snapdragon 835 to do a bit more research before i attempt the firmware update.
I am particularly concerning about OTA updates after the firmware update.

vicvon

Dec 31, 2007
Reactions: santet

Top Liked Posts