• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

SM-G970U Refuses to Work on Carrier Network

Search This thread

LanGar21

Feb 25, 2019
So, I have an S10e (SM-G970U) that was bought from Verizon a while back. The phone was set up on a Verizon post-paid plan, but was later switched to prepaid. The phone worked fine for months, but about a week ago, the phone randomly stopped making and receiving calls, texts, and the ability to use mobile data. It was taken to Verizon, and they tried "all they could" in their words, which included a new SIM card, resetting network settings, and eventually a factory reset from settings. Nothing seemed to work, and they gave up, claiming it "seemed like a bad antenna." They did call their "tech support" who claimed the most recent Android 11 update supposedly caused an issue with mobile network connection with the Verizon S10e devices, which I haven't heard of, but didn't know. He claimed a reset would fix it.

Since none of that fixed it, it was taken to a shop to be inspected. They claim the phone has nothing wrong with it. So, that, in theory, rules hardware issues out. Their only claim was that when an AT&T SIM was inserted, it was able to connect to the network, but never tried to make any calls due to the SIM not being activated. I assume this is due to someone trying to "help" inserting an activated AT&T SIM into the slot when testing, which I assume ended up installing the carrier branded version of the firmware. They gave a couple possible reasons, but neither seemed to make sense.

Since it had the AT&T bloatware and was working with only AT&T SIMs, I decided to flash both the VZW G970U firmware (the earliest version I could to ensure the supposed "issue" from Verizon support wasn't a problem) and the G970U1 firmware. Both firmware flashes have seemed to have done nothing, as the phone is still having the issue. Most times, it will connect to the Verizon network, but the signal seems to rise and fall quickly (like the bars going from 5 to 1 to 3).. Still no calls, texts, or data, though. I have no idea what's going on, at this point, honestly. Any ideas?

LanGar21

Feb 25, 2019
Since none of that fixed it, it was taken to a shop to be inspected. They claim the phone has nothing wrong with it. So, that, in theory, rules hardware issues out.
If the people it was taken to were competent and did their jobs correctly (one of the best around, according to reviews and carrier recommendation), their diagnostic results show no hardware damage to the phone. Then again, their explanation for the problem was that it had been locked to ATT network (a Verizon bought phone that never had any affiliation with another carrier, aside from Verizon and a month-long stint with Straight Talk). Some idiot she knows that used to work for a Verizon retailer popped his ATT SIM in there, and it flashed ATT firmware.. Their POSSIBLE solution was to try and have it network unlocked from ATT. As we know, though, the IMEI obviously did not change, and the process of confirming the identifier is done on the mobile network level. Therefore, flashing a different carrier's firmware won't do much (permanently), aside from changing the boot screen and bloatware apps. We even tried to explain to the guy that the ATT SIM had never been popped in until after the problem began, as there was no reason to beforehand. I also mentioned I had flashed firmware multiple times before I ever came to him, to no avail. I should've pushed harder, but I had been out all day, frustrated and ready to go home.

It's been over a month since that issue began, and I haven't thought much of it lately.. We've since found her a new phone (and stowed the other one in a drawer). Those guys did blurt some moronic statements.. In hindsight, I'm not too sure I should trust their judgement after hearing what I did. Maybe it was an antenna issue or otherwise hardware, but I sort of assumed if anyone can happen to keep a repair shop open, they'd at least be able to complete the simple tasks fairly easy. I don't know. I'm not paying another repair shop to find out, though.