SM-G9880 BRI (taiwan) vs TGY (HK) differences? Thinking about changing CSC

Search This thread

stefan243546

Oct 11, 2016
Bucharest
Samsung Galaxy S21+
Which bands you are looking for?

The S20 Snapdragon variants from Asia have certain limitations in the modem firmware, which cannot be modified (at the moment).

For example, there are no carrier aggregation with LTE on B20, its only supported as single carrier. Look at the attached combos when used within the German Telekom network. In this case the network requested even B32, but not supported.

Also 5G ENDC NSA is limited to anchor band B8 with N1 only. It does support aggregation of B3 and B7 as well, but B8 must always exist as anchor band.

The following 5G bands are supported from the firmware: N1, N41, N78, N79 (there was N3 support before August Patchlevel)
4G bands implemented are: B1 - B5, B7 - 8, B12 - 13, B18 - B20, B25 - 26, B28, B34, B38 - B41 (there are hints that B66 is supported, but not confirmed)

No other bands can be used (at the moment).

My carrier, Orange, is the only carrier in Romania that fully supports my phone, such that I get 4G Carrier Aggregation, Volte and Vowifi (On other carriers like Vodafone I cannot get 4G CA to work) and 5G at the moment is also fully supported, as the only band used at the moment is N78. Starting next year, they will add N1 and N76 I think (will edit the post with the exact bands once I find exactly which are going to be implemented). That's why I asked, because starting next year I will not be able to get 5G CA with the supported bands of my phone. A friendbofine suggested that I use QPST, but I couldn't get the software to detect my phone, but I don't think I would have known how to "add" the bands anyway.

edit: these are the bands that will be added across all carriers starting next year: n12 / n14 / n83 / n20 / n75 / n76 and n7.

Last edited:

insomniacandroid

Apr 23, 2013
You would need to use QPST-Tools to upload a bunch of files into the EFS file system. It can break the modem firmware and leave the modem unable to boot properly, if you do something wrong.

But - I can confirm proper functionality, even if certain band combinations of the phone which are baked in the firmware cannot be overridden at the moment. Works for all S20 Snapdragon versions.

If you have your phone and QPST tools ready, and can access the EFS file system, let me know by DM and I will support.

is it possible adding some new bands with a tool?
For istance my sm9860 doesn't support b32 and it would be good adding it.
Carrier aggregations seems to work good here in Italy, but I don't know if all combinations are supported.

azooooooooo

Apr 4, 2011
after updating security patch for sep still no 5g. dose samsung make it in pourpuse

Sent from my SM-G9810 using Tapatalk

stefan243546

Oct 11, 2016
Bucharest
Samsung Galaxy S21+
So I am looking to get the n1 5G band working on my phone (G9860), but on TGY csc it cannot connect to it, possible due to my carrier using some different 4g anchor than the phone wants. I've done some digging and found that BRI on the other hand uses the same B3+B7 anchor for n1 as Orange, my carrier here in Romania. The problem is that when I changed my csc to BRI, I would not get any 5G at all. Here I have to mention that on TGY n78 band was working flawlessly. I have tried putting the sim card in the 2nd slot, but on TGY 5G has been working with the sim placed in either of the 2 slots ever since the one ui 2.5 update so that cannot be the cause. What could be the cause for this and is there anything I can do?

xQuantum

Mar 17, 2015
I think the 5G problems on this phone will be solved with Android 11 update, I read Oneplus already have same issues on their 5G phones but it was fixed automatically by Google on Android 11.

By the way, is there a beta available for this version? (SM-G9860 OneUI 3.0)

stefan243546

Oct 11, 2016
Bucharest
Samsung Galaxy S21+
I think the 5G problems on this phone will be solved with Android 11 update, I read Oneplus already have same issues on their 5G phones but it was fixed automatically by Google on Android 11.

By the way, is there a beta available for this version? (SM-G9860 OneUI 3.0)

I sincerely hope so, as that n1 band is really important. Anyway the beta for SM-G9860 hasn't been released yet, it will probably come out in hopefully 1 or 2 weeks.

Roman9814

Oct 30, 2020
Just a quick update from me:

-Got a SM-9880, German Telekom , Used to be CHC , Odin-flashed TGY from samfw (Oct. 21st Build) with AP, BL, CP and CSC (not home)
-Using the nanosim in slot 2
- Getting CA, need more extensive testing to find out which combos work
EDIT: Most of the CA seems to be happening with Band 1 and Band 3 around here. I am usually getting 20Mhz on Band 3 and 15MHz on Band 1 . Unfortunately, I don't really have much comparison, but come Monday, I'm in a location I've tested repeatedly with my previous phone (iPhone 11 Pro Max) and had LTE Speeds ranging from 180Mbit to 300Mbit. I'll re-test with the SM-G9880 and see how it goes.

- no 5G, might be due to location though, but not sure.

Last edited:

films123

Jun 23, 2020
My 5g has started working today on my g9860 on TGY after update to G9860ZCU2BTK1.

If 5g isn't working - try this latest update :)

graffiti9

Jun 20, 2020
I have S20+ G9860 TGY and on newest update 5G still doesn't work. EE network in the UK.

This is just ridiculous that it worked just fine when I got the device (in slot 2) but after updating to One UI 2.5 it just stopped working and there is no fix after numerous updates since then.

I can't be bothered to downgrade the os again to make it work. I will just sell the phone and get something else.

azooooooooo

Apr 4, 2011
I have S20+ G9860 TGY and on newest update 5G still doesn't work. EE network in the UK.

This is just ridiculous that it worked just fine when I got the device (in slot 2) but after updating to One UI 2.5 it just stopped working and there is no fix after numerous updates since then.

I can't be bothered to downgrade the os again to make it work. I will just sell the phone and get something else.
Me too I am thinking to sell it and buy s20fe.

Sent from my SM-G9810 using Tapatalk

bodomfan

Mar 9, 2011
Swansea

My 5g works and im on 3 network using tgy csc, where would you sell it and how much for

X04D

Sep 6, 2011
On OneUI 3 and still don't have 5G with TGY CSC. Anyone manage to get it working?

films123

Jun 23, 2020
I recall someone asking if you can get 5g on sim 1 as previously only in sim 2.

Changed my 5g sim to sim 1 for another reason and 5g works.

Seems the latest updates have fixed the previous glitch.

cheetah2k

May 27, 2008
Brisbane
I recall someone asking if you can get 5g on sim 1 as previously only in sim 2.

Changed my 5g sim to sim 1 for another reason and 5g works.

Seems the latest updates have fixed the previous glitch.

What carrier and One UI version?? I'm on UI3.0 and no dice here Australia + Telstra.. Neither sim slot works on G9880

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    [MENTION=414798]

@cheetah2k

Is changing to hk firmware version using Samkey what you ended up doing? Was it easy.... I am not Tech savvy. I got this phone from eBay seller who was showing in Sydney but the phone ended up coming from Taiwan

This is the method I used (creds to user jabreel.torrin in the S10 forums. I did modify this though to suit the S20U) - You don't need to Odin flash the TGY firmware as its identical to the BRI - only CSC needs to change from BRI to TGY :good:

1. Buy 3 credits (can't buy 2) from this seller that on ebay that I used : https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SamKey-Code-Reader-3-Credits-UNLOCK-Fast-Service/324110503100?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2648
    2. After buying the Samkey credits you will be emailed the username and password for the Samkey App (you need this!)
    3. Enable developer options on your phone: Settings > About phone > Software Information > Tap "build number" 8 times or until you see a pop-up message that says "Developer mode has been enabled".
    4. Turn on USB debugging on your phone: Settings > Developer options > USB debugging > Allow USB Debugging > Tap "OK"
    5. Go to www.samkey.org and download the Samsung USB drivers (if you havent installed any samsung software on the PC already) and the Samkey application
    6. Install the drivers first, and then install Samkey application on your computer > Connect your phone to your computer with a usb cable > Login with the username/password you received from the ebay seller.
    7. Click the "Read Info ADB" button to make sure your phone has been accepted by ADB
    8. Insert the CSC code you want into the "Change CSC (Buyer)" field > With the BRI SM-G9880 you want to insert TGY (where is shows PHN in the pic below)
    9. Click the "Change CSC" button > Confirm that you want to spend 1 or 2 credits (for me it was 1, but some report 2 used).
    Let the application do it's work after which it will reboot and then you're good to go. :fingers-crossed:

For me it was seamless and worked so easy. Zero complaints. 5 min later I had a TGY phone - and I have reserve credits for the next Samsung phone I need to change Hope this helps guys!

https%3A%2F%2Flh3.googleusercontent.com%2FrLlCTwwk0jMVGKmBqe0Qmh2rVs_ZVk8FDXC6FCz91GGu3EjrMUoclkgc1bGVjOszLMbJD3sQvDxQARVtC8_howMRrCi83mCKw4-dNXS8Z4NYLZ1oU-LmV2uA7WMV-vI29Nk5khqETpA%3Dw2400
    I have a SM-G9880 BRI (taiwan) version and using in Australia. I have all the 3G/4G options but I'm unable to select any 5G - even though the phone is a 5G phone. I know my carrier does not use 5G in my area at this time, so is it not showing any 5G options because 5G is unsupported? Is it SIM related or would it be because I have a BRI (taiwan) CSC? I know others in Australia with SM-G9880 TGY versions using 5G (on different carrier) and they have 5G options... Just confused whether the 5G options are disabled because of the SIM, or because of the CSC??? :confused:

If its CSC related, I might try Samkey to change the CSC to TGY...
    5G has not been activated on BRI csc as there is no 5G in Taiwan yet. Its best changing to TGY however you will only get 5G using sim tray 2 (meaning you will not be able to use SD card at the moment).
    Is there a fool proof method using Samkey?? Any help is appreciated :)

Actually - never mind :D

I sorted it! That was easy!! And 4G now has a 4G+ and its even faster than before woooohoooo!! :highfive::highfive::highfive:
    Thank you

cheetah2k

OMG I can't thank you enough for the detailed breakdown. You just saved me alot of headache. I will try it tonight and let you know how I go.

Thank you again
    cheetah2k

OMG I can't thank you enough for the detailed breakdown. You just saved me alot of headache. I will try it tonight and let you know how I go.

Thank you again

No probs mate, dont forget to click thanks on my tutorial if it goes to plan :)

Now all i need is to get a Telstra sim (as theres coverage in my area) and then can use the Band N78 5G :laugh: