SM-G9880 BRI (taiwan) vs TGY (HK) differences? Thinking about changing CSC

Search This thread

Mittesh

Jul 9, 2018
Are you ever going to get 5g again?

Are we getting 5G again on TGY version or just give up with new version 2.5. I am not tech smart so can't make any of the fancy rollbacks etc

shauno100

Sep 12, 2020
Are we getting 5G again on TGY version or just give up with new version 2.5. I am not tech smart so can't make any of the fancy rollbacks etc

I can only speak of Telstra in Australia, but using latest firmware i cannot get 5G on either SIM. I've read others have reported 5G is now working on both SIM slots but i'm pretty sure they're not Australian users. But maybe this will be changed/fixed in a newer firmware, will have to see what happens.

Mittesh

Jul 9, 2018
I can only speak of Telstra in Australia, but using latest firmware i cannot get 5G on either SIM. I've read others have reported 5G is now working on both SIM slots but i'm pretty sure they're not Australian users. But maybe this will be changed/fixed in a newer firmware, will have to see what happens.

I am in the same boat... Telstra without any 5g in Telstra

cheetah2k

May 27, 2008
Brisbane

Is this with the latest TGY August firmware? I just got a 200gb 5G mobile internet sim on telstra, ill try it tonight.

Have you tried the frequency / channel hack to force it on N78?

phrancini

Jan 10, 2014
Out of interest, why were people changing from BRI to tgy in the first place. I thought the Taiwan csc was better for UK people due to having carrier aggregation. What does tgy have over BRI?

I'm from Italy, I get better carrier aggregation on TGY than on BRI, maybe our carriers use different bands. I can use Samsung pay with no issues and get spam protection with the caller id function.

bissa

Mar 28, 2013
It is possible to flash BRI G9860 with CHC rom?
I am trying to get the native caller recorder and only CHC rom has it.
I have read samsung pass doesn't work on CHC, is that have a fix?

shauno100

Sep 12, 2020
It is possible to flash BRI G9860 with CHC rom?
I am trying to get the native caller recorder and only CHC rom has it.
I have read samsung pass doesn't work on CHC, is that have a fix?

Yes you can flash CHC ROM with Odin on SM-G9860 with the BRI CSC. The SM-G9860 is identical (hardware wise) between TGY-BRI-CHC ---- no difference.

bissa

Mar 28, 2013
Yes you can flash CHC ROM with Odin on SM-G9860 with the BRI CSC. The SM-G9860 is identical (hardware wise) between TGY-BRI-CHC ---- no difference.

I have read to stay away from the CHC rom, and better to stay with BRI/TGY roms.
It is my first time to get the SD dual sim Samsung and I am little confusing as I have been always using Exynos OXM rom.
I am happy with the BRI rom but lacking the call recording which I had on the s20+ Exynos model is a problem for me and I tried all the recording apps and nothing worked like the native call recorder.
Any recommendation if I would face any issue with the CHC rom ? I don't care about the bands and 5G as it is not supported in my country.

Last edited:

shauno100

Sep 12, 2020
I have read to stay away from the CHC rom, and better to stay with BRI/TGY roms.
It is my first time to get the SD dual sim Samsung and I am little confusing as I have been always using Exynos OXM rom.
I am happy with the BRI rom but lacking the call recording which I had on the s20+ Exynos model is a problem for me and I tried all the recording apps and nothing worked like the native call recorder.
Any recommendation if I would face any issue with the CHC rom ? I don't care about the bands and 5G as it is not supported in my country.

You asked if you could flash CHC ROM and i was advising that you could do that if you wished. Not too sure about the native call recording query you have unfortunately.

bissa

Mar 28, 2013
guys I have something weird the cpu usage at idle doesn't go lower than 13%, even after hours of idle. Is that normal?

Screenshot-20200920-024720-One-UI-Home.jpg

brownie80

Nov 13, 2016
Hi everyone!

I am back on 5G including carrier aggregation, working on both SIM trays with UI 2.5 and August Patch.

I never changed the CSC and did not rooted my G9880, but I did some serious surgery on my modem configuration.

Some facts:
- 5G N1 is working with 4G anchor band B8-only
- 5G N78 works with a bunch of 4G anchors, including B3
- 5G is enable for both SIM cards

I will provide more screenshots later, but this modem configuration is not something easy to do. Of course it will only persist until the next update, then most probably my modified nv-files will be overwritten.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200921-073704_Settings.jpg
    Screenshot_20200921-073704_Settings.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 64

Mittesh

Jul 9, 2018
Hi everyone!

I am back on 5G including carrier aggregation, working on both SIM trays with UI 2.5 and August Patch.

I never changed the CSC and did not rooted my G9880, but I did some serious surgery on my modem configuration.

Some facts:
- 5G N1 is working with 4G anchor band B8-only
- 5G N78 works with a bunch of 4G anchors, including B3
- 5G is enable for both SIM cards

I will provide more screenshots later, but this modem configuration is not something easy to do. Of course it will only persist until the next update, then most probably my modified nv-files will be overwritten.

That's awesome news... Looking forward to any guidance on how to do the changes.

brownie80

Nov 13, 2016
That's awesome news... Looking forward to any guidance on how to do the changes.

You would need to use QPST-Tools to upload a bunch of files into the EFS file system. It can break the modem firmware and leave the modem unable to boot properly, if you do something wrong.

But - I can confirm proper functionality, even if certain band combinations of the phone which are baked in the firmware cannot be overridden at the moment. Works for all S20 Snapdragon versions.

If you have your phone and QPST tools ready, and can access the EFS file system, let me know by DM and I will support.

stefan243546

Oct 11, 2016
Bucharest
Samsung Galaxy S21+
You would need to use QPST-Tools to upload a bunch of files into the EFS file system. It can break the modem firmware and leave the modem unable to boot properly, if you do something wrong.

But - I can confirm proper functionality, even if certain band combinations of the phone which are baked in the firmware cannot be overridden at the moment. Works for all S20 Snapdragon versions.

If you have your phone and QPST tools ready, and can access the EFS file system, let me know by DM and I will support.
Could I use qpst to add missing bands to my phone (SM-G9860)? My country is soon going to add more 5g bands and my phone only supports N78 from those that are going to be added.

brownie80

Nov 13, 2016
Could I use qpst to add missing bands to my phone (SM-G9860)? My country is soon going to add more 5g bands and my phone only supports N78 from those that are going to be added.

Which bands you are looking for?

The S20 Snapdragon variants from Asia have certain limitations in the modem firmware, which cannot be modified (at the moment).

For example, there are no carrier aggregation with LTE on B20, its only supported as single carrier. Look at the attached combos when used within the German Telekom network. In this case the network requested even B32, but not supported.

Also 5G ENDC NSA is limited to anchor band B8 with N1 only. It does support aggregation of B3 and B7 as well, but B8 must always exist as anchor band.

The following 5G bands are supported from the firmware: N1, N41, N78, N79 (there was N3 support before August Patchlevel)
4G bands implemented are: B1 - B5, B7 - 8, B12 - 13, B18 - B20, B25 - 26, B28, B34, B38 - B41 (there are hints that B66 is supported, but not confirmed)

No other bands can be used (at the moment).

Attachments

• photo_2020-09-29_21-00-46.jpg
    photo_2020-09-29_21-00-46.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 115
  • photo_2020-09-29_21-00-55.jpg
    photo_2020-09-29_21-00-55.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 113

X04D

Sep 6, 2011
Which bands you are looking for?

The S20 Snapdragon variants from Asia have certain limitations in the modem firmware, which cannot be modified (at the moment).

For example, there are no carrier aggregation with LTE on B20, its only supported as single carrier. Look at the attached combos when used within the German Telekom network. In this case the network requested even B32, but not supported.

Also 5G ENDC NSA is limited to anchor band B8 with N1 only. It does support aggregation of B3 and B7 as well, but B8 must always exist as anchor band.

The following 5G bands are supported from the firmware: N1, N41, N78, N79 (there was N3 support before August Patchlevel)
4G bands implemented are: B1 - B5, B7 - 8, B12 - 13, B18 - B20, B25 - 26, B28, B34, B38 - B41 (there are hints that B66 is supported, but not confirmed)

No other bands can be used (at the moment).
Would it be possible to export your modem and make it a flashable zip so others could use it? Or maybe an APK that applies your changes?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    [MENTION=414798]

@cheetah2k

Is changing to hk firmware version using Samkey what you ended up doing? Was it easy.... I am not Tech savvy. I got this phone from eBay seller who was showing in Sydney but the phone ended up coming from Taiwan

This is the method I used (creds to user jabreel.torrin in the S10 forums. I did modify this though to suit the S20U) - You don't need to Odin flash the TGY firmware as its identical to the BRI - only CSC needs to change from BRI to TGY :good:

1. Buy 3 credits (can't buy 2) from this seller that on ebay that I used : https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SamKey-Code-Reader-3-Credits-UNLOCK-Fast-Service/324110503100?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2648
    2. After buying the Samkey credits you will be emailed the username and password for the Samkey App (you need this!)
    3. Enable developer options on your phone: Settings > About phone > Software Information > Tap "build number" 8 times or until you see a pop-up message that says "Developer mode has been enabled".
    4. Turn on USB debugging on your phone: Settings > Developer options > USB debugging > Allow USB Debugging > Tap "OK"
    5. Go to www.samkey.org and download the Samsung USB drivers (if you havent installed any samsung software on the PC already) and the Samkey application
    6. Install the drivers first, and then install Samkey application on your computer > Connect your phone to your computer with a usb cable > Login with the username/password you received from the ebay seller.
    7. Click the "Read Info ADB" button to make sure your phone has been accepted by ADB
    8. Insert the CSC code you want into the "Change CSC (Buyer)" field > With the BRI SM-G9880 you want to insert TGY (where is shows PHN in the pic below)
    9. Click the "Change CSC" button > Confirm that you want to spend 1 or 2 credits (for me it was 1, but some report 2 used).
    Let the application do it's work after which it will reboot and then you're good to go. :fingers-crossed:

For me it was seamless and worked so easy. Zero complaints. 5 min later I had a TGY phone - and I have reserve credits for the next Samsung phone I need to change Hope this helps guys!

https%3A%2F%2Flh3.googleusercontent.com%2FrLlCTwwk0jMVGKmBqe0Qmh2rVs_ZVk8FDXC6FCz91GGu3EjrMUoclkgc1bGVjOszLMbJD3sQvDxQARVtC8_howMRrCi83mCKw4-dNXS8Z4NYLZ1oU-LmV2uA7WMV-vI29Nk5khqETpA%3Dw2400
    I have a SM-G9880 BRI (taiwan) version and using in Australia. I have all the 3G/4G options but I'm unable to select any 5G - even though the phone is a 5G phone. I know my carrier does not use 5G in my area at this time, so is it not showing any 5G options because 5G is unsupported? Is it SIM related or would it be because I have a BRI (taiwan) CSC? I know others in Australia with SM-G9880 TGY versions using 5G (on different carrier) and they have 5G options... Just confused whether the 5G options are disabled because of the SIM, or because of the CSC??? :confused:

If its CSC related, I might try Samkey to change the CSC to TGY...
    5G has not been activated on BRI csc as there is no 5G in Taiwan yet. Its best changing to TGY however you will only get 5G using sim tray 2 (meaning you will not be able to use SD card at the moment).
    Is there a fool proof method using Samkey?? Any help is appreciated :)

Actually - never mind :D

I sorted it! That was easy!! And 4G now has a 4G+ and its even faster than before woooohoooo!! :highfive::highfive::highfive:
    Thank you

cheetah2k

OMG I can't thank you enough for the detailed breakdown. You just saved me alot of headache. I will try it tonight and let you know how I go.

Thank you again
    cheetah2k

OMG I can't thank you enough for the detailed breakdown. You just saved me alot of headache. I will try it tonight and let you know how I go.

Thank you again

No probs mate, dont forget to click thanks on my tutorial if it goes to plan :)

Now all i need is to get a Telstra sim (as theres coverage in my area) and then can use the Band N78 5G :laugh: