SM-N9860 changing firmware from BRI to TGY

Search This thread

n-j-f

Hi

I raised this in another thread but realised the title might be misleading so I have deleted that post and ask it here.

I have at last just received my Note 20 Ultra SM-N9860. I see it is the Taiwanese BRI version.

I have tried to read as much as I can and it appears that it may be a good idea to switch to the TGY firmware as there may be some benefits over BRI.

If I understand correctly, I can do this via Odin using all the elements (using CSC rather than Home_CSC). I know this will do a factory reset but that is no problem as I have not set the phone up yet.

If I do that, I will not trip Knox and I will get TGY OTA updates in future.

Have I understood that all correctly? Have I missed anything?

n-j-f

Sorry but I also have another question. What is the difference between using Odin to change the complete firmware to TGY and using Samkey just to change the CSC? All the files between BRI and TGY appear to be identical, other than the CSC. Does it make a difference over whether I get the TGY OTA updates if I only change the CSC?

Is there a disadvantage to using Odin as otherwise why do people pay Samkey when they could just use Odin for free?

andriy_

Feb 5, 2018
Changing BRI to TGY is safe. But you will not have any benefits. Instead of this, changing to CHC gives you voice recorder etc. This operation keeps knox intact as well (actually, knox is tripped only in case of bootloader unlocked to load non-Samsung signed images).
Samkey will not change CSC in your case (you'll loose your money), so the Odin is the only way.

Reactions: Shorty McLong

theartialmartist

Feb 7, 2011
Changing BRI to TGY is safe. But you will not have any benefits. Instead of this, changing to CHC gives you voice recorder etc. This operation keeps knox intact as well (actually, knox is tripped only in case of bootloader unlocked to load non-Samsung signed images).
Samkey will not change CSC in your case (you'll loose your money), so the Odin is the only way.
How is the CSC selected in Odin if Frija downloads the exact same CSC files for both BRI and TGY inputs??

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.