SM-T295 - Finally rooted tablet!! (updated 19-March-2021)

Search This thread

quassars

Sep 30, 2015
Clear... You are using ODIN version 3.12.05, but you need version 3.13 and higher, which work with lz4 files

Amazing .. my phone is rooted now ...
thanks for your help @Talich52

first i found higher version of odin (3.14.1) but it failed
so i came back with version 3.13.1 then rooted ...
God bless ... thanks very much

last question ... is it safe if i install xposed or flash twrp ?

Last edited:

Talich52

Dec 24, 2010
is it safe if i install xposed or flash twrp ?
There is no experience on xposed ...
TWRP can be installed in different ways, including the Flashify program
from the market, if the img file or via ODIN, if the tar version. But to access TWRP memory, you will need to do format data (no wipe data) and install the Fix_vendor_10,0.zip patch ...

Last edited:

Talich52

Dec 24, 2010
Can someone link me files needed to root this firmware?
T295XXS3ATB4 (last Android 9)
It is enough to unlock the bootloader and flash the attached file, having previously unpacked it to a tar file ... There will be Root rights and you can use them :) If you wish, you can install TWRP later ... Or, alternatively, start by installing TWRP and root from it ...

Attachments

• boot_vbmeta_T295XXS3ATB4_root.tar.zip
    10.1 MB · Views: 134
Reactions: mysterionTM

Talich52

Dec 24, 2010
For rooting, flash attached files via ODIN as part of BL & AP. Pre-decompress zip file archives to tar files. The bootloader must be unlocked beforehand ...
Good luck!

Attachments

• aboot_vk_T295XXS3ATB2.tar.zip
    1.4 MB · Views: 48
  • Root_T295XXS3BTL4_M21.4.tar.zip
    10.5 MB · Views: 65

chapoletada

Feb 24, 2021
Hi all!
There's a LONG while I don't do ROOT stuff. TBH it's more than 10 years
I have one SM-T295 from Brazil (info below), and I would like to know if I can root it.
My main reason to root it is to patch the device's cache to the SD card and have more space for apps (32GB is just too low).

I would like to know:
- Is my device rootable?
- Can I keep using Play Store after root?
- Is there a way to expand device storage without the root?
- Can I root using a Macbook?

Thanks all!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210224-121321_Settings.jpg
    Screenshot_20210224-121321_Settings.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 28

Joshua 80

Jul 24, 2020
Guys finally I found out a easy method for rooting sm-t295 without ap. Or Odin software or a computer. It worked 100%

Step 1: make sure you've installed twrp menu before you go under this procedure
Step 2: download magisk apk and install it.
Step 3 now after installing the apk make sure you rename that magisk apk file to zip format.
Step 3: simple! Go to recovery (twrp) menu and then install magisk zip(the one you convert from apk to zip file) and it's done.
Step 4: sucess! You can check with root check apk also

For me it worked. Let me know if it's working for you all guys

Cheers
JA

chapoletada

Feb 24, 2021
Guys finally I found out a easy method for rooting sm-t295 without ap. Or Odin software or a computer. It worked 100%

Step 1: make sure you've installed twrp menu before you go under this procedure
Step 2: download magisk apk and install it.
Step 3 now after installing the apk make sure you rename that magisk apk file to zip format.
Step 3: simple! Go to recovery (twrp) menu and then install magisk zip(the one you convert from apk to zip file) and it's done.
Step 4: sucess! You can check with root check apk also

For me it worked. Let me know if it's working for you all guys

Cheers
JA

Noob here, how to install twrp?

messiremax

Sep 5, 2010
Algeria
hi everyone, and thanks for all the work...
i m on Android 9 Update 1 (XXU1ASH7)
can i go with your file???
you say put the TWRP file in Odin/AP but i didnt find it in your attachements.

Salvator64

Apr 18, 2021
Hello people. It's been a while since I rooted a phone. I have a tablet galaxy tab a 8 inch 2019 running Android 10. Tried to follow instructions at the first page but I can't do it. Tried also to flash android 9 in case that was the problem but also failed. Any advice would be appreciated. I read all pages and I got even more confused 😕

Viggen66

Mar 22, 2009
Salvator64

It seems Samsung insert a new protection to its tablet, if you change anything from the stock firmware, you only get black screen nothing more, albeit the tablet is working in the background.

Reactions: Salvator64

J.Michael

Jan 20, 2018
Hello people. It's been a while since I rooted a phone. I have a tablet galaxy tab a 8 inch 2019 running Android 10. Tried to follow instructions at the first page but I can't do it. Tried also to flash android 9 in case that was the problem but also failed. Any advice would be appreciated. I read all pages and I got even more confused 😕
Tell us what firmware came on your tablet. Also what firmware you downloaded as "stock", and what firmware you downloaded as Android 9.

When you say "failed", do you mean you flash something and the tablet no longer boots? Or boots, but Magisk not installed? Or no sign that flashing changes anything?

Reactions: Talich52

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Salvator64

It seems Samsung insert a new protection to its tablet, if you change anything from the stock firmware, you only get black screen nothing more, albeit the tablet is working in the background.
    Tell us what firmware came on your tablet. Also what firmware you downloaded as "stock", and what firmware you downloaded as Android 9.

When you say "failed", do you mean you flash something and the tablet no longer boots? Or boots, but Magisk not installed? Or no sign that flashing changes anything?
    I also have the same problem this happened after I flashed the latest firmware T295XXU4BUD4. Now I cant flash android 9 bootloader and when I tried downgrading it won't allow me to. Can anyone pls help me with this I will send the files if required.
    You cannot downgrade Samsung bootloaders
    I have root on my SM-T295 A8 tablet!!

See my new post: How to Install TWRP and Root T295

Update 19 March 2021
    Tested on T295XXU3BUC3 ROM

Prerequisites:
    Bootloader unlocked - search forums.xda-developers for instructions how to do this.
    OEM unlock on. In Settings/developer options, OEM Unlock slider should be to the right.

I see people still trying to patch files to get root.
    If you flash the TWRP posted by @Talich52, with reboot unchecked you can install Magisk from TWRP.

1. If prerequisites met: install Android 9 bootloader through ODIN
    2. Reboot to system
    3. Go into download mode.
    4. Open ODIN and in the AP slot put TWRP (see attachment below)
    5. Uncheck auto reboot
    6. Flash TWRP
    7. Press vol dn + pwr keys.
    8: When screen goes blank, press vol up + pwr keys.
    9. Keep holding down both keys after reboot.
    10. Tablet will reboot again.
    11. When Samsung logo appears stop pressing pwr key.
    12. When bootloader msg appears, release vol up key, quickly press & release pwr key, and quickly press vol up key until in TWRP.
    13. You will then format (NOT WIPE) data. Answer yes to the format prompt
    14. Clear dalvik/cache if prompted
    15. Install Fix_vendor_9.0.zip or Fix_vendor_10.0.zip. See attached files.
    16. Clear dalvik and cache.
    17. Reboot back into recovery.
    18. Install magisk - see attached
    19. Reboot into system. May reboot again - that's okay
    20. Enjoy!!

Updated (23 March 2020) my Tab A with XXS3ATB2 and got it rooted!!

Attached AP.tar file is for XXU2ASL3 only.

T295-Magisk-AP.tar

Okay, after multiple failed attempts, I read about a method to root my T295. It did not work!! But, I decided to just use Magisk Manager on the boot.img file only. The resultant file would not flash - it will fail. The original boot.img & recovery.img files are 65,536K bytes each. I had to take the Magisk modified boot.img and overlay it onto the original boot.ing file. I did the same for the recovery.img. Then the files would flash successfully. The first thing after booting was to check Magisk Manager. It showed I have Magisk 20.3 installed. So, I tested this with Root Explorer. I did have root!!

If you are going to try this, you need to unlock your boot loader, I think. I have not tried this with a locked bootloader.

Basic instructions

PLEASE READ ALL OF THIS BEFORE STARTING!! VERY IMPORTANT!!

Here are the steps to root your tablet:
    Make a backup of you apps & data before doing this. This procedure will
    wipe all you data.

Go to settings.
    Select software info
    Tap build number 7 times to get into developer mode
    Go back to main settings page.
    Scroll to bottom and select developer mode
    In middle of page find OEM unlocking
    Make sure slider is all the way to the right (should say allow bootloader to be unlocked)

Unlock bootloader:
    1. turn off tablet
    2. press and hold down vol up & vol down keys together
    3. insert usb cable (should already be connected to computer)
    4. when bootloader screen appears, release all keys
    5. press and hold vol up key for 5 seconds, then release
    6. read instructions on screen to unlock bootloader (this will wipe all your data)

After reboot, go through normal setup.

Now for the hard part.

You need to download the complete ROM you have installed on your Tablet.
    It will be better if you have the same ROM version as I do in post in this post (#1).
    You need to unzip the ROM so you can flash it in ODIN.

If you are on the same ROM version as in my post #1, then you can just download my rooted files.

Unzip my downloaded root files zip file.
    Unzip the downloaded ROM files.

In the AP* file, you need to replace my files in the zip: boot.img, recovery.img & vbmeta.img

Start ODIN. Select files for BL*, AP*, CSC* & CP*
    For CSC file, select HOME_CSC*
    *** Uncheck auto reboot ***

Flash ROM.
    After flashing ROM. press vol dn + pwr key
    As soon as screen goes blank press vol up key and hold
    When get into recovery, select data wipe, then reboot
    Set up phone as you normally would.
    After setup, go to Play store and install Magisk Manager. Run Magisk Manager to see if you have root.

Do It Yourself Instructions
    You need to do some research before doing this. This is NOT a walk you by the hand tutorial. You need to learn some things before following these instructions. Learn how to use lz4.exe. Learn how to use simg2img. Learn how to make a .tar file.

Make a backup of you apps & data before doing this. This procedure will
    wipe all you data.

Go to settings.
    Select software info
    Tap build number 7 times to get into developer mode
    Go back to main settings page.
    Scroll to bottom and select developer mode
    In middle of page find OEM unlocking
    Make sure slider is all the way to the right (should say allow bootloader to be unlocked)

Unlock bootloader:
    1. turn off tablet
    2. press and hold down vol up & vol down keys together
    3. insert usb cable (should already be connected to computer)
    4. when bootloader screen appears, release all keys
    5. press and hold vol up key for 5 seconds, then release
    6. read instructions on screen to unlock bootloader (this will wipe all your data)

After reboot, go through normal setup.

Now for the hard part.

You need to download the complete ROM you have installed on your Tablet.
    Extract ROM files
    Extract system.*.lz4, recovery*.lz4 and vbmeta*.lz4
    Use tar to make an AP.tar file with the 3 above files. **Search the Internet if you do not know how to use tar.
    Copy the AP.tar file to your phone. It is better to use adb push to prevent file correuption.
    Install Magisk Manager from Play store.
    Run Magisk Manager. Select install Magisk. Choose Select and Patch a file. Follow directions on screen to patch the AP.tar file.
    Once the AP.tar file has been patched, use adb to pul the file to yur computer.
    Extract the file from the AP.tar file.

Now come the hard part:

You cannot edit .lz4 directly. You have to decompress them. After decompressing system*, use simg2img to decompress the sparse file. Search the Internet if you do not know how to do this.

Now we make our modified files so they will flash in ODIN.

Instructions:
    I used hex editor neo - a windows 10 app
    I opened the stock kernel & recovery files in hex editor neo
    I opened the Magisk modified kernel & recovery files in hex editor neo
    I copied the modified kernel & recovery code onto their respective stock files in hex editor neo
    I saved the stock files & closed hex editor neo.
    I used cygwin to create a tar file: boot.img, recovery.img, vbmeta.img plus other files in original AP*.MD5 file.
    You should also flash all ROM *.MD5 files (BL, CP, CSC) per Magisk instructions.
    New AP.tar contents:
    boot.img
    dtbo.img.lz4
    meta-data
    recovery.img
    system.img.ext4.lz4
    userdata.img.ext4.lz4
    vbmeta.img
    vendor.img.ext4.lz4

I used Odin to flash the tar file

Flash ROM.
    After flashing ROM. press vol dn + pwr key
    As soon as screen goes blank press vol up key and hold
    When get into recovery, select data wipe, then reboot
    Set up phone as you normally would.
    After setup, go to Play store and install Magisk Manager. Run Magisk Manager to see if you have root.

After installing Magisk:

(Powering up normally) → (System with NO Magisk)
    (OEM Recovery Key Combo) → (Splash screen) → (Release all buttons) → (System with Magisk)
    (OEM Recovery Key Combo) → (Splash screen) → (Keep pressing volume up) → (Actual recovery)

Please follow my instructions and the install instructions from Magisk web page.

Magisk Installation
    What system do you use to manipulate the files? (Windows? Linux? Android?)

What is "overlay"? Do you extract the boot.img from the original AP.tar.md5, and from the magisk-patched.tar, copy the magisk-patched-boot.img to the beginning of the original-boot.img, and then replace the boot.img in magisk-patched.tar?

Do you give Odin four files, or just AP? Do you use CSC or HOME_CSC?

In answer to your question, basically, yes.
    I only flash the 3 files in the .tar file

I am on a Windows 10 laptop. Only 3 files need to be modified by Magisk: boot.img, recovery.img, vbmeta.img
    I use Hex Editor Neo for overlaying the modified kernel and recovery files..
    At the end of these 2 stock files is code that needs to be there, thus the 65 MB file size.
    So I open the stock .img files (boot, recovery) in Hex Editor Neo, and copy the modded boot, recovery code into each stock .img file..
    I use cygwin to create the .tar file, then flash with ODIN 3.1.14
    Better Android 9 or Android 10 to root? Which firmware is better and faster for this device (SM-T295)?

Are there any problems with knox for downgrade or root?
    To root 10 android, you need to install the bootloader from the previous firmware 9 android, and then the rooting itself is the same - either patch the kernel and flash, or install TWRP and root the device from it ... The TWRP option is easier, but there is some difficulty in entering TWRP after it installation ...
    On this KNOX device, cropped ...
    In particular, there is no KNOX counter, that is, you can root the device, and then flash the stock firmware and there will be no traces ...
    There is no KNOX flag as such 0x0 and 0x1 ...
    Here find the SM-T295 model: https://www.samsungknox.com/en/knox-platform/supported-devices/2.5+
    Our model does not support KNOX function ...
    There is really a KNOX Guard application in the system, but if you Disable or Remove it, the device will be locked ...
    It is not KNOX that prohibits downgrading the firmware version, but the bootloader. The version of the bootloader cannot be downgraded. From the 10th android you can return to the 9th android, since the version of the bootloader is 3 both there and there, but below you will not be able to install the firmware with versions 2 and 1 of the bootloader ...
    Where does this leave you with respect to booting? Do you have to hold down buttons like you're trying to boot to recovery, then let go at the right time, to boot with Magisk active? Have you booted "normally" since you installed Magisk? Is Magisk still active? Have you shut down completely and then rebooted?

Wu's writeup says, when he's patching an AP file, to install to recovery, the boot.img is patched to "remove the signature of the image to prevent soft bricks". He doesn't explain why the signature would cause a soft brick with an unlocked bootloader and a nulled-out vbmeta. If you're restoring the original signature, it seems like you're flirting with the situation he was trying to avoid.

Will you be posting in the main Magisk thread. Aside from the news of another success, the details of your solution might help Wu improve the automatic patching enough to make manual adjustments unnecessary.

No keypress is required for booting to maintain root.
    I have tried this multiple ways: shutdown/boot & reboot - still have root.
    I have not posted in main Magisk thread yet. Can you give me a link to the main thread where I can post this information?
    USB as in USB-OTG ? I am not sure but I remember a fix being applied for phones which lost OTG function due to constant flashing of different ROMs. Will try to search for it.

Also, kindly share the TWRP you are using if you believe it is stable enough. It would help in creating backup for restoring later if the access issue is sorted

USB as in connect computer to tablet.

Attached is the version of TWRP I am testing.
    The only thing that works is mounting '/system'. You can use file manager to view all files in system.
    Cannot access /data
    Cannot access /sdcard
    Cannot access /external_sd
    Cannot back/restore without access to /sdcard or /external_sd
    You can format /data

T295-TWRP.zip

Inside twrp.zip file is twrp.tar. Inside twrp.tar file is recovery.img.
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone