SM-T295 - Finally rooted tablet!! (updated 19-March-2021)

Search This thread
The device with this screen is in the Downloading firmware mode and it is waiting for uploading files via ODIN, so nothing changes :)
You need to flash the stock firmware T290XXU3CVG3 or at least the stock kernel and vbmeta. I will attach the file with them, try to flash it first by selecting the AP window. If the problem persists, then flash the full firmware T290XXU3CVG3.
Talich and Michael - Thanks once again both of you for your patience with this old fart. I was able to do as you said Talich although the Odin window said fail. It will now boot normally when disconnected from the power supply.
With my new root status I was finally able to modify the playlpm file and now when the usb power supply is connected it starts to boot but now it gets stuck on this screen attached and won't go any further. I have to manually press the power button until it shuts down, disconnect from the psu and then press the power button again before it will boot normally. This is the playlpm file I placed in /system/bin:
Code:
#!/system/bin/sh
/system/bin/reboot

Any ideas? Thanks Tony.

Attachments

• IMG_20221005_132419.jpg
    IMG_20221005_132419.jpg
    823.8 KB · Views: 13
Reactions: J.Michael

Talich52

Dec 24, 2010
I won't tell you here, since I'm not a programmer, but just a user with a lot of experience... Look in the market, there may be a program for the necessary actions.
P.S. Perhaps this information will help: The device is easily routed with the Android bootloader 9 even on the latest firmware and works without problems. But there is one point - you can not charge the device when it is turned off, when the charger is connected, the device freezes on the screen, which is shown above. The loader is to blame for this, but I have not tried whether it is possible to install the loader 11 android, since my model is T295 and the loader is already 4 versions, which can no longer be replaced with version 3. The model also has a T290 loader on Android 11 version 3 and maybe a replacement will turn out...
Good luck!

Last edited:
Reactions: vidtek

J.Michael

Recognized Contributor
Jan 20, 2018
Samsung Galaxy Tab A series
Talich and Michael - Thanks once again both of you for your patience with this old fart. I was able to do as you said Talich although the Odin window said fail. It will now boot normally when disconnected from the power supply.
With my new root status I was finally able to modify the playlpm file and now when the usb power supply is connected it starts to boot but now it gets stuck on this screen attached and won't go any further. I have to manually press the power button until it shuts down, disconnect from the psu and then press the power button again before it will boot normally. This is the playlpm file I placed in /system/bin:
Code:
#!/system/bin/sh
/system/bin/reboot

Any ideas? Thanks Tony.
I don't know what the playlpm file is.
You should not modify the system partition. Sometimes it works, sometimes not. Magisk makes it possible to virtually "replace" a file -- you should look into the (very little) required.

So we're back to playlpm: Was there one before you changed it? What did it say? Why did you modify it?

Talich52

Dec 24, 2010
There is a version 4 bootloader in the firmware, which cannot be replaced with a version 3 bootloader from Android 9 - there is a ban on lowering the bootloader version from Google and Samsung. Bootloaders 10 and 11 of Android have enhanced protection and even with an unlocked bootloader, you cannot install a custom (patched) kernel or recovery (TWRP), that is, get Root rights :(

Nel firmware è presente un bootloader versione 4, che non può essere sostituito con un bootloader versione 3 di Android 9: è vietato ridurre la versione del bootloader di Google e Samsung. I bootloader 10 e 11 di Android hanno una protezione avanzata e anche con un bootloader sbloccato, non è possibile installare un kernel o un ripristino (TWRP) o ottenere i diritti di root:(
grazie

I don't know what the playlpm file is.
You should not modify the system partition. Sometimes it works, sometimes not. Magisk makes it possible to virtually "replace" a file -- you should look into the (very little) required.

So we're back to playlpm: Was there one before you changed it? What did it say? Why did you modify it?
There are 2 files in the /system/bin directory that affect the charging regimes of all tablets/phones. /system/bin/lpm is the one in the firmware I have in my system. It was a binary file and I had a look in a hex editor and it was quite a complex affair, detailing how long the charging should take and what happens when the charger is plugged in. /system/bin/playplm is a similar file, but very much smaller with less options. These are the files to modify to make the tablet/phone boot on charger connection. My system just had the single file /system/bin/lpm file so I renamed that to /system.bin/lpm.bak and copied my modified version of /system/bin/playlpm. I did modify the playlpm file to read this:
Code:
#!/system/bin/sh
su
/system/bin/reboot
The original /system/bin/lpm file has over 2000 lines of code.
Tony

Talich52

Dec 24, 2010
I believe that the changes do not work, since the current bootloader is from android 9, with which the device does not charge in the off state. Try to replace the bootloader with a regular android 11, I attach the file.This is a BL file and first unpack it from the zip archive to .tar.md5, select BL or AP in the window and flash it. If there is a problem with startup or Root rights, then flash back the file aboot_vk_T290XXS3ATF1.tar, which I posted above, and I will attach it again.
Good luck!
PS in another related topic, they assured me that the T290 can be rooted with the Android bootloader 11, but I can't check it because I have 2 devices, but the T295 models. Try it and if anything, return (flash back) the bootloader 9 android...

Attachments

• BL_T290XXU3CVG3.tar.md5.zip
    19.8 MB · Views: 15
  • aboot_vk_T290XXS3ATF1.tar
    1.7 MB · Views: 8
Last edited:
I believe that the changes do not work, since the current bootloader is from android 9, with which the device does not charge in the off state. Try to replace the bootloader with a regular android 11, I attach the file.This is a BL file and first unpack it from the zip archive to .tar.md5, select BL or AP in the window and flash it. If there is a problem with startup or Root rights, then flash back the file aboot_vk_T290XXS3ATF1.tar, which I posted above, and I will attach it again.
Good luck!
PS in another related topic, they assured me that the T290 can be rooted with the Android bootloader 11, but I can't check it because I have 2 devices, but the T295 models. Try it and if anything, return (flash back) the bootloader 9 android...
Talich - I tried the file but resulted in the blue screen with red writing as posted in post #456 in this thread. I re-flashed all 4 files of the original
T290XXS3ATF1 that was originally on this tablet. Back to square one after another 3 days out of my useless life.....

Talich52

Dec 24, 2010
Talich - I tried the file but resulted in the blue screen with red writing as posted in post #456 in this thread. I re-flashed all 4 files of the original
T290XXS3ATF1 that was originally on this tablet. Back to square one after another 3 days out of my useless life.....
I suppose it was enough to flash the android 9 bootloader back, that is, the aboot_vk_T290XXS3ATF1 file, and not go full circle. Unfortunately, such a dilemma is either Root-rights with the Android 9 bootloader, but then the charging of the switched off device does not work. But frankly, I don’t understand why they turn off the device, even if it eats up 2-3% of the total charge overnight?
But in general, every evening I put the device on charge without turning it off ... The battery is in excellent condition :)
P.S. I made a mistake by recommending to flash the full file of BL bootloaders for android 11! there was no need to return the vk file (vaultkeeper.img), and we also returned the original vbmeta file, and did not leave the patched Magisk. If you have the strength and desire, then repeat everything, but only flash the aboot.mbn file for Android 11, which I will attach for installation via ODIN.

Attachments

• aboot.mbn_T290XXU3CVG3.tar
    1.1 MB · Views: 18
Last edited:
In the end, I have flashed it all back to as it was when I bought it and then took every modified file I could find and flashed that into the BL and AP slots.

The result is a rooted tablet with magisk and twrp installed and it now boots when the power is applied.

I have no idea which file did it, I must have flashed about half a dozen, but I got the result I have been looking for - yay!

I should have taken more care and documented each stage which is what I normally do, but I was past caring and just went for it.......

Thank you to all on this thread, particularly Michael and Talich.

J.Michael

Recognized Contributor
Jan 20, 2018
In the end, I have flashed it all back to as it was when I bought it and then took every modified file I could find and flashed that into the BL and AP slots.

The result is a rooted tablet with magisk and twrp installed and it now boots when the power is applied.

I have no idea which file did it, I must have flashed about half a dozen, but I got the result I have been looking for - yay!

I should have taken more care and documented each stage which is what I normally do, but I was past caring and just went for it.......

Thank you to all on this thread, particularly Michael and Talich.
It's a pretty safe bet that only the last file flashed to each partition matters. But if you took a flock of tar files and ran Odin using two tar files at a time, it's hard to predict what came from where -- AP and BL are not partitions, they are just the way Samsung organizes their firmware delivery. Each tar file contains one or more files, each of those files is a partition image.

Can you identify the half-dozen files you flashed, and check their contents to see if any partition names are duplicated? And maybe check to see if the duplicated names' files happened to be identical?

It's a pretty safe bet that only the last file flashed to each partition matters. But if you took a flock of tar files and ran Odin using two tar files at a time, it's hard to predict what came from where -- AP and BL are not partitions, they are just the way Samsung organizes their firmware delivery. Each tar file contains one or more files, each of those files is a partition image.

Can you identify the half-dozen files you flashed, and check their contents to see if any partition names are duplicated? And maybe check to see if the duplicated names' files happened to be identical?
Michael - I had wondered about the names Odin uses to separate files as it seems BL and AP are interchangeable in some cases, that led me to suspect what you have said about being unrelated to actual partitions. It will take me a while to go through the files unpack them and get the information you require. It will obviously help everyone to know what is what, please be patient it will take me some time to gather the information-I should have done my usual documentation...doh!

Reactions: J.Michael

Talich52

Dec 24, 2010
Congratulations on solving the issue :) If it is not difficult, then install the attached program and make a screenshot of the Firmware Information tab. It may have been possible to root the device with the android bootloader 11 and therefore the charging works in the off state. By the name of the loader, it will be clear that it is from android 9 or 11... Thanks!

Attachments

• PhoneInfo_v3.8.5.apk
    5.7 MB · Views: 12
Looks like I spoke too soon, this morning when I switched on the ignition (or whatever you call an EV power up state) and power was applied to the tablet I got the ususal hang with the Samsung logo. Previously it must have been actually switched on so fooled me into thinking it was powering up properly...sigh....silly old fart should have known it wouldn't be that easy.

Talich - here are the screenshots from your programme.

Given root rights and inserting my /system/bin/playlpm file; the system still hangs on boot whenpower is applied. I ensured the file has the correct attributes w+r+x

Tried deleting the /system/bin/lpm file but it refuses to budge. Perhaps if I could get rid of that I may be able to sort the boot hang.

Now stuck ...... again!

TonyScreenshot_20221013-174153.jpgScreenshot_20221013-174227.jpg

J.Michael

Recognized Contributor
Jan 20, 2018
Talich - here are the screenshots from your programme.

Given root rights and inserting my /system/bin/playlpm file; the system still hangs on boot whenpower is applied. I ensured the file has the correct attributes w+r+x

Tried deleting the /system/bin/lpm file but it refuses to budge. Perhaps if I could get rid of that I may be able to sort the boot hang.

Now stuck ...... again!

TonyView attachment 5733741View attachment 5733751
What is this "playlpm" file? Why are you messing with it? How did you mess with it?

Have you searched the site? Google led me to this thread where @callumw was ultimately successful.

What is this "playlpm" file? Why are you messing with it? How did you mess with it?

Have you searched the site? Google led me to this thread where @callumw was ultimately successful.
Michael, thank you for helping. The playplm file is exactly as Callum posted, I have tried both versions, as I posted in #487 this thread. It would seem to me that Samsung have messed around with this new /system/bin/lpm file (which doesn't seem to appear in older devices), extending the functionality to cover all sorts of eventualities with charging instead of the playlpm file which is not there at all. I have searched every site under google and duckduck with no joy.

My issue now is I seem unable to move/delete/rename the /system/bin/lpm file. It just stubbornly refuses to be tampered with, even though I have read/write and root rights for this folder. Just weird, I use Linux; I am comfortable with the cli and simple programming, rarely resort to Windows although there is no decent equivalent for Odin so use a VM to flash files in Odin with win 8.1. I have tried ES and Total Commander maybe there is another root file manager you could recommend for Android?
Cheers Tony

J.Michael

Recognized Contributor
Jan 20, 2018
Michael, thank you for helping. The playplm file is exactly as Callum posted, I have tried both versions, as I posted in #487 this thread. It would seem to me that Samsung have messed around with this new /system/bin/lpm file (which doesn't seem to appear in older devices), extending the functionality to cover all sorts of eventualities with charging instead of the playlpm file which is not there at all. I have searched every site under google and duckduck with no joy.

My issue now is I seem unable to move/delete/rename the /system/bin/lpm file. It just stubbornly refuses to be tampered with, even though I have read/write and root rights for this folder. Just weird, I use Linux; I am comfortable with the cli and simple programming, rarely resort to Windows although there is no decent equivalent for Odin so use a VM to flash files in Odin with win 8.1. I have tried ES and Total Commander maybe there is another root file manager you could recommend for Android?
Cheers Tony
You are generally advised not to try to change /system. Magisk has a facility that enables "overlaying" or "masking" files, but it only works when Magisk is active. I think I've also seen cautions about when in the boot process a file will be used -- Magisk can't "mask" until past a certain point.

The talk about using a shell script makes it seem there is an Android running when you think your device is shut down. And it uses at least some files in /system. So the question becomes "what boot image is it using?"

Have you tried making a Magisk module to replace this file?

Did you try the instructions involving remounting /system? (After reading Wu's warning that just remounting could trip the tamper protections?)

You are generally advised not to try to change /system. Magisk has a facility that enables "overlaying" or "masking" files, but it only works when Magisk is active. I think I've also seen cautions about when in the boot process a file will be used -- Magisk can't "mask" until past a certain point.

The talk about using a shell script makes it seem there is an Android running when you think your device is shut down. And it uses at least some files in /system. So the question becomes "what boot image is it using?"

Have you tried making a Magisk module to replace this file?

Did you try the instructions involving remounting /system? (After reading Wu's warning that just remounting could trip the tamper protections?)
I haven't tried making a Magisk module, no. Wu's warning? Can you tell me where to find it please?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I have root on my SM-T295 A8 tablet!!

See my new post: How to Install TWRP and Root T295

Update 19 March 2021
    Tested on T295XXU3BUC3 ROM

Prerequisites:
    Bootloader unlocked - search forums.xda-developers for instructions how to do this.
    OEM unlock on. In Settings/developer options, OEM Unlock slider should be to the right.

I see people still trying to patch files to get root.
    If you flash the TWRP posted by @Talich52, with reboot unchecked you can install Magisk from TWRP.

1. If prerequisites met: install Android 9 bootloader through ODIN
    2. Reboot to system
    3. Go into download mode.
    4. Open ODIN and in the AP slot put TWRP (see attachment below)
    5. Uncheck auto reboot
    6. Flash TWRP
    7. Press vol dn + pwr keys.
    8: When screen goes blank, press vol up + pwr keys.
    9. Keep holding down both keys after reboot.
    10. Tablet will reboot again.
    11. When Samsung logo appears stop pressing pwr key.
    12. When bootloader msg appears, release vol up key, quickly press & release pwr key, and quickly press vol up key until in TWRP.
    13. You will then format (NOT WIPE) data. Answer yes to the format prompt
    14. Clear dalvik/cache if prompted
    15. Install Fix_vendor_9.0.zip or Fix_vendor_10.0.zip. See attached files.
    16. Clear dalvik and cache.
    17. Reboot back into recovery.
    18. Install magisk - see attached
    19. Reboot into system. May reboot again - that's okay
    20. Enjoy!!

Updated (23 March 2020) my Tab A with XXS3ATB2 and got it rooted!!

Attached AP.tar file is for XXU2ASL3 only.

T295-Magisk-AP.tar

Okay, after multiple failed attempts, I read about a method to root my T295. It did not work!! But, I decided to just use Magisk Manager on the boot.img file only. The resultant file would not flash - it will fail. The original boot.img & recovery.img files are 65,536K bytes each. I had to take the Magisk modified boot.img and overlay it onto the original boot.ing file. I did the same for the recovery.img. Then the files would flash successfully. The first thing after booting was to check Magisk Manager. It showed I have Magisk 20.3 installed. So, I tested this with Root Explorer. I did have root!!

If you are going to try this, you need to unlock your boot loader, I think. I have not tried this with a locked bootloader.

Basic instructions

PLEASE READ ALL OF THIS BEFORE STARTING!! VERY IMPORTANT!!

Here are the steps to root your tablet:
    Make a backup of you apps & data before doing this. This procedure will
    wipe all you data.

Go to settings.
    Select software info
    Tap build number 7 times to get into developer mode
    Go back to main settings page.
    Scroll to bottom and select developer mode
    In middle of page find OEM unlocking
    Make sure slider is all the way to the right (should say allow bootloader to be unlocked)

Unlock bootloader:
    1. turn off tablet
    2. press and hold down vol up & vol down keys together
    3. insert usb cable (should already be connected to computer)
    4. when bootloader screen appears, release all keys
    5. press and hold vol up key for 5 seconds, then release
    6. read instructions on screen to unlock bootloader (this will wipe all your data)

After reboot, go through normal setup.

Now for the hard part.

You need to download the complete ROM you have installed on your Tablet.
    It will be better if you have the same ROM version as I do in post in this post (#1).
    You need to unzip the ROM so you can flash it in ODIN.

If you are on the same ROM version as in my post #1, then you can just download my rooted files.

Unzip my downloaded root files zip file.
    Unzip the downloaded ROM files.

In the AP* file, you need to replace my files in the zip: boot.img, recovery.img & vbmeta.img

Start ODIN. Select files for BL*, AP*, CSC* & CP*
    For CSC file, select HOME_CSC*
    *** Uncheck auto reboot ***

Flash ROM.
    After flashing ROM. press vol dn + pwr key
    As soon as screen goes blank press vol up key and hold
    When get into recovery, select data wipe, then reboot
    Set up phone as you normally would.
    After setup, go to Play store and install Magisk Manager. Run Magisk Manager to see if you have root.

Do It Yourself Instructions
    You need to do some research before doing this. This is NOT a walk you by the hand tutorial. You need to learn some things before following these instructions. Learn how to use lz4.exe. Learn how to use simg2img. Learn how to make a .tar file.

Make a backup of you apps & data before doing this. This procedure will
    wipe all you data.

Go to settings.
    Select software info
    Tap build number 7 times to get into developer mode
    Go back to main settings page.
    Scroll to bottom and select developer mode
    In middle of page find OEM unlocking
    Make sure slider is all the way to the right (should say allow bootloader to be unlocked)

Unlock bootloader:
    1. turn off tablet
    2. press and hold down vol up & vol down keys together
    3. insert usb cable (should already be connected to computer)
    4. when bootloader screen appears, release all keys
    5. press and hold vol up key for 5 seconds, then release
    6. read instructions on screen to unlock bootloader (this will wipe all your data)

After reboot, go through normal setup.

Now for the hard part.

You need to download the complete ROM you have installed on your Tablet.
    Extract ROM files
    Extract system.*.lz4, recovery*.lz4 and vbmeta*.lz4
    Use tar to make an AP.tar file with the 3 above files. **Search the Internet if you do not know how to use tar.
    Copy the AP.tar file to your phone. It is better to use adb push to prevent file correuption.
    Install Magisk Manager from Play store.
    Run Magisk Manager. Select install Magisk. Choose Select and Patch a file. Follow directions on screen to patch the AP.tar file.
    Once the AP.tar file has been patched, use adb to pul the file to yur computer.
    Extract the file from the AP.tar file.

Now come the hard part:

You cannot edit .lz4 directly. You have to decompress them. After decompressing system*, use simg2img to decompress the sparse file. Search the Internet if you do not know how to do this.

Now we make our modified files so they will flash in ODIN.

Instructions:
    I used hex editor neo - a windows 10 app
    I opened the stock kernel & recovery files in hex editor neo
    I opened the Magisk modified kernel & recovery files in hex editor neo
    I copied the modified kernel & recovery code onto their respective stock files in hex editor neo
    I saved the stock files & closed hex editor neo.
    I used cygwin to create a tar file: boot.img, recovery.img, vbmeta.img plus other files in original AP*.MD5 file.
    You should also flash all ROM *.MD5 files (BL, CP, CSC) per Magisk instructions.
    New AP.tar contents:
    boot.img
    dtbo.img.lz4
    meta-data
    recovery.img
    system.img.ext4.lz4
    userdata.img.ext4.lz4
    vbmeta.img
    vendor.img.ext4.lz4

I used Odin to flash the tar file

Flash ROM.
    After flashing ROM. press vol dn + pwr key
    As soon as screen goes blank press vol up key and hold
    When get into recovery, select data wipe, then reboot
    Set up phone as you normally would.
    After setup, go to Play store and install Magisk Manager. Run Magisk Manager to see if you have root.

After installing Magisk:

(Powering up normally) → (System with NO Magisk)
    (OEM Recovery Key Combo) → (Splash screen) → (Release all buttons) → (System with Magisk)
    (OEM Recovery Key Combo) → (Splash screen) → (Keep pressing volume up) → (Actual recovery)

Please follow my instructions and the install instructions from Magisk web page.

Magisk Installation
    What system do you use to manipulate the files? (Windows? Linux? Android?)

What is "overlay"? Do you extract the boot.img from the original AP.tar.md5, and from the magisk-patched.tar, copy the magisk-patched-boot.img to the beginning of the original-boot.img, and then replace the boot.img in magisk-patched.tar?

Do you give Odin four files, or just AP? Do you use CSC or HOME_CSC?

In answer to your question, basically, yes.
    I only flash the 3 files in the .tar file

I am on a Windows 10 laptop. Only 3 files need to be modified by Magisk: boot.img, recovery.img, vbmeta.img
    I use Hex Editor Neo for overlaying the modified kernel and recovery files..
    At the end of these 2 stock files is code that needs to be there, thus the 65 MB file size.
    So I open the stock .img files (boot, recovery) in Hex Editor Neo, and copy the modded boot, recovery code into each stock .img file..
    I use cygwin to create the .tar file, then flash with ODIN 3.1.14
    Many thanks for the recompiled BL file --upgrading done!
    Next step will try twrp-3.5 + magisk --for rooting rights.
    If you plan to use TWRP, then you need to disable encryption. To do this, install multidisabler and make format data-yes (no wipe data). Well, then install Magisk.zip for rooting.
    Better Android 9 or Android 10 to root? Which firmware is better and faster for this device (SM-T295)?

Are there any problems with knox for downgrade or root?
    To root 10 android, you need to install the bootloader from the previous firmware 9 android, and then the rooting itself is the same - either patch the kernel and flash, or install TWRP and root the device from it ... The TWRP option is easier, but there is some difficulty in entering TWRP after it installation ...
    On this KNOX device, cropped ...
    In particular, there is no KNOX counter, that is, you can root the device, and then flash the stock firmware and there will be no traces ...
    There is no KNOX flag as such 0x0 and 0x1 ...
    Here find the SM-T295 model: https://www.samsungknox.com/en/knox-platform/supported-devices/2.5+
    Our model does not support KNOX function ...
    There is really a KNOX Guard application in the system, but if you Disable or Remove it, the device will be locked ...
    It is not KNOX that prohibits downgrading the firmware version, but the bootloader. The version of the bootloader cannot be downgraded. From the 10th android you can return to the 9th android, since the version of the bootloader is 3 both there and there, but below you will not be able to install the firmware with versions 2 and 1 of the bootloader ...
    Ok, its been some time since i last played with my SM-T295 and now i am thinking of updating it. Just need @Talich52 , @gcrutchr , @J.Michael or anybody else to help me out so that i dont mess it up !

* First my current status:

Device: SM-T295
    Bootloader: Unlocked and Rooted with TWRP and + Magisk 23.0
    CSC: INS
    BL VersionL T295XXS3ATB2
    CSC: T295ODM3ATC1
    Android Version: P-9

* I have already downloaded the latest update (R-11) through Frija - T295XXU4CUF7/T295ODM4CUF8 (INS)

## Now, i know that i need to keep BL version at 3 for root rights. My questions are:

1) Can i replace the BL file (.tar) in R-11 firmware by simply unpacking and repacking the .RAR or it requires linux for .lz4?

2) From which specific firmware should i extract the BL Version 3 file to be used as replacement?

3) Is there any specific Odin version which works best for flashing or should i just use the latest v3.14.1?

3) From what i gather, patching files is no longer required to get root. But i think my preinstalled TWRP will be wiped during update through Odin so i should flash TWRP again ? Will reflashing TWRP also require formatting data again to read storage files?

4) Do i need to flash specific vendor_fix zip for R-11 or can i simply flash multidisabler-samsung-2.7_test zip ?

1: Use the attached BL
    2. See #1
    3. Use attached TWRP & disabler...yes formatinfgis required - SAVE YOUR DATA
    4. the attached disabler will fix everything

See this link for install instructions: