SM-T377P Flashing Assistance Would Be Awesome...

Search This thread

HappyFork

Feb 7, 2022
Samsung Galaxy Tab S8
So, Im a contractor. Field Services mostly. Break/Fix and Installs for POS mostly.

Anyway, a recent contract I picked up found me installing new, cheap music solutions for a chain of gas stations im sure you've heard of. Regardless, the tab 8's they were using prior are old enough that they didn't want them back. I figured, well, it's a chance to break stuff potentially, and proceeded to do just that, unintentionally really.

Problem is, my dumbass jumped the gun and didn't really know much about MDM and wiped the cache before having the idea of calling my Buyer, and asking them to remove it from their MDM lineup. They did so, but it's essentially too late to matter now. Tablet just boots to the Sprint Logo and never goes past it. Odd, considering nothing ever sucessfully flashed the darn thing, but it's doing it nonetheless. I've tried MANY versions of Odin trying to flash TWRP but it always says MDM Mode: Cant Download on the tablet. It's safe to assume i've done everything youre not supposed to do in banging my head against the wall with this thing.

I've searched the forums over and over again, downloaded so many firmwares that I'd not be surprised if the internet held no more options than the ones I've gotten. Why would I need the firmware if TWRP never flashed? Because I've tried damn near everything I think. Including Heimdall. Im on a dual boot machine, and would prefer a Linux based solution if there is one to be had, but can go for Windows also I suppose.

What else...ADB and Fastboot both never detect the tablet, but I can lsusb and see the device, which mode it's in ( usually Download Mode, but also shows up as MTP if I am in Recovery ), and the bus info. If I go to recovery, and use update via ADB, obviously, ADB sees the device then, and I can sideload, but nothing works so far. It' always gives me a Error 21: Footer is Wrong no matter what I try to sideload.

Odin I do not remember what error it gave specifically, I'll try to hunt up a log somewhere, but I know when trying to flash the TWRP it would say something about write protection I think maybe? Not entirely sure. When just trying to flash the firmware, it would go past aboot.mbn to the next file and then fail, every single time.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. It's a cheap little paperweight, but it's a learning experience.

HappyFork

Feb 7, 2022
Samsung Galaxy Tab S8
Nobody? Although I am not surprised, I am a bit disheartened. Mostly because it really is a learning experience really. It's difficult to express what my mind is trying to learn at any given time let alone search for an answer, being the worst case of ADD i've ever seen. Heh.

I've noticed that I can successfully flash some files, but not most others, and flashing said files seems to make no difference, probably because boot.img nor recovery.img are among the files that will successfully flash via sideload. Aboot.mbn, and Modem.bin both flashed I believe, and by that I mean, flash without giving me some sort of error such as failed to unpack lack packet or some such.

Trying to magic out how the damned things works hasn't gone great either. I"ve discovered the magical linux tool binwalk which is great, but either limited by what it can do, or im just too uneducated in it's proper usage despite reading the man over and over again....mostly.

Strangest thing...extracting the files examined with binwalk sometimes produces many magnitudes of size bigger files than the file contained. I am not exaggerating either. Extract a 1GB file and it produces less than that initially, then extract those files and I swear to God I get somewhere like 40GB, which is impossible as far as I"ve ever seen.