[SM-T505] Samsung Galaxy Tab A7 LTE GSI flashing guide

Search This thread

duyfken

Mar 17, 2011
duyfkenindustries.com.au
Also, for those of us who don't need root, do we need to use magisk? Is the Magisk AP patching for obtaining root and the recovery/dynapatch/kernel for getting the GSI up and running?

Hausemaster

Dec 2, 2020
Also, for those of us who don't need root, do we need to use magisk? Is the Magisk AP patching for obtaining root and the recovery/dynapatch/kernel for getting the GSI up and running?
I initially tried to flash recovery by first flashing vbmeta but it ended up in a softlock, the process went smoothly on the magisk patched way...

Hausemaster

Dec 2, 2020
So, to put it simply, I first tried the non root way which didn't work out for me so I stuck to patching using magisk, but do try it without root, it'll be interesting if it works for you...
Edit: I tried using the vbmeta from here

Hausemaster

Dec 2, 2020
Magisk isn't mandatory for recovery, kernel or dynapatch.... So all in all, if you can get recovery installed at flashing vbmeta first, then you don't need magisk...

drsanusi

Nov 22, 2013
For me i take vbmeta and recovery flashing through odin .work nice. As of rom i tried
Lineage19.1 1052022 works very nice .and smooth ....with ph root app
Others
Xtended 12.1 from nippon ports ...not working stock at logo boot .( i read some notice some where ??they dont support enforcing linux .so they dont boot ??)
Corvous rom 2.1 stuck also on boot logo

Can we share our experiences which rom boot nice ? And how ?
Thank u ......was great instruction @Hausemaster

Hausemaster

Dec 2, 2020
Hey, @drsanusi ,
I've only tried ProtonAOSP, Lineage OS, and crDroid and they booted just fine with the standard steps...
And I've found a few things that can be worked around, and I added them in the OP... So, if you have any workarounds or any roms that work, do let me know, I'll add it in the OP...

• Love
Reactions: drsanusi

Hausemaster

Dec 2, 2020
Hey everyone, I'm going to stop updating this post from now on, as I'm going back to stock soon...
Add once this device gets its last update, I'll come back to the modding scene again!
It was a wild ride, and I learnt a lot on the way, but, it's time I bid my farewell, goodbye for now!

drsanusi

Nov 22, 2013
Here with great news. I found fix for brightness. Control.
Now on proton aosp gsi .after flashing kernel..just flash (( permissivier v5.)) And then format system . all working fine .
I think well works on all ROM's that boot
Tested on proton aosp

mrspeccy

Dec 19, 2016
Copenhagen
Thank you for the guide. I am running AndyYan's LineageOS 19.1 on my SM-T505. The fixes for the non-working brightness slider proposed in several threads here on XDA did not work for me (maybe it is Android 12, maybe the securize option; it seems that phh-on-boot.sh is not really used, although my partition is RW and the file is patched successfully).

I therefore made a Magisk module that issues the "echo 100 > ..." command mentioned in the OP after every boot. See attached. Just flash as a Magisk module.

Attachments

• SM-T505-brightness-fix.zip
    2.3 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Just before we get started, I would like to say that you will not brick your device if you follow the steps as is without any, and I mean any deviations.
    Read what works and what doesn't first!
    Okay, enough preface, let's jump right in!

Firstly, pre-requisites(hardware):-

1.A micro SD card

2. A windows PC, windows 7 or later (32 or 64 bit)

3. A USB Type-C cable

4. A Samsung galaxy tab a7 running Android 11 with January 2022 Security Patch

Pre-requisites (software on the pc), you'll need:-
    1.Stock firmware:
    from this link, select your respective country and download the firmware with January 2022 security patch level, then download it
    1.1 After downloading it, extract it on the PC and copy the AP file to your micro SD card, as we need it on the tab later

2. Samsung USB drivers
    download them from here and install them on your pc, it'll take a while but it's essential for this process
    https://developer.samsung.com/android-usb-driver
    2.1 Reboot your PC after installing the drivers

3. Download TWRP 3.6.1 beta 5 from here
    this is our custom recovery

4. Download magisk Canary apk from here
    https://github.com/topjohnwu/Magisk
    And copy the apk to your micro SD card

5. Download the SM-T500-GSI-kernel.zip from here
    And copy this file to your micro SD card

6. Download dynapatch from the file attached below credits to @redymedan for developing this!
    Then move it to your micro SD card

7. Download the GSI image of your choice, and (make sure that it doesn't exceed 3.3GB after extraction) extract it from .img.xz format to .img format and then copy it to the micro SD card
    7.1 If your gsi doesn't have gapps or you want to flash a system mod (eg. Brightness fix) then download a vndklite variant of your gsi, as system is mounted as RW in vndklite gsi, where's system is mounted as read only in normal gsi images
    GSI type should be "arm64_ab" if you want to you can also use vndklite variant!

8. Download Odin and extract it

These are all the pre requisites, and yes, every single one is required.

Process to flash GSI:

1) Unlock the bootloader
    To unlock the bootloader, follow the steps from here...
    https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...4-unlock-bootloader-root-with-magisk.4185993/

2) After that patch the AP image we copied to the micro SD card earlier and then copy the patched ap to the micro sd card and then to the pc. Steps of patching can be found here

3. After patching the AP image, copy the patched image from downloads folder to your micro sd card

4. After that turn your device off

5. After the device is fully powered off, hold both volume up and volume down buttons simultaneously and connect it to your pc, then click volume up button once during the prompt to enter download mode

6) After entering download mode, select the BL, CP, and CSC (do not choose HOME_CSC!) files from the extracted firmware, after doing that, for AP, select the patched AP file we copied earlier and then click start on Odin.

7. After the flash is successfully finished, reboot your device and set it up, after setup install the magisk Canary apk from the micro SD card

8. After installing the apk, open it, and click 'OK' on additional setup prompt and the device will reboot after a few seconds

9. After the device starts up, turn it off again, and put it in download mode by holding both volume buttons simultaneously and then connecting it to your pc

10. After that, uncheck everything in Odin except AP, and select the TWRP file we downloaded as the AP file, and then click start

11. After the flash is complete, turn the device off and then hold power+volume up and then immediately connect it to your pc immediately

12. You will get warning about custom binary, and xyz, but ignore it and press power button once, then you'll enter the TWRP recovery

13. After entering TWRP flash the dynapatch zip file from your micro SD card

14. After flashing it. use the reboot to recovery option

15. After you device booted to recovery again, go to Wipe>Advanced Wipe and then wipe dalvik cache and cache partition

16. After wiping them, go back to the install section, click on install image

17. After that select your GSI .img file you extracted earlier

18. Then it will ask you on which partition it should flash the image onto

19. You have to select 'System Image' partition (if it isn't available, then flash dynapatch again and reboot to recovery, do it as may times until the System Image partition shows up)

20. Then swipe to flash it,

21. After it flashes, go back to install and install the T500 Kernel zip we put in the micro SD card earlier (this is to prevent reboots after a few seconds)

22. And bam, you're done, set the GSI up, and enjoy!

Now, let's get onto what works and what doesn't

What works:- (will add more as I keep testing)
    Boot
    Touchscreen
    SD Card
    Cameras
    Speaker (follow point 7 in additional notes for 4-speaker audio!)
    Headphones (disable A2DP offload in PHH settings first)
    Wifi
    Bluetooth
    Mobile data
    Wifi hotspot
    Microphone
    Power button
    Volume Buttons
    4G mobile data (go to mobile networks and select preferred network as 4G first)
    Auto rotation
    Extra dim
    SMS
    Charging
    HW acceleration
    MTP
    USB Tethering
    OTG
    Brightness*
    ( Run these commands in a terminal emulator
    su
    echo 100 > /sys/class/backlight/panel0-backlight/brightness)(this is not persistent you have to run this everytime you reboot or you can setup a script or something that runs it during boot time itself)

What doesn't work:-
    VoLTE
    In call audio

Tested roms:
    1. Pixel experience
    2.ProtonAOSP
    3.crDroid
    4. Lineage OS

Not tested:-
    Cast (i can't test this I don't have anything to cast to)
    * Also be sure to read the important notes as it has highlighted some common issues and their workarounds...

Now credits!
    To team XDA for keeping this forum alive and well,
    @phhusson for developing GSI images that actually made this possible
    @topjohnwu for creating magisk
    @agreenbhm for the TWRP image and for helping me,
    @duyfken for correcting the firmware links, and also, for informing me to add the type of GSI for this device!
    And finally all other members of XDA for taking interest in the modding scene,
    Thank you!
    Thank you for the guide. I am running AndyYan's LineageOS 19.1 on my SM-T505. The fixes for the non-working brightness slider proposed in several threads here on XDA did not work for me (maybe it is Android 12, maybe the securize option; it seems that phh-on-boot.sh is not really used, although my partition is RW and the file is patched successfully).

I therefore made a Magisk module that issues the "echo 100 > ..." command mentioned in the OP after every boot. See attached. Just flash as a Magisk module.
    Hey everyone, I'm going to stop updating this post from now on, as I'm going back to stock soon...
    Add once this device gets its last update, I'll come back to the modding scene again!
    It was a wild ride, and I learnt a lot on the way, but, it's time I bid my farewell, goodbye for now!
    Wow. Thank u very very much..will prepared guide ...every thing is clear

One thing i might clarify which is found on pazinuss. Guide. Where he put kernell

Q: Which GSI variant should I choose?
    A: arm64 ab. Use the vndklite variant if you want to flash gapps or fix the brightness

The brightness fix is there with kernel also .

Thank you .....🖐️🖐️
    I didn't mention it, as I found out that extra dim intensity control does the job just fine, but I'll add it in either way, thanks!
    I'm no longer maintaining this thread and can't test anything, this worked fine on A11 stock, idk about a12
    I was using A12 and installed the version you said A11 2022 January patch but the kernal patch still says A12