• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

SM-T813 Stuck in download and can't reflash because computer can't see it. Help!

Search This thread

joecaloric

Feb 23, 2009
I know I'm not the only person to have been in this situation, but every thread I've seen either has no solution, or the standard "flash with Odin" advice.

I have an SM-T813 which was running Lineage OS 16. It was fine. Had worked for years. I thought I'd try Lineage OS 17, so in preparation, I tried to flash the newest TWRP. Maybe I missed a step, maybe it was just a bad flash, but afterwards the device booted to a screen just like download mode only without the green background. Just black with "Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 Powered by Android. Apparently my recovery is corrupt.

It says:
RECOVERY BOOTING.....
Could not do normal boot.
PRODUCT NAME: SM-T813
CURRENT BINARY: Custom
SYSTEM STATUS: Custom
FAP LOCK: OFF
WARRANTY VOID: 0x1 (2)
QUALCOMM SECURFEBOOT: ENABLE (CSB)
RP SWERV: S1, T1, H1, R1, A2, P1
SECURE DOWNLOAD: ENABLE
download mode !!

At this point everyone gives advice to use Odin or Heimdall to flash a new recovery/ROM. Ok, I know how to do that, BUT, the problem is that I can't get my tablet to connect to my computer to do it.

I have tried multiple cables in multiple USB ports on the computer. Nothing. I have checked with adb devices. The list is empty. The computer is not seeing the tablet.

On the tablet itself, there are only two options. I can be in the mode described above, or I can enter regular download mode (with the green background). That is all I can do. I cannot even turn the tablet off. If I try it just reboots as above.

Does anyone have any advice for me at this point? I don't care if I have to reset or reflash. That is fine, but at the moment I have no way to move forward.

Thanks in advance!

joecaloric

Feb 23, 2009
@joecaloric perhaps it's worth a try to use fastboot.
Afaik adb doesn't work in download mode and therefore can't see it.
When device is in download mode connect it via USB and type in terminal
"fastboot flash recovery <name of recovery you want to flash>.img"
afterwards either turn it off and reboot to recovery or
enter "fastboot reboot" and try to directly boot into recovery.
Of course fastboot has to be installed before.
I did that in Linux so I don't know what is needed for Windows.
Thank you for the suggestion! When I do that, it responds "waiting for device"

Also, fastboot devices gives a blank list.

I can't figure out how to make the tablet visible to the computer.

I tried connecting it to my Mac, just to see. Before I installed drivers, it caused the machine to reboot on connection (also on disconnection). After I installed drivers, it behaves like the PC, as if the tablet is not there.

Last edited:
Thank you for the suggestion! When I do that, it responds "waiting for device"

I can't figure out how to make the tablet visible to the computer.
Sorry, so at the end of my wit.
When it's not seen in fastboot I don't know what else to do.
It seems to me as if its download mode is somehow corrupted.

xn00btoobx

Jul 19, 2021
I dont have a whole lot of experience, but i would guess this is because you need to allow ADB Debugging once you're logged into the device and everything in the developer options