• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

SM-T860 Root (up to date instructions)

Search This thread

FruitSidewalk59

Jan 22, 2017
boston
How i did it (im on november patch stock)

1. unlocked bootloader (youtube helped)
2. install samsung drivers
3. installed twrp.tar by using odin 3.14.1 (placed the twrp.tar in the AP list; uncked auto reboot and ra-partiton)
4. rebooted into download mode (power off device and connect usb to laptop and press Vol up + down together until download mode appears) then ensure the blue box appears on odin before flashing
5. blue box appeared. so flashed the twrp.tar
6. pressed Vol+down to reboot and then immediately pressed vol + Up to boot into twrp
7. Format data, reboot recovery; once in recovery connect to pc to copy over files for next steps
8. Flash encryption disabler (download)
6. Flash canary Magisk (download)
7. Reboot system
8. may hang on first boot, hard reset after 3 mins. Enjoy!!
For upgrading to android 11:

i used odin to update with latest firmware. surpingly i could not install twrp with odin. so i had to use magisk patch AP.tar method and reflash with odin to obtain root and then use TWRP app to install twrp. once twrp is installed then used the above steps 7-10.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Can someone please post upto date instructions to root Galaxy Tab S6,

How to unlock bootloader...
    1. Go to settings/about/software info and tap build number repeatedly until Dev settings is activated
    2. Go into Dev settings, turn on OEM Unlock.
    3. Boot into download mode, (plug in USB, reboot and hold vol up + vol dwn)
    4. Once blue screen appears, long press volume up, until bootloader is unlocked.
    5. In download mode, OEM unlock will show as being "off"

From latest stock firmware...
    1. Unlock bootloader - See HERE (https://t.me/twrp_tabs6/2461)
    2. Boot into download mode you can power off and
    ** FRP=off, OEM=off, KG=checking
    3. Open Odin, uncheck auto reboot
    4. Flash TWRP.tar in Odin (AP slot)
    5. Reboot directly into TWRP
    6. Format data
    7. Flash encryption disabler - HERE (https://mega.nz/#!j5dGQAKY!R4lrZyayKvTWsTgqhakl62qGCRogRCowaKy9vA5khdw)
    8. Flash WETA Kernel - From HERE (https://mega.nz/#F!6hFQkITR!oXvfEfC2mNx7okPPfOEgJA)
    9. Flash Magisk - From HERE (https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=68966662&postcount=1)
    10. Reboot system (not recovery)

Process from existing TWRP (update TWRP)
    1. Boot into existing TWRP
    2. Flash the new TWRP.img to "recovery"
    3. Done, reboot

If you need any help let me know I've rooted everything I can get my hands on. I have yet to make a device a brick. This is just a quick layout I got off telegram. I know that it doesn't explain the little details and if your new you probably wondering a lot of stuff. First thing to say is if you have a PC with Odin and a copy of your firmware from sammobile you can restore the tablet pretty easy. I've never seen a hard brick and bootloops are easy fixes. I think XDA makes to big of a deal on not messing up and warnings. You need to rest assure that most cases are bootloops and are fixable with samsung odin you are safe thats why I only buy samsung now. If you flash stock firmware 100 times it wont damage your device. ALways make a back on to an external MicroSD card the minute you boot into TWRP for the first time. I play it safe I use a OTG usb slash drive and make another backup so I have 2 one on the sdcard and one on the usb flash drive. Then after your done backing up format the data by hitting the wipe key in blue on the screen than hit format data key and type yes. Its to format your internal storage completely because its encrypted. After that flash the disable encryption zip go into install key in TWRP than select storage and hopefully you have all the files on external sd card find the Dm Flash encryption disabler and click it should pop up a swipe to confirm flash swipe to flash. Next hit back key and fine theWETA Kernel zip file and swipe to flash. Than same thing again with magisk I would try magisk 20.4. Reboot to system

Please not just links to instructions for other devices as its not helping and confusing the crap out of me.

I follow the popular link and attempt to download magisk app but that page isn't clear and I don't know what version of magisk manager J should download.

I have tried one version, patched it, flashed it with odin but it fails at the end and doesn't 'pass'

Can someone please post what version of magisk manager to use and instructions for this device not galaxy tab 5se or whatever it is

Please, I beg you guys. Help me root this tablet, its driving me insane and I could almost ****ing cry.

Is it possible for someone to post a start to finish guide here that's upto date and all newcomers can follow? Please?

And please let this post stay admins and don't merge it to other posts that then link to methods written and intended for devices that are not a Samsung Galaxy Tab s6.

I beg you guys, let's make an idiot proof easy to follow relevant A to B complete walk through.

I'm sure many need what I'm requesting. Thank you.

Please not just links to instructions for other devices as its not helping and confusing the crap out of me.

I follow the popular link and attempt to download magisk app but that page isn't clear and I don't know what version of magisk manager J should download.

I have tried one version, patched it, flashed it with odin but it fails at the end and doesn't 'pass'

Can someone please post what version of magisk manager to use and instructions for this device not galaxy tab 5se or whatever it is

Please, I beg you guys. Help me root this tablet, its driving me insane and I could almost ****ing cry.

Is it possible for someone to post a start to finish guide here that's upto date and all newcomers can follow? Please?

And please let this post stay admins and don't merge it to other posts that then link to methods written and intended for devices that are not a Samsung Galaxy Tab s6.

I beg you guys, let's make an idiot proof easy to follow relevant A to B complete walk through.

I'm sure many need what I'm requesting. Thank you.

Hi, Im looking at S6 tablet threads because I plan on buying one in the next month or so. I understand your frustration if your not firmlier . I am really good at rooting and modding although im not a developer I have built a couple custom roms. This is a telegram link im going to see if I can put it together and help.

You'll need a sdcard or USB Otg flash drive or something. Otherwise when you format data you would have to transfer files with TWRP and its a lot harder if your new.

https://t.me/wetatabs6

1. Unlock bootloader, Just like the note 10 you need to turn on developer options and find OEM unlock and turn it on. It might be greyed out if you just bought it if its been more than 7 days you should be able to click it on. Oem unlock is the bootloader unlock. It doesn't unlock the bootloader but it allows you to unlock the bootloader.

Im going to look into see if I can help you out more. Hold in the mean time keep looking and watch bootloader unlock for the galaxy note 10 on youtube its the same process Ive heard.

---------- Post added at 11:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:33 PM ----------

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RTbx2jTkpQ&t=229s

Heres a link to bootloader unlock for the note 10. Its the same thing for the S6 tab. Its the most important thing so you don't brick your device. Also what firmware and model are you on SMT860 or SMT865? You want to download your exact firmware from sammobile which is almost 6gb file so it takes awhile unless you have super fast internet like I do. It took me 2 minutes with 400mb/s speed. Once you get your bootloader unlocked let me know. I believe magisk 19.4 is what people used but im thinking magisk 20.4 would work to. You'll also need TWRP 3.3.1 tar file, Odin for windows you can find the files here make sure to get the twrp .tar file not img at first. Also make sure you get the right one for your model 860 or 865. Also get disable dm-verity force encrypt zip file in the link.

https://mega.nz/#F!Po8DyQZS!4ubq5tu0-gEkOwjMdmfvJA

How to unlock bootloader...
    1. Go to settings/about/software info and tap build number repeatedly until Dev settings is activated
    2. Go into Dev settings, turn on OEM Unlock.
    3. Boot into download mode, (plug in USB, reboot and hold vol up + vol dwn)
    4. Once blue screen appears, long press volume up, until bootloader is unlocked.
    5. In download mode, OEM unlock will show as being "off"

From latest stock firmware...
    1. Unlock bootloader - See HERE (https://t.me/twrp_tabs6/2461)
    2. Boot into download mode you can power off and
    ** FRP=off, OEM=off, KG=checking
    3. Open Odin, uncheck auto reboot
    4. Flash TWRP.tar in Odin (AP slot)
    5. Reboot directly into TWRP
    6. Format data
    7. Flash encryption disabler - HERE (https://mega.nz/#!j5dGQAKY!R4lrZyayKvTWsTgqhakl62qGCRogRCowaKy9vA5khdw)
    8. Flash WETA Kernel - From HERE (https://mega.nz/#F!6hFQkITR!oXvfEfC2mNx7okPPfOEgJA)
    9. Flash Magisk - From HERE (https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=68966662&postcount=1)
    10. Reboot system (not recovery)

Process from existing TWRP (update TWRP)
    1. Boot into existing TWRP
    2. Flash the new TWRP.img to "recovery"
    3. Done, reboot

If you need any help let me know I've rooted everything I can get my hands on. I have yet to make a device a brick. This is just a quick layout I got off telegram. I know that it doesn't explain the little details and if your new you probably wondering a lot of stuff. First thing to say is if you have a PC with Odin and a copy of your firmware from sammobile you can restore the tablet pretty easy. I've never seen a hard brick and bootloops are easy fixes. I think XDA makes to big of a deal on not messing up and warnings. You need to rest assure that most cases are bootloops and are fixable with samsung odin you are safe thats why I only buy samsung now. If you flash stock firmware 100 times it wont damage your device. ALways make a back on to an external MicroSD card the minute you boot into TWRP for the first time. I play it safe I use a OTG usb slash drive and make another backup so I have 2 one on the sdcard and one on the usb flash drive. Then after your done backing up format the data by hitting the wipe key in blue on the screen than hit format data key and type yes. Its to format your internal storage completely because its encrypted. After that flash the disable encryption zip go into install key in TWRP than select storage and hopefully you have all the files on external sd card find the Dm Flash encryption disabler and click it should pop up a swipe to confirm flash swipe to flash. Next hit back key and fine theWETA Kernel zip file and swipe to flash. Than same thing again with magisk I would try magisk 20.4. Reboot to system

So Im on android 10 and doing all the above. After getting into a fresh install a window pops up saying there is a problem with my device and touch controls dont work, however the pen does work. If I dont flash the kernel and encryption disabler it boots fine but it looks like TWRP has issues then.
    How i did it (im on november patch stock)

1. unlocked bootloader (youtube helped)
    2. install samsung drivers
    3. installed twrp.tar by using odin 3.14.1 (placed the twrp.tar in the AP list; uncked auto reboot and ra-partiton)
    4. rebooted into download mode (power off device and connect usb to laptop and press Vol up + down together until download mode appears) then ensure the blue box appears on odin before flashing
    5. blue box appeared. so flashed the twrp.tar
    6. pressed Vol+down to reboot and then immediately pressed vol + Up to boot into twrp
    7. Format data, reboot recovery; once in recovery connect to pc to copy over files for next steps
    8. Flash encryption disabler (download)
    6. Flash canary Magisk (download)
    7. Reboot system
    8. may hang on first boot, hard reset after 3 mins. Enjoy!!